Shinkansen Minimum Radius

David

I'm probably retreading something that's already known, but I'm interesting in adding a shinkansen to my collection and I don't know if will handle my curves.

My temporary layout is double track (plate) with Kato 315/282mm curves. This doesn't pose a problem for my urban trains, which can take 249mm if they have to but I'd like to add the 800 Series "Tsubame" (Kato 10-491). Sharp Models claims it requires a 315mm radius (and a few other sources also make 315mm claims for various shinkansen). Searching the forums I've turned up a general feeling of "315mm Unitrack or 280mm Finetrack" and some examples of other shinkansen running at lower radi.

Is the minimum radius a hard limit, or is there some play? The Tsubame uses one of Kato's diaphragm couplers. I can arrange my layout so that the outer track is almost entirely 315mm, with the exception of 2 inner 45 degree turns (with 248mm straights on both ends) at the lower 282mm radius - do you think that would be enough to prevent derailment?

Any other information or reasons for limiting shinkansen turning radius would be appreciated, since this will end up being a search result for others with similar questions.

im almost positive we have run the 800 on the inside 282mm radius of the kato double viaduct track on the jrm layout fine.

the only cranky shinkansens i have found on the double viaduct is E1 and E4 tomix on the 282 (this is probably due to a couple of the cars rotating diaphragms being a bit sticky and causing derailments on the tighter radius. the n700 kato hates the jrm double viaduct and will not make it more than a few laps before derailing. the tomix n700 runs like a champ on the inside or outside tracks.

S curves are the big nasties on the shinkansens. a curve leading right into a point can also be a small place for point picks. on the new jrm layout we are adding 124mm straings leading into the points from the curve.

cheers

jeff

Guest Closed Account 1

Shinkansens do not like the 9.75 inch curve tracks.  I was running the 800 Tsubame on the DC mountain line of the Ntraks and every now and then it derailed a wheel or 2.

Martijn Meerts

The Kato 800 will go through 280mm without problems.

Generally, all shinkansen manuals say the minimum is around 315, but some can handle tighter curves, while others can't. I've run Kato's 800 series on curves with 240-ish mm radius as well, but that starts to get pretty tight ;)

Samurai_Chris

I have run my 3 piece starter set Tomix 800 on both Finetrack and viaduct at 280, and although it made it no problem, I think a bigger radius will help you out.. But for some reason, my Tomix 500 series, no matter what track I use, it seems to hate tight turns and loses power for some reason every now and then, if I run it at low speeds.. I gave that set to my father for Xmas, and havn't been able to give it a run on a wider radious. But I think that wider would be better at slower speeds.. Havn't tried my new Kato 800 on anything yet.. May tonight after work..

Once back in Aus, I plan to replace all my 280-315 viaduct for my Shinkansen line with a wider guage... Plus here in Japan, my original track design was limited for space. But once back in Aus, I will be able to mental with my design..

The Kato 800 will go through 280mm without problems.

Generally, all shinkansen manuals say the minimum is around 315, but some can handle tighter curves, while others can't. I've run Kato's 800 series on curves with 240-ish mm radius as well, but that starts to get pretty tight ;)

For Tomix trains, there are footnotes at the bottom of the 2010 Tomix catalog pages which I believe indicate the minimum radius:

280mm radius: Series 0, 100, 300, 500, 700, 800, N700, E1, E2, E4

Not indicated (that I can see): 400, E3

That said, bigger is better. And as Jeff pointed out, S-curves without a transition straight in the middle can cause problems.

Rich K.