I'm the sneaky bastard ...

The_Ghan

I'm the sneaky bastard who snapped up the following on eBay overnight:

1. 683 "Thunderbird" - 3 Cars Add-On Set - Kato 10-483: eBay: US$30.99, HS: US$88.63

2. Kato N Electric Loco EF58 (40th Anniversary) Special - Kato 10-260: eBay US$145.50, HS: US$299.11

Now for the tricky part .... sneaking the items past my unsuspecting wife and onto the shelf!

I know its bad form to brag, but I am proud of myself.  I've been sitting on the Thunderbird 10-482 for a couple of years and am very relieved to finally get the add-on set.  The reason is this:  I bought the 10-556 add-on set only to discover that the seating and signage beside the passenger doors are a different colour.  So, I bought 10-555 to make a full 9 car set with matching seating and signage.  So my 10-482 was put out to pasture, so to speak.  A bit embarassing really. HS had previously told me that the only difference was the upgrading of the motor.

I stumbled onto the EF58 set quite by accident.  It just happens to be from the same vendor.  I was prepared to pay up to 60% (US$160) of what I could get it for on RainbowTen (US$266 - but it isn't in stock anyway ... I asked!).

Sorry to brag ... just been a good day.

Cheers

The_Ghan

• Like 2

congrats ghan,

lurking ebay and being patient will bring good things! have to learn with ebay to be patient grasshopper. a good chunk of my collection is probably 50-60% of list stuff.

enjoy and good luck with the sneak...

cheers

jeff

Hi Ghan!

you are lucky because I already have both sets, otherwise.... :grin

I won the 10-454 add-on set (again from the same seller, the second set in 2 weeks for kitbashing)

I just received the first box, the train is new but the sleeve paper is not in so good conditions (but for 76 and 79 USD it's OK, when I want all really new I buy all from R10)

stay tuned because this seller put in auction japanese trains again.. good luck!

Ciao

Massimo

Hey Massimo,

I saw the 10-454 ... you got a good price too!  I'd just bought a full Kato 0 Series from HS that I had reserved a couple of months back.  HS is a bit expensive now so I'm buying my stuff from RainbowTen or Banzai Hobby.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Great price and pick up on the Thunderbird Add-On set. It really completes the look of the train with the 2 end cars attached together.

Take it from Jeff....he is an expert on finding great deals and I still don't know how he does it!

Spaceman Spiff

Now for the tricky part .... sneaking the items past my unsuspecting wife and onto the shelf!

Good to see I'm not the only one with this problem. Lol

Spiff

how many have heard the exclamation around the house (not by you) "another package from japan?!"

cheers

jeff

Spaceman Spiff

how many have heard the exclamation around the house (not by you) "another package from japan?!"

cheers

jeff

That would apply to me!  Lol

Spiff

cheers

jeff

That's my ring tone for when my wife calls me.  :grin

bernard,

thanks for the chuckle!

jeff

cheers

jeff

That's my ring tone for when my wife calls me.  :grin

Martijn Meerts

The postman delivered a package to me not long ago, and was wondering why it wasn't from Japan, and why there weren't any train related items in it ...

• Like 1

I had that the other weekend, and because it was heavy ( replacement car battery jump starter.) he didn't understand.

Now Ghan, just what does your wife sneak into the house?    :laugh:

Actually, I get my post delivered to work and sneak it home in my bag.  :glasses2:

My wife .... she's as bad as I am!  It's cookbooks, anything to do with baking or making desserts, and one or two other things.  I must confess that Mrs Ghan is a fine cook.

Cheers

The_Ghan

then you reap some great benefits that she doesnt from your trains! unless its getting you out of her hair for her cooking time!

cheers

jeff

Now Ghan, just what does your wife sneak into the house?    :laugh:

Actually, I get my post delivered to work and sneak it home in my bag.   :glasses2:

My wife .... she's as bad as I am!  It's cookbooks, anything to do with baking or making desserts, and one or two other things.  I must confess that Mrs Ghan is a fine cook.

Cheers

The_Ghan

and you're a fine modeller HAH

great bargain though congrats.

LOL as modelers, we'll do *anything* to justify our purchases. So let's compare the price of a cookbook to that of a train set, shall we...?  :laugh:

Oh Clem,

You're forcing my hand!

The one or two other things that I was referring too are: shoes, handbags (and I mean: LV, Gucci, and Chanel), and lingerie........ $$$ ka-ching, ka-ching, ka-ching!

Cheers

The_Ghan

Oh Clem,

You're forcing my hand!

The one or two other things that I was referring too are: shoes, handbags (and I mean: LV, Gucci, and Chanel), and lingerie........ $$$ ka-ching, ka-ching, ka-ching!

Cheers

The_Ghan

A buddy of mine has his GF working for LV, and he was talking about the price of one of their billfolds. I nearly choked! A whole handbag has to be more than my mortgage payment!

I like #1 and #3, but #2... LOL.

Yeah those purses are pure insanity. I always thought a Coach bag was expensive. I wasn't expecting the "real" brands to be 40x more.

I am just glad my wife is into.. well nothing!! Actually, no, not glad cause then it becomes harder to justify my purchases. I usually use my 3 year old son as an excuse.

Oh, regret!

I'm pissed off today.  I just received a Ebay message to say that the product has shipped today.  I'm fuming!!!!  That seller had sent me a tracking number on the 16th of July and I saw on the 19th that the item was delivered to Miami, FL.  I've sent a message to the seller asking why they sent me the wrong tracking number, why it took two weeks to ship a product that I paid for within 3 hours of winning the bid and what the new tracking number is.

Let me tell you, this matter will be referred to Ebay support if I don't get a satisfactory response!

Really pissed!

The_Ghan

This thread reminds me of threads I read on my woodworking forums about sneaking tools into the house. I think that trains are easier than table saws.

Let me tell you, this matter will be referred to Ebay support if I don't get a satisfactory response!

Don't count on it... eBay support is practically useless. Basically they're answers are "please resolve this one your own. thank you, good bye".

I hope everything gets resolved. Good luck!