New Type: JR Freight HD300

So, according to wikipedia, JR Freight took delivery of the prototype HD300-901 about 6 months ago, but other than two poorly lit night videos, I have yet to see this run under its own power.  Has anyone else?  Here's the latest video of it on youtube, from October 21st, being led by an EF65.

CaptOblivious

Grr, and this videographer posted above was more interested in the EF65 than the new shiny thing it was hauling…at least the HD designation tells us it's a B-B axle layout, rather than the far more interesting AAA-B of the DE10…

rather than the far more interesting AAA-B of the DE10…

Funny you mention that, that axle configuration is one of my favorite things about the DE locos.

there's this all-black one in Hokkaido

a DE15 used on the Oku-Izumo Orochi service

And the DE50 kept at Tsuyama

Grr, and this videographer posted above was more interested in the EF65 than the new shiny thing it was hauling…at least the HD designation tells us it's a B-B axle layout, rather than the far more interesting AAA-B of the DE10…

Yeah, there is a fixation on EF65s among some fans, though I admit I like some in freight service, especially those w/o the front doors.  As for the wheel arrangement of the HD300, I guess it's that way as its intended solely for shunting, rather than working out on the line, thus no need for more axles to reduce axle loads.

And here it is sandwiched into one of these 'gasoline trains' on its way up the Chuo Line.  The HD300 itself is going to Minami-Matsumoto apparently.  Traction courtesy of EH200, as usual.

some new vids seems as though they don't quite trust the hd300 by itself haha. i guess there giving it a good run in. perhaps we'll see 2 running together one day pulling some actual freight. i like the last vid though

I like the second video.  Three tries to fire it up?  How many attempts does a DE10 require?  I'll be interested to see what the production version of this loco looks like and how it differs from this prototype.

Nah they are testing it under all conditions. They testing it in snow area lately. From what I read in summer 2011 they make decision to produce or scrap. It has a large amount of power.

As long as they satisfied with the test they doing in hokkaido it could be in full production earlier

Apparently the testing has finished in Hokkaido.

Returning to Honshu.  At Higashi Muroran Station:

Back in Kanto the next day.  Nishi Kokubunji Station (from 1:22):

• Like 1

I came across this announcement of a DE10 replacement. Look at the VERY LAST ENTRY.

http://www.sumidacrossing.org/SumidaCrossing/TokyoFreightTrains.html

HD300

The successor to the DE10 has been a long time coming. The youngest DE10 is 32 years old now, and most on the last series produced are approaching 40 years of age, when locomotives are typically retired in Japan. JR Freight has taken the lead on replacing the DE10, working with Toshiba to develop a cleaner, more efficient, lightweight diesel locomotive. The result, the HD300, is in testing during 2010, with production slated to start in 2011 if all goes well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HD300-901_Shin-Akitsu_20100330.JPG

The HD300 is what would be called a “genset” locomotive in North America; a small diesel engine charges batteries, which drive electric traction motors on the axles. Regenerative brakes also charge the batteries (which are lithium-ion technology, rather than the more common lead-acid). This approach allows a smaller engine to be used for the same tasks, and when not charging the battery the diesel engine shuts down. This reduces both noise and fuel consumption. Top speed is reportedly 110 kph, although there’s a reference on the Japanese wikipedia page to it being limited to 45 kph under some (unclear) circumstances.

JR East also has a Hybrid DMU (Japanese wikipedia) being tested as of 2010, but not around Tōkyō.

JRF HD300 Prototype #901, at Shin-Akitsu Station (2010)    

Source: Wikimedia, Photographer: D A J Fossett

Specifications:

Type: HD300

Built: 2011+ (prototype delivered 2010)

In use: 2011+

Top Speed: 110 kph

Power: 500 kW (671 hp)

Type: hybrid (diesel/battery)

Weight: 60 t

Use: Freight

Assigned: nowhere yet

we know mate.

been watching theres a few threads about it.

apparently was meant to start productino this month but since the quake it's unknown now.

Well good news is didn't get washed away in tsunami but they are still testing there's some new vids from few days back running with de10