Kofu Station - passenger services since 1980

The_Ghan

Hi Folks,

I was just wondering if anyone can give me a list of EMUs that have run scheduled services through Kofu, Yamanashi-ken, since 1980.  So far I have the following:

Edit: Uncertain items shown in red.

Edit: Adding links to matching product

Type                  Details

----------------------------------------------------------

115-0                Yokosuka colour - 8 car, no a/c - can't find a model

115-300             Minobu red with white stripe - 3 and 4 car (I've only seen 3-car)

115-1000           "Shinsyu Colour - white with broad green and narrow red stripe 6 car

115-1000           "New Nagano" - sky blue and white with aqua stripe 3 and 6 car

165                    Shonan colour, Fujikawa Express service - 4 car

165                    Shonan, express service - 8 car, no a/c

165                    Fujikyuko Series 2000 `Fujisan-Limited Express`, 3 car

169                    "New Nagano" - sky blue and white with aqua stripe 3 and 6 car

183                    Chuo Liner cream and red - 9 car

183-100           Azusa cream and red - 9 car

183-0/1500      Azusa revised colour sky blue and white  - 11 car

183                    Azusa grade up colour green and red stripe - 9 car

189                    Azusa revised colour sky blue and white  - 11 car

215                    Holiday Rapid View Yamanashi - 10 car

313                    Orange with White stripe on Minobu line replacing 115 - 3 and 6 car

373                    Fujikawa, replacing 165 Shonan - 3 car

E233                  Chuo Line - 10 car

E257                  Kaiji (sometimes as Chuo Liner) 11 car

E351                  Super Azusa 12 car

D51-498             D51 Steam Loco used for occasional celebrations in Kofu

Has the E253 which terminates at Takao ever extended to Kofu? Confirmed as a No.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.  Have I left anything out?

15 Febryary 2012 - added 115-1000 Shinsyu colour

04 August 2012 - added 165 Fujisan, D51, 169

Cheers

The_Ghan

Has the E253 which terminates at Takao ever extended to Kofu?

If you mean the Narita Express service, no.  Service to Kofu is intercity level, which Narita Express is not.  253 series units have passed through Kofu though(pantas down behind a loco), either to be scrapped or refurbished at the Nagano depot. I'm not sure the "E" prefix is correct either, I see some youtube videos with that label, but not sure that if it's official JR East protocol to extend it to refurbished rather than new units.

115            Yokosuka colour - 11 or 12 car?

Where did you get those numbers?  I've seen consists of 8 cars max on 115 series services serving Kofu (on the express "Kaiji"), but 11 or 12 car trains- that's getting into high density Kanto area suburban train lengths. I may be wrong, but I don't think passenger traffic levels ever warranted those lengths in Kofu.

http://www.1999.co.jp/image/10048895k/50/1

http://kokuden.net/mc53/sub100/sub100-4/sub100-4.htm

Keitaro: I don't think the 113 series was running in Yamanashi-ken.  I could be wrong, but I thought it was only the 115 because it better handled the grades and cold weather.

Bikkuri: I used to travel from Sakaori to Ryuo everyday.  I might be wrong about the length of the 115 series, but I thought they were longer than the 8-car sets of "red rattlers" that were in Sydney at the time ... in fact, I have a note to that effect in a letter I sent home, but I neglected to state exactly how long the consists were ... things are getting foggy in that part of my brain ... I would have caught a train around 7:25 from Ryuo to Sakaori. You are sure it couldn't have been 11 cars?

Also, what is the Minobu line running now, is it 3-car versions of the 373?

Please see the edit of my original post where I highlight the items I remain uncertain about in red.

Cheers

The_Ghan

You're right about the 115 series- they were built for the grades (regenerative braking) and were winterized. 

As for train length, I need more time to dig around, but one possibility was JNR in Kofu may have added cars only for the morning rush, which may have extended consists to 10 or 11 cars.  Typically back then, beyond the urban areas, fewer but longer trains was the operational philosophy, unlike the shorter trains but more frequent service of today (due to competition from single occupancy cars).

Minobu Line out of Kofu is 313 series for locals, 373 series for the Fujikawa ltd. express (7 r.t./day).

I'l look into the other stuff when I have time, I'm at work now.

bikkuri,

Thanks mate, I'm at work too .... luckily I'm the boss ... and its time to go to the gym.  I'll check back in a few hours.

Cheers

The_Ghan

115  Sinshu or is it called "New Nagano" - sky blue and white with aqua stripe - 3 car?

It's called the "2nd generation Nagano" color scheme ("Shinshu color" is also noted, but nobody seems to call it that).  Looking at pics, I see both 3 car and 6 car formations.

313    Orange with White stripe .... on Minobu line, I think, replacing 115 - 3 car?

Yes, they replaced the 115 series 3 car units on the Minobu Line.  Pity, the Minobu Line red is a nice livery (I'm partial to red trains):

http://sky.ap.teacup.com/kurog/img/1252895455.jpg  

*One reason I never can really like JR Tokai is their ruthless march to standardization by retiring JNR types, replaced with lookalike Nippon Sharyo stuff.

165    Shonan, express service - 8, 9, 11 or 12 car?

"Shonan" color.  165 series used on "Alps" and "Kawaguchi"/"Kaiji" express services. "Alps" had an 8 car consist, extended to 12 cars when traffic warranted, likewise "Kawaguchi"/"Kaiji" had an 8 car consist, extended as needed with an additional 3 cars. All trains had a buffet car (this is 1975 info).

115  Yokosuka colour - 8, 9, 11 or 12 car?

After looking around the web, I have come to the conclusion that the standard train length of 115 series units in the early eighties was eight cars, typically 2 four car units coupled together (driving trailer, motor, motor, driving trailer x2), now these may have reinforced with additional cars, but without photo proof I don't know.  Unfortunately not many took pics of these consists, as they were so common then (as they are still now, knock on wood).

115 unit arriving Kofu Sta. in 1981 w/ what appears to be an eight car consist:

http://img.blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ybi/1/04/9b/garatahmet/folder/642656/img_642656_29281401_1?1242742376

115 at Kokubunji (1977), on the Tokyo portion of the Chuo Line, appears to be eight cars.  According to the blog where this picture was located, these airconditioned units (300 subclass) were allocated on the long distance Shinjuku-Matsumoto runs, while the "big eyed" large headlight 115's (0 subclass, non-aircon) were used on the Takao-Kofu runs.

http://blog-imgs-43.fc2.com/j/n/r/jnrec/100404.jpg

i asked on a mixi group not sure if i will get a response most seem only interested in posting pictures of their models than actually discussing particular lines and or prototypes.

i asked on a mixi group not sure if i will get a response most seem only interested in posting pictures of their models than actually discussing particular lines and or prototypes.

Another option would be to post the question on yahoo chiebukuro (yahoo questions), I have gotten some good info on obscure topics there in the past (no as an answer to my own question, but via keyword searches).

Another option would be to post the question on yahoo chiebukuro (yahoo questions), I have gotten some good info on obscure topics there in the past (no as an answer to my own question, but via keyword searches).

did not get a response as yet. assuming not going to.

Ghan has the japanese version he can try post on jp yahoo heh.

I posted asking if the massive shinkansen layout has a website they never replied me. seems they dont like foreigners haha.

They did however post a video following my question.

Thanks folks,

I've done some more updating to the original message based on your comments and further research. 

Just trying through Japanese sources now.

Any further input greatly appreciated.

Cheers

The_Ghan