Portram which isn't run

IST

I bought my 3rd Portram (the green one) from HS which arrived in the last week. I put it to the track, it run one round with normal speed and stopped. From that time it isn't moving: lights are OK, I hear that the engine is running, but the tram does not move or just 1-2 centimeter in both directions. My questions are:

- What can be the problem?

- How can I solve it?

- How can I dissassemble the tram?

Maybe these are very basic question but I am a really beginner in this.

CaptOblivious

Important question: Kato or Tomytec?

Sounds like a geartrain issue. A gear is most likely out of place or maybe even stripped. Does it run in reverse at all?

Someone one had mentioned that they took one apart and said that they will never do it again. He also pointed out that we was skilled in working with small mechanics. Not sure where the thread is.....  here is the post

I've had my portram apart (not by choice just despiration) and I can tell you it didn't look easy.  The board is held in by the upper plate (the one you see when looking inside or where the people go) and this would have to be removed to get a decoder in.  I think Kato will have to get together with Digitrax and come up with a direct replacement board.  Word of advice; Don't disassemble the Motor/wheel assembly.  If I remember correctly there are 13 gears and some of them are so small I had to use my stereo microscope to reassemble the right and left wheel/gear/plate assemblies.  Dont get me wrong it can be done it's just a pain, I've been a service engineer for olympus fixing microscopes for 17 years (I consider myself a marginally competent mechanic) and I'd think twice and probably cry a little before I tried it again.  The portram went back together and works thankfully.

I wonder if this is a common problem.

Inobu    

You can start eliminating possible problems without taking it apart using a 9V battery. Since the lights still work it is obviously getting power from the rails (not a pickup problem). Try taking it off the tracks and touching the battery contacts to each pair of wheels to see which ones turn (or if there are any odd noises). Apart from sharing a power source the bogies are independent of each other (seperate motors and gears inside each bogie), so it is almost certain that at least one should work fine.

If none of the wheels will turn even off the track then it's not a problem with the wheels/motors/gearboxes (unless both have been damaged in the same way), but a problem with power - the motors used are little 1.5-4.5V pager motors, so there is a circuit inside the shell of the Portram (seperate from the bogies) that limits the current sent to them so they don't get blasted with 12 volts. It's possible this has been damaged (burnt out by overvoltage, extended short circuit, etc).

I don't know if this has been posted, but it can provide some insight into the Portram mechanism.

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn221/raylue/RailModel/KATO%20PORTRAM%20TLR/

It's from an 009 board (narrow gauge using N scale track), where the bogies are being seen as a possible replacement for the old Kato pocket line power unit for making very small locomotives and critters (albet a lot more expensive, even if you can get two from one Portram) along side the newest Pro-Hobby mini chasis.

David,

That's good information.

Post this in the DCC section. It gives a clearer view for the guys that want to convert to DCC.

Inobu

Important question: Kato or Tomytec?

Kato.

Does it run in reverse at all?

Currently it just stand, it does not matter in what direction I try it to run.

David!

Thanks for the detailed information, I will try these before I start to disassemble. I have a good friend here who always repairing different railway models, I will meet him at Thursday and try to find a good solution.

Since the Porttram is still under warranty, you might want to e-mail the HS and see what they say.

Also, you might want to contact Lemke Hobbytrain and see if they can honour Kato's warranty since you are in Europe.

Since the Porttram is still under warranty, you might want to e-mail the HS and see what they say.

What warranty?  Japanese trains are only covered in Japan.

What warranty?  Japanese trains are only covered in Japan.

Most Japanese warranties are perfectly valid worldwide, but the company will only send repaired/replaced product to a Japanese address. Most importers have some spot in their supply chain in Japan, and will generally process warranty stuff for you. It may cost you extra, and you have to send it to them to send in for warranty service.

I've even sent stuff from Canada directly to the manufacturer, and had them returned to an acquaintance in Japan.,

At least, that's how it works for gray-market electronics imports. Nothing I've heard seems to indicate it'll be different for trains, especially for a DOA item.

Concept Model Trains

Recently I ordered a Modemo tram from HS.  The tram growled and didn't run very well.  I contacted HS and detailed my concern.  They offered to send me a new one which I recieved in 5 days.  I didn't need to return the bad tram and they let me keep it for spares.  It would be worth getting in contact with HS as I'm sure they will replace it IST.

I guess I was the one who said I did it and would never do it again.  I must have been drunk or something cuz it wasnt that difficult if you take your time.  So I did it again and I'm posting the picks in my gallery. 

I am fairly new to the forum so be patient.

Last I tried mass download it didnt work. I'll try once more.  There are 30 picks so it will take some time.

Here are some helpful hints for those of you wanting to disassemble your Kato portram for fun or profit.

1.the truck/motor/gear assembly must be unplugged from its board before removal.

2. remove the black plastic plate on the side of the truck assy. before attempting to remove from chassis.

3. the plastic plate that the truck/motor assembly is beneath (where the flat electrical contacts go through from front)  must be pushed forward to allow enough play to separate the pin holding the front and rear units together

4. when opening the T/M/G unit (what is this thing really called?) be extra cautious, the 1st plastic gear in line from the motor is really small and will take flight. this is the gear causing problems with my portram.  If the Truck itself hits any obstruction is will cause enough play that the gear falls out of its mount. There are 13 total gears per T/M/G assy.

5. the next problem area I see is at the connection between the flat copper power strip and the board.

6.  a little dry lubricant actually made this portram run faster than my other 2 new ones.

Good luck.

post-334-13569925071071_thumb.jpg

post-334-13569925071237_thumb.jpg

post-334-13569925071415_thumb.jpg

post-334-13569925071589_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Just a short update:

I got answer from HS and they send a new tram.  :grin

I can keep the 'old' one, so FFISKIV, thank the hints & pictures!

• Like 1

Just a short update:

I got answer from HS and they send a new tram.  :grin

I can keep the 'old' one, so FFISKIV, thank the hints & pictures!

That cost HS a tram but I'll bet they keep a customer.

That cost HS a tram but I'll bet they keep a customer.

You won.

My new tram arrived 2 days ago, so now we can start disassemble the old one.

post-248-13569925146222_thumb.jpg

My Kato TGV Duplex was covered. I got into contact with Kato USA, who got me into contact with Kato Japan. I had to pay shipping to Japan (no biggie), and they paid for return postage. No issues whatsoever!

I am very glad to hear that HS is sending you a replacement.

My Kato TGV Duplex was covered. I got into contact with Kato USA, who got me into contact with Kato Japan. I had to pay shipping to Japan (no biggie), and they paid for return postage. No issues whatsoever!

I am very glad to hear that HS is sending you a replacement.

Clem thats great KATO USA is in the mode to hook you up with KATO japan for a repair on a japanese train. they tend to run hot and cold on this, even on the few japanese trains kato usa brought over. the sold a bunch of the 500s a few years back and then when a few folks needed just some basic parts to repair broken couplers, etc they said just too bad... this seems to cycle ever so often back to helping like your case.

jeff