JR Shikoku Yosan Line - Iyo-Saijo to Takamatsu

miyakoji

Since the youtube contributor ISO8 is now a member of JNS Forum too, I thought I'd post one of his videos.  It's a great video, both in quality and subject.  Zenmen tenbou videos of the Yosan Line (well, all JR Shikoku lines, really) are quite rare, and here we have an excellent record, filmed from the front of a KIHA185 on a special service, the Memorial Shiokaze.

These days, the Shiokaze links Okayama and Matsuyama, although there is one roundtrip per day going all the way to Uwajima.  Typically you'll see JR Shikoku 8000 series EMUs, although the service to Uwajima does enter non-electrified territory, so they use some DMU, not sure which.  Prior to the opening of the Seto Ohashi, the Shiokaze linked Takamatsu to Uwajima.  This is now known as the Ishizuchi.  Although, westbound the Shiokaze and Ishizuchi are joined at Utazu and driven to Matsuyama, and vice-versa for eastbound services.

1 hour 16 minutes and 50 seconds!  Thanks for the videos ISO8!

• Like 2

One word... WOW!

The scenes this video crosses through is fantastic. Makes me want to do a series of one track modules with these various scenes! So much great trackside detail there. Love th set of iOS containers in someone's yard right next to the tracks. Rice paddies with 6 story buildings across the tracks. Even a mow track. Wonderful.

Would be great to have this on a bookshelf all around the room ans use a ru21 controller to do a point to point with a few station stops.

Thanks ISO8.

Jeff

ISO8,

yes this sort of stuff is what i look at all the time for ideas for modeling! this one was just a great trip as it was clear and had a good wide angle to get that width of field that you would get on your scene strip on a layout around a track. also the trip even though over an hour was such a great string of pearls, few minutes of fields or wild then a small town and again.

when a friend was living in japan for a few years i would ask him to take really boring pictures like the road markings, gutters, trash bins and the every day details that you dont see in most folks pictures as its the stuff that is everywhere but everyone cuts out of their pictures, but is so useful in doing a real looking scene! this video had just the right balance of a nice train ride along with all those great real details and some fun things like the containers in the guy's yard!

actually taking a tip from bill on the list and playing these longer clips on my second monitor full screen while working to have a nice slice of japan to look at now and then. wakamatsu gets boring after a while.

thanks again, your videos are appreciated!

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Video's like those are great to get a good view of trackside details outside of cities etc. Usually hard to find pictures of tracks out in the middle of nowhere :)

and the transitions too. they can be more abrupt and very jumbled in japan (one of the nice things that gives you a lot of latitude in your scene design), but when doing the usual scene compression on a layout its even more important to get the flavor just right to make things feel like its really japan. this video was fantastic as it had so many transitions in it, perfect for a long thin bookshelf layout! its really got me thinking!

jeff

Fantastic video. Most relaxing time I had all week.  Great transitions from rural to urban to seaside.  I really liked how there were cemetaries right next to, and even one split by, the track. Many great ideas for a point to point layout.  Thanks for posting.

sheepishly must admit ive watched it 3 times now (well sometimes doing something else part of the time)... i want to spend an evening and go through this video and create a timecode list of the interesting bits to model and do some screen grabs. would be grand to have a google type camera to grab some picts out the side a few times a second!

do take a look at some of ISO8s other videos, theres more of the Yosan line there as well.

cheers

jeff

Hi all,

Surely The observation of real scenary are so important for modeling layout.

Well, all your post remind me why I began to shoot trains by video cam.

Because, the investigation of train's detail for my modeling works!

I will go back to the beginner's enthusiasm

kindly regards,

ISO8

ISO8,

yes the modeling opportunities are great, but also you have a good eye for making pleasing videos of train rides like these! they make a great window to japan on my second computer monitor while i work to glance over from time to time. its also nice many of them are longer to just let play instead of chopped up summary trips of only the best little bits.

they are much appreciated in many ways!

cheers

jeff

iSO8,

have to tell you that ive shown this video to many different train folks and they have all loved it. a few have watched it several times (like myself). its really got me thinking of a new layout!

thanks again!

jeff

Hi all, Jeff san !

I have to say again: thank you very much!

That footage shows one of suburban scenery on shikoku islands,

I indroduce urban line, Odakyu .

you'll find quadruple line and modern architectures.

kindky regards,

ISO8