Other hobbies...

Darren Jeffries

I thought I would share another hobby I have. I build model aircraft. Mostly military jet aircraft and some prop transports (c130 c160 etc...) and modern helicopters. One thing i do like is Russian and former soviet aircraft. In a complete detraction from my usual scope of interest, this is my current project. This is a real beast! it is nearly 2.5 feet long. I gave it it's first coat of paint today. It is a legend of the skies and sorely missed, which is why i chose to build it.

If you are interested i will post photos of the rest of my (built) collection.

DSC00102.jpg

CaptOblivious

I thought I would share another hobby I have. I build model aircraft. Mostly military jet aircraft and some prop transports (c130 c160 etc...) and modern helicopters. One thing i do like is Russian and former soviet aircraft. In a complete detraction from my usual scope of interest, this is my current project. This is a real beast! it is nearly 2.5 feet long. I gave it it's first coat of paint today. It is a legend of the skies and sorely missed, which is why i chose to build it.

If you are interested i will post photos of the rest of my (built) collection.

I firmly believe that the SU-27 has to be the most graceful aircraft design, ever. I tried my hand at model aircraft as a kid, but it didn't really stick.

Darren Jeffries

Certainly is... not too dissimilar to the mig-29. beautiful aircraft. btw, forgot to mention, my aircraft are all modelled in 1:72 which in railway language is approx HO/OO :P

I've always wanted to get in to airliner photography as it was a perfect fit to of with railroad photography, but in a post 9/11 era, there's too much fear living here in DC of a DHS smack down for whipping out a camera.

I used to build so many model aircraft as a kid, i had them all hanging from my ceiling from string, etc.

i had a pretty big fleet, fa-18, f-14, f-15, two a-10s in formation, 2 f-4s in formation, a few other randoms like world war II era stuff.  unfortunately most of them were destroyed or tossed away by my mom.

i have also built a few model cars, i started a nissan silvia s-15 that i am 90% done with and i have a s-2000 that will probably never be finished because i &$*% up on the paint.

i also built quite a few of the model soldier kits, mostly vietnam era, i had it down pretty good, especially the camoflauge painting.  i always wanted to build a mini battlefield, kinda like this.

NOT MINE

solder18.JPG

CaptOblivious

My gateway drug into model railroading was wargaming. Lots of overlap between the two hobbies. I played Warhammer 40,000 and WarMachine, but I don't have any photos of my paint-work online.

Also, I have a small collection of old cameras (Pentax MX, Pentax ME Super, an original Russian Lomo L-CA, Zeiss Contax IIa—easily one of the greatest 35mm cameras ever made) and darkroom equipment that I like to occasionally excercise.

2067750540_6a0460a684.jpg?v=0

Darren Jeffries

I'm into 1/35 military armour.

I particularly like Soviet, Russian, Chinese and Israeli.

Man after my own heart.... I love these too, but not armour, Jets!!!!! I absolutely have to have the tupolev tu-160 (white swan), but it is only available from trumpeter and currently costs upwards of £65 ($100 in todays economy).

My gateway drug into model railroading was wargaming. Lots of overlap between the two hobbies. I played Warhammer 40,000 and WarMachine, but I don't have any photos of my paint-work online.

Also, I have a small collection of old cameras (Pentax MX, Pentax ME Super, an original Russian Lomo L-CA, Zeiss Contax IIa—easily one of the greatest 35mm cameras ever made) and darkroom equipment that I like to occasionally excercise.

2067750540_6a0460a684.jpg?v=0

It's interesting that ya mention this. My childhood best friend is a war gamer and a Gundam nut, but I can't get him to cross over to the model railroading.

Darren Jeffries

It is nice to see so many of you posting about other hobbies. It seems most of us share common interests away from Railway.

I finished concorde today. Picture below. While posting i thought i would post pictures of the other (finished) aircraft. I have about 100 more to build in my stash (which will take me about 20 years!!!! )

British_Airways_2003_Concorde.JPG

BAe_Hawk_Red_Arrows.JPG

CAF_F-18.JPG

Chinook.JPG

E-2C_Hawkeye.JPG

F-2000_Eurofighter.JPG

German_AF_Mig-29.JPG

RAF_Tornado_GR1.JPG

^^^ COOOLL MODELS.

Yea i know what you mean about a "stash".  My Dad's flying buddy literally has a garage full of unfinished airplane models, probably 500 easy. 

Looking at all your planes really makes me start another kit.

Those model kits look great. I just finished a Italieria F117 Stealth in 1:72. No pics sorry. That prompted to collect a few 1:72 diecast models - mostly Century Wings F-14's and an A-6 Intruder. I also picked up some Dragon Wings F-15's and F-18's. Plus a mysterious brand SU-27 .

Along that have a pretty comprehensive collection of commercial aircraft. Mostly 1:400 scale but a few 1:200's and a pair of 1:50 scale ( these are the massive travel agent models )

Plus a collection of Nissan Skylines in 1:18 scales etc.....

Plus HO trains

Plus

you get the idea.

Claude_Dreyfus

Other interests below...

For the Guinea Pigs, Dhal is the brown one and Dhansak is the black with ginger saddleback. The are both just over two years old...

For the Tortoises; Wakami can be clearly seen, with Wasabi's shell visible in the bath in the background... These two are Marginated tortoises, originating from Greece. They are very recent additions, we have only had them a month, however both are well in excess of 40 years old.

post-141-13569922775547_thumb.jpeg

post-141-13569922776017_thumb.jpeg

Claude - My wife is a 3rd grade teacher and the favorite pet of the class is the guinea pig Dory. They are wonderful pets.

Claude_Dreyfus

Claude - My wife is a 3rd grade teacher and the favorite pet of the class is the guinea pig Dory. They are wonderful pets.

They are...especially these two. They are brothers, and we have know them since they were a couple of hours old...they were born next door. They both have a lot of character...

Well... hmm... I have other hobbies but this is a family forum so... ;D :D ;)

Seriously, I enjoy traveling to distance places and countries.  I am an urban transit explorer rather than going to the country side.

CaptOblivious

Where was taken this photo, I kind of think Asakusa Temple but I might be wrong.

You think rightly. It was taken in Nakamise Arcade, just north of Kaminarimon and south of Sensoji in Asakusa.