Otaku & Their Cafe's

Guest ___

Are you more or less likely to hang out in a Japanese train cafe if there were silly otaku present?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Are you more or less likely to hang out in a Japanese train cafe if there were silly otaku present?

• More
    • Less
    • Won't know until I get there

Man, I wish there was something like this in my neighborhood. My wife would always be wondering where I was !!!!!!

Hahaha at least she knows you are not meeting with another love interest... :grin

I think that's a place you'd go with other like-minded silly otaku. But a large crowd of them might be a bit intimidating.  And as a way to test some trains you just bought over lunch or drinks, that seems like a pretty nice place.

However, it was strangely deserted, and neither of them seemed like train otaku, despite the silly choo-choo walk on the way in (one claimed to have "one" train, the other none; how many of us have just one?).

Martijn Meerts

It's not really much different than being part of a model train club in my opinion, with the exception that this seems to be a bit more public. Although, how many non-train fans would visit a place like that anyway :)

However, it was strangely deserted, and neither of them seemed like train otaku, despite the silly choo-choo walk on the way in (one claimed to have "one" train, the other none; how many of us have just one?).

Hmm... Even if I narrow things down a lot, I still have problems with having only one. I guess if I narrow it down to non-prototypical, Japanese models, I can say I only have 1 of them (The Galaxy Express from the TV series, but then again, that one's based on a real prototype.....)

I wonder what the fees are to go there. It seems like you can buy a cup of coffee and spend hours there but they must have a rental fee for the track otherwise it might be hard to stay in business.

to be fair these guys seem like they are japan experience video otaku, not train otaku! they were just documenting it for not train folks and were not train folks themselves.

i expect this group would be considered tetsudō otakus! i mean we take it a step further, instead of just limiting it to renting a little time on a shop layout we spend all the money and devote the room and time to having it in our own homes! then we spend hours online talking about it...

did seem a little dead, wonder if it was just a bad time of day or they did it on purpose to make the videoing easier with fewer people in there.

i must say its more attractive place for me to hang out than a starblechs! could become a fun sort of clubhouse/meeting place for folks like us! sort of a physical jns! keep hoping to get my basement into shape to have it as a sort of place like this for the jrm folks to drop by to spend an hour or two running some trains, have a beer, and fix trains or fiddle with stuff in the shop.

cheers

jeff

I think this youtube video on the cafe was discussed a while back in this forum?  And someone did mention it went down not long after :sad:.  The good news is there are quite a number of them in Japan.