dcc tomix e231 running noises

pepegalego

Hi,

I have a  Tomix E231 Ref 8304 which I successfully converted to DCC using a Bachamann Decoder a while ago. It has been sitting on my shelf for a time but now I have a new working layout to run it on. It now makes an awful racket on the track and does need quite a bit of power to start it up.

Is it lubricant, the decoder or just a dodgy loco?

Any suggestions or similar tales to tell?

cheers

If it's been sitting for a while it probably has a lot of dust inside. I would first take it a part and lubricate the gears plus the motor. Also clean the wheels it sounds like if might be a contact problem where the trucks aren't getting enough power from the rails. I would do these simple steps first and see how it runs before going to the decoder. Plus routine cleaning of trains can't hurt. Gook luck.

CaptOblivious

If it ran fine right after you installed the decoder, then I wouldn't worry about the decoder. I'd be inclined to agree with Bernard that it might simply be a dust issue. I would guess that something in the drivetrain is binding.

CaptOblivious

It make me think that its a zero stretching issue..........also it depends on the definition of "racket"...just a guess. 

Inobu

He said he had a Bachman decoder in it, though, which means he shouldn't be hearing zero-stretching noise.

It make me think that its a zero stretching issue..........also it depends on the definition of "racket"...just a guess. 

Inobu

He said he had a Bachman decoder in it, though, which means he shouldn't be hearing zero-stretching noise.

I know but here's the logic I used .......don't lol (LOL)......based on the info provided. 

I assumed the term "awful racket" was an erratic or loud noise opposed to a dragging, clicking or humming noise.

Hair wrapped around the axle bind and dirt seizes the gears which isnt a "awful racket" Im guessing.

Base on the input that the train moves , requires a lot of power and makes an awful racket equates to the most common complaint of a DC unit on a DCC track with zero streching.

That all I could come up with....behind the keyboard.

Inobu

Don, the scary thing is ....I came up with that after reading "start it up."

By awful racket, I mean it screeches rather loudly as if the cogs in the bogies were slipping. I haven't been able to see any dust that would cause this.

Thanks for the replies though.

pepe,

gunk gets into the gears and can cause nasty noises, this is usually a combo of dust, grit, grease, and oil. also at times the motor bearings can dry out and really squeal. i can get this on kato, tomix, and ma trains at times. almost always goes away with a tear down, clean out and relubing. if things look especially mucky ill drop the gears and trucks into some isopropanol and drop it into the ultrasonic bath for 10 min. rinse it out well with fresh isopropanol and let it dry out. then relube and reassemble.

good luck,

jeff

Thanks for all the great help you are offering.

I finally got round to stripping down, cleaning and relubing but I notice that the motor doesn't run smoothly but stutters (Yes, I am using non-modelling spiel again). It still shrieks as it goes round but the wheel cleaning made contqct better.

Is the motor to blame? or the gears, but I have found no fault in them and they are clean as a whistle. I have tinkered witht e decoder and has noticed no imporovements as regards tot he sound so it isn't a decoder problem.

In another post I noticed that Tomix do a full replacement part service but I have no idea where the original brochure is.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as I might chance buy a new set of gears and worms just in case?

Thanks again for all your help.

Guest Closed Account 1

if things look especially mucky ill drop the gears and trucks into some isopropanol and drop it into the ultrasonic bath for 10 min. rinse it out well with fresh isopropanol and let it dry out. then relube and reassemble.

Jeff:

Are you using a cheap ultra sonic unit or a nice one (for guns)?

I get a lot of neglected locos at tbe museum and it would be nice to restore them without replacing parts.

nope it a cheap harbor freight one. does fine for the little stuff like this. ive used nice jewelry/small machine part ones in the past and these little guys seem to do a just fine job on rr parts. no need to pay huge bucks on them. you can get them under $20 for the little ones and larger ones for $30-50. for n scale the little one has been fine as im usually only doing trucks, gears and once and rarely a motor.

one i have, got it on sale for like $19, its gone up in price to $39 now!

http://www.harborfreight.com/ultrasonic-cleaner-3305.html

even on the small cleaners, the bath is pretty big to always be filling with cleaner solutions so i just float those little condiment containers in the bath and fill the condiment container with the solution i want to use.

usually use joy and water as a degreaser, sometimes ill use window washing fluid or brake cleaner depending on what it is and if the plastic is safe with it. then usually a wash with water and then 70% isopropanol at the end. pretty fast usually do 2 minute cycles (the cleaner has a 2 min button on it). just have a shelf of bottles with all the solutions in the laundry room and pour out dabs as needed.

you can get fancier cleaners and baths, but for n scale engine work i think its overkill unless you have the $$$ to buy the top of all your tools.

the little bath also is good for paint stripping on plastic shells where its hard sometimes to get the paint out of little grooves and such. ultrasonic cleaner pops it right out of there! i stripped some kato containers in isopropanol to make mr kato some JRM containers (wasnt about to hand him tomix containers!). when i started the paint came off easily except for all the little grooved areas so into the bath and they all just popped out!

jeff