The most perfect japanese layout I've seen to date!

grumbeast

The irony of modeling is the top builders forces the viewer to search for flaws or indicators to validate that the layout is not real.  

What one should understand is that this layout is at the pentacle of perfection where the modeler must now model the natural imperfections that exists in the world. Once he does this he will reach the final level where the critiquing ends and the admiration begins.

I agree with Tony's comment and will clarify the word "clean" IMO.  This modeler is at the next level in modeling, his rendering challenges the viewer to find points that invalidates its realness. This is where weathering and natural flaws are interjected into the scenery. Everything form weathered buildings, dead vegetation,discolored greenery to dirty sidewalks and trash are expected by the viewers. The layout are now referenced as a 3D photo of the world with all its beauty and flaws.

He (the modeler) is at the final stages of his layout. Although some modelers refuse to dirty their layouts it is an inevitable step to achieve modeling perfection.

I can only dream of doing what he has done.

Inobu  

• Like 1

uh oh its into the clean vs neat debate! IMHO i think this is really a matter of personal modeling taste as to how clean (maybe not real world) to weathered and grungy layouts go. i tend to be a bit more grungie than curt, but then thats me!

i also see this as a factor of how close you look. a lot of the weathering and grunge only show up at very close range and tend to disappear at normal viewing distance in N scale.

it is a beautiful layout. wish there was a track plan somewhere!

cheers

jeff

I think your 'most perfect' claim is justified, the scenery is fantastic. As for it being too clean it's all relative, he is modelling a country area in the 1950's or 60's not a grubby, cluttered modern city, I think he's got it spot on.

Hobby Dreamer

Great Layout!!!

Two observations from someone that knows almost nothing....

1) It looked real at at times: a feat that is hard to believe when you consider the size of N scale. And it wasn't clever camera work that did this..

2) It really looked Japanese!  A lot of layouts, whether American, British, German etc only look that way because of the rolling stock or structures etc but there is something lacking. I've never been to Japan but this layout captured the essence of Japan. Maybe its the foliage but its perfect..

Thanks for sharing!!

Rick

Martijn Meerts

Definitely a good layout, not quite as big as some people believe though, just strategic camera angles ;)

I actually quite like the cleanliness of it, like others said, it seems to fit the era. The one thing I noticed instantly was the nails holding the track in place ;) After some time with Marklin, I've really started noticing, and getting annoyed by the center studs, and because of that, I also really started noticing the nails. (It's actually really annoying ;))

After some time with Marklin, I've really started noticing, and getting annoyed by the center studs, and because of that, I also really started noticing the nails. (It's actually really annoying ;))

LOL.... I haven't gotten to the point where the nails bug me (but you can assume I'm going to start looking for them now!  :grin), but I do agree with the Marklin studs!  I wonder how many of those guys don't think much about that system/track when they start out, but reach a point where they regret it?

Like others have said, a beautiful layout....I tend towards a bit more dirt and grunge myself, but admire the guys scenery abilities...really professional!

A very atmospheric layout which has perfectly captured the flavor of Japan. For those who think it´s too clean - Japan is not as grudgy and grimy as some of the western countries!

Definitely a good layout, not quite as big as some people believe though, just strategic camera angles ;)

I actually quite like the cleanliness of it, like others said, it seems to fit the era. The one thing I noticed instantly was the nails holding the track in place ;) After some time with Marklin, I've really started noticing, and getting annoyed by the center studs, and because of that, I also really started noticing the nails. (It's actually really annoying ;))

About 1:30 you notice the size of the layout when the train appears on the track at the rear while the end is still passing in the foreground. A clever use of hiding the tight curves at the end of the layout so you only see the train passing through the scene in front of you.

A nice layout indeed.  What makes it work:

1. Adherence to an era, I think late 50's to early 60's.

2. Continuity- basically  rural and town scenery, so no abrupt changes, apparent when you model an urban scene too close to a rice field and mountain

3. Weathering on track, makes the oversize rail less apparent

4. The "clean" look, as some have mentioned.  Though not everyone's taste, I find it focuses your eye more on the trains and the immediate railway, which IMO is what the primary focus should be, much like actors on a stage.  Also, the more subdued colors of buildings back then also helps, as they seem "part of", rather than "placed in" the scenery.

5. Positioning of structures where they would be in real life spatially- obviously being in Japan, this builder can simply go out and see how things are, but I think observation of the prototype is what makes models convincing.

ShinCanadaSen

Wow, quite the layout ! What I really noticed was how the backdrop really match the layout and seemed to make it feel like there was added depth.

3. Weathering on track, makes the oversize rail less apparent

The builder seems to have used Peco track...looks like code 55...

Cheers NB

I remember seeing a layout of similar caliber in a back issue of the German MIBA (Miniaturbahnen) magazine some time ago. Sorry, can't remember what issue it was. The part I liked most in the MIBA layout was the private railway platforms at the end of the station, with the former steam power put to pasture and rusting away on a back track and "basket KiHa" cars doing all the work.

Cheers NB

Personally I would love my layout dirty and my trains clean. As pointed out, dirtiness and imperfections bring realism to a heightened level but it's extremely difficult to do properly. I've only liked maybe 5% of the weathering effects that I've seen. Either you're really good at it, or you suck. I've not really seen any weathering where I go "yeah that's OK I guess". And herein lies my problem: I suck at weathering. As such, I'd rather leave my stuff clean than muck it up with bad weathering.

I remember seeing a layout of similar caliber in a back issue of the German MIBA (Miniaturbahnen) magazine some time ago. Sorry, can't remember what issue it was. The part I liked most in the MIBA layout was the private railway platforms at the end of the station, with the former steam power put to pasture and rusting away on a back track and "basket KiHa" cars doing all the work.

July 2004. Great layout, imo better than the one from the video above in terms of scenery and track plan (and much larger (3.3 x 2.3m)).

Looks just like what I hope to achieve with Niihama but the interesting thing to me is that that lack of the overhead wires immediately stands out a mile - probably because there is so much detail elsewhere. This was the main reason I have kept my layout diesel only. I have no problem with the clean look because Japan itself always looks like that to me especially away from the mega cities and out in the back country.

July 2004. Great layout, imo better than the one from the video above in terms of scenery and track plan (and much larger (3.3 x 2.3m)).

If anyone has that issue would it please be possible to scan (and post) the article?

Cheers NB

If anyone has that issue would it please be possible to scan (and post) the article?

Cheers NB

Seconded please! Otherwise I'll have to order a backup issue if they are still available.

http://www.miba.de/miba/04/07/46.htm