Vollmer Kits

Bernard

I've always have been curious to try and build a Vollmer kit, they're usually expensive when my LHS has them in stock. A total impulse buy, but I came across a lot of 4 buildings at a very good price.....I know they're not Japanese buildings (maybe a future kitbash?) but these kits are fantastic! The details in the buildings and the multi-colored styrene parts is just beautiful. Anybody else make these structures?

Martijn Meerts

Vollmer has some of the best kits. They also have some crappy ones, but they're usually also the cheaper ones.

Vollmer has a really beautiful church/cathedral.

Yeah, they're crazy-expensive for some pieces of molded plastic. I'm not sure if we have any Vollmers yet; I'd like to try one, but not pay for it.  :grin

Vollmer Modells are quite nice.

From my perspective not THAT expensive, but german stuctures are allways expensive, I think because of the multi collored pastic (this is a german standart method)...

The most amazing thing most of the Old time building are at least 20 years old (the basic stucture going 30 )

And the buildings are mostly based on real buildings (Like the "old time post office , which was the Highschool of my father! )

The Skyscaper is located on the other side of the Street in Stuttgart downtown.

Vollmer has a really beautiful church/cathedral.

I Now , thechically it is a church , pariculary the "Kirche Berg".

Sorry the text is only available in German

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berger_Kirche_(Stuttgart)

I knew , i am riding the Train past it nearly ev'ry day , whilst comuting to University...

• Like 1

Cumber - Welcome to the forum and glad to see you posting. I was lucky enough to get 4 Vollmer structure kits at a good price. Recently I've been building Pola, Kirbri, Faller, and Greenmax kits along with the Vollmer. My personal opinion at this point based on the kits I have....Vollmer. The have the greatest amount of detail, the materials they in the kits use are of the highest quality. The Greenmax kits (and I'm referring to the 5 story buildings I recently purchased) are excellent for easy kitbashing because they are flexible in how you want to configure a building but with that flexible there has to be some give and take in the fitting of pieces.

I would recommend all the manufactures I've mentioned it's just that Vollmer really gets into detail. 

Here's my Vollmer Cathedral. I love this structure. There's lots of parts and I painted everything. I hate plastic looking buildings. I did some light weathering and I added some trees and people etc.

I love this Cathedral. It's one of my favorite buildings.

4357967582_e5565afc9f_z.jpg

4357222657_74bb00857b_z.jpg

3259523213_a6ccfca452_z.jpg

• Like 1

I also built this base of this skyscraper from the Vollmer 7720 apartment block buildings. I used 2 of these kits. Then combined them with the Greenmax 2101 building kits. The top apartment section is some old DDR kits.

4273188820_44438a4a53_z.jpg

4272443903_57ce434e4e_z.jpg

The DDR old kits  (I've got a bunch of these in boxes still)

4391943848_354afa0744.jpg

The Vollmer kits I used..and the old built Vero Kits (ddr) before I found unbuilt ones.

3652863153_703c7e1f78_z.jpg

The Greenmax Kit I used...

4217474845_037d0acc35.jpg

• Like 1

This is a Vollmer Kitbashed Baden Station Building I bought off Ebay about 2 years ago. It's a really cool building but I need to do some minor repairs and some major detail work to the building to make it look more aged and realistic looking.

3705967273_1216102931_z.jpg

Over all though I love this old looking tower.

Vollmer 7721..

I have finally found 5 of these kits unbuilt.

I photographed four of them.

5113495014_495f8d3cdf_z.jpg

Anyways I'm basically only going to build a taller version of this building. Nothing too fancy. But I really like these buildings a lot.

Here's the original Catalog showing this building from 1969. These are a really old kit and were discontinued in the 1970's. It took me a long time to locate 5 of these building kits unbuilt. All of them I bought off ebay.

I bought this catalog as well as all the old Kibri, Vollmer, Faller magazines from the 80's and 70's as well some old catalogs of companies I had never heard of before. Cool stuff. I'm always looking for old apartment / office building looking kits. I try to only buy unbuilt kits though. I'm tired of ripping apart old beat up built models. Though I got pretty good at it. :D

4386137319_d6b6b177d7.jpg

:grin

@ Scraper:

Nice ones...

