N700A unveiled today (AM Aug. 21)

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

At JR Central Hamamatsu Depot.  No external diffrences from the N700, except for a big "A" on the lead cars.  Internally, 10% reduction in emergency braking distance, and automatic operation capability, in cases of delays/disruptions to the working timetable (operation will be driver controlled in normal use, as per current practice).

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/science/news/120821/scn12082110530000-n1.htm

• Like 3
Guest Closed Account 1

"A" for Advanced.  Oooh.

Nice to know that they are improving existing trains with better technology rather than abandoning current designs for concept designs.

It would seem to me that when there are delays and disruptions is the time you would want the driver to take over. Being a Shinkansen driver will be an easy job if all you have to do is cruise along and when the you know what hits the fan you just put your feet up and let the train do the work, I wish things worked that way.

bikkuri bahn

Shinkansen train driving is already quite automated, the driver pretty much controls only the throttle, as the ATC handles the braking automatically down to the final approach to stations (I'm not sure about the exact km/h at this moment), when the driver takes over braking to full stop- that's why the throttle is on the right side on shinkansen trains, rather than the left as on many conventional trains (where the brake handle is on the more critical right side).

Wow!

Thanks for the video! It's great news indeed!

So next question, will a n-scale model come out for this? Although physcially there is not much difference, perhaps just an additional add-on decal for the huge 'A'...

i think its a slightly different shade of white or is that because it`s brand new :laugh: :laugh:

is this being used in both the 16 car and 8 car sets? or too early to tell.

10% off the emergency brake distance is pretty impressive by any standard! Too bad they didn't do much about the external design though.

Do we have to wear a helmet?    :grin

I just thought I'd ask because we're going to be there in a month or so and we will need to pack a couple .... or can I just buy one at the station?

Do they have girl helmets?  Mrs_Ghan doesn't want to get her hair messed up !!!  :cool:

She also wants to know where she can buy a "Takeo Baba" doll ... Odaiba perhaps?  :grin  :grin  :grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

I found him mesmerizing!

Jeff

LOL ... Mrs_Ghan wants a toy one ... pull the cord in his back ... and he speak into the mic.

Cheers

The_Ghan