Tohoku Shinkansen/Honsen damage

Here are some unhappy images from the National Railway Workers' Union, JR East division's page (http://www.e-nru.com/index.html):

Between Sendai and Iwakiri, caption says about 30 catenary supports are broken:

3162.th.jpg

Location not indicated.  Right image looks like new cement.  Buckled rebar can been seen in both images:

3167.th.jpg 3168.th.jpg

Shinkansen support in Kooriyama Station:

3163k.th.jpg

Derailed E2 at/near Sendai:

3166.th.jpg

Tohoku Main Line between Umegasawa and Nitta:

top.th.gif

• Like 2

3166.th.jpg

Pft, easy fix, we got more of those damn blue KATO rerailers laying around than I can count. Give me thirty seconds, and we can have that running in no time.

• Like 1

Nothing that can't and won't be fixed in pretty short order.

If I know Japan, it's going to be tough to find evidence of this quake and tsunami in six months, unless you knew what things looked like before.  (Not everything will be rebuilt, for sure, but everything will be fixed that needs to be.)

Nick_Burman

Found this info on another board.  JR East map of opened lines (hilighted).  Freight including fuel oil is being hauled roundabout from the Kanto Area (also Hokkaido) to locations in Tohoku.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/pdf/saikaijoukyou.pdf

Which must mean that some lines will possibly be seeing their first freight trains in years. Pity the circumstances, photographers and railfans would have had a meal out of it...

Cheers NB

• Like 1

3166.th.jpg

Pft, easy fix, we got more of those damn blue KATO rerailers laying around than I can count. Give me thirty seconds, and we can have that running in no time.

Those Kato couplers hold together pretty good though. :grin

I've seen diesels damaged worse than that returned to service, the power of the wave that picked them up and tossed them round is what amazes me.

Here are some unhappy images from the National Railway Workers' Union, JR East division's page (http://www.e-nru.com/index.html)

Thanks for the link and those pictures. Scary stuff--seeing concrete structures of that scale damaged like that is striking. I hope they have good procedures for checking for damage that isn't so visually obvious.

Tohoku Main Line between Umegasawa and Nitta:

I guess that answers my question about whether the Tohoku line was available as a run-around for the closed portion of the Shinkansen. :-/

Found this info on another board.  JR East map of opened lines (hilighted).  Freight including fuel oil is being hauled roundabout from the Kanto Area (also Hokkaido) to locations in Tohoku.

Thanks for the map link -- I've been hoping something like this would show up. It's great that those connections are open for supplies, but it's also striking how many lines have been stopped by this disaster.

I hope they have good procedures for checking for damage that isn't so visually obvious.

I translated a bridge maintenance manual last year. They're pretty thorough and safety-conscious.

• Like 1

Found this info on another board.  JR East map of opened lines (hilighted).

I forgot to ask--what do the red dashes mean?

I don't know if this map has been linked to yet. http://www.jreast.co.jp/pdf/restore_zairai.pdf

I hope the Iwaizumi Line gets rebuilt, it's one I haven't ridden yet.

Thanks for that link. Is there are page that posts updated versions?

For those who can't read Japanese, the blue lines are lines that have reopened, green lines have repairs in progress, dotted red lines are being inspected, and thick red lines are lines that they haven't been able to evaluate yet.