Those modern buildings are getting quite rare and hard to find.

The problem is , that modelling is quite on the downfall and in adition to that.

Most New releases are "romantic" Fachwerk - Timber Framed buildings , with mostly 19th century

origins.

Well the newest trend seems to be northern structures - brick waled buildings...

Yuck -> 95% unusable for "us"

and another thing, your Church looks fine, only 2 small things , the Copper collor posticus (that stuff above the main entrance , thats stand stone in the original , as well as the frames on the windows ...

but looks fine taht building...

Hezekial - Thanks for the link it really shows what you can do to the kits to make them look more Japanese in style.

Scraper - If I didn't look at the base on the 1st photo of the Cathedral I would have thought it was the real thing (Ultimate compliment!)

How tall is the kitbash of the Baden station and how many kits did you use?

Both posts are outstanding, to say the lest!

Hezekial - Thanks for the link it really shows what you can do to the kits to make them look more Japanese in style.

Scraper - If I didn't look at the base on the 1st photo of the Cathedral I would have thought it was the real thing (Ultimate compliment!)

How tall is the kitbash of the Baden station and how many kits did you use?

Both posts are outstanding, to say the lest!

Thanks for the compliment my friend. The Baden station I bought like that off Ebay. I never made this one. I think the guy said he used 2 kits or something like that. He was going to mail me the extra parts in the kits but I never got them just the building. That said I love it and I got it for a great deal. Only 45 dollars. :D

:grin

@ Scraper:

Nice ones...

Those modern buildings are getting quite rare and hard to find.

The problem is , that modelling is quite on the downfall and in adition to that.

Most New releases are "romantic" Fachwerk - Timber Framed buildings , with mostly 19th century

origins.

Well the newest trend seems to be northern structures - brick waled buildings...

Yuck -> 95% unusable for "us"

and another thing, your Church looks fine, only 2 small things , the Copper collor posticus (that stuff above the main entrance , thats stand stone in the original , as well as the frames on the windows ...

but looks fine taht building...

I took a chance on changing to copper or gold colour. I did this as I tried to copy a Cathedral that's here in Victoria, British Columbia where a lot of the extra trim and windows are gold or copper.

I took this photo of the top of the Cathedral about 2 years ago...

1462262854_9d721aaed1_z.jpg

Anyways... I changed some of the trim a year ago, where I got rid of some of the gold colour. That said I think I'll leave it for now I don't want to ruin the church. I got literally hours and hours into that model....probably a good 50 hours of work. Grrrr...so much time hey. :D

Thanks for your pointers.. :D

here is an odd one. assume the one on the right is a kitbash of a vollmer or maybe a faller kits?

cheers

jeff

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300490176317&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123#ht_3609wt_878

Jeff, This is an old Busch Kit. I've got a couple of them. They were made in the 60's. I order old catalogs off ebay and scan them.

Here's some pics of one of my Busch N scale apartment buildings.

I bought this model like this off ebay Italy. I still need to weather and detail it.

4462778029_9bd0919604.jpg

that said here's some scans from the Busch 1970 catalog.

4544211433_a702e2a4a7_z.jpg

4544206833_8886b37f47_z.jpg

and here's one of my unbuilt busch kits.

4463555012_525759f362.jpg

There was a whole pile of these up for sale last week on ebay unbuilt. they are quite hard to find.

There's a few more pics of these and other kits etc I've organized on my flick set. I've ordered all my set photos in alphabetical order according to manufacturers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55063726@N00/collections/72157612768739708/

The Busch set is near the top... as it starts with B. :D

Cheers, Bob

Scraper,

thanks mucho! seen some of these busch on ebay and at our local train show, but usually out there prices. shame they are not still made as they are great starting points for high rises! looks very similar to the greenmax building system.

cheers

jeff

Bob,

Will do. Busch is not making the city buildings anymore are they? all they seem to have now is scenery and detail stuff and a few buildings.

cheers

jeff

No these old kits are from the 70's and early 60's.

One caution on them. They are a tad undersized. But for buildings in the background they are awesome. Even still they aren't horribly offsized either. Nothing like you'd see in a real city. One building from the next can vary as much as several feet per floor difference.