The Black Ship Train

bill937ca

On the Izuyku Railway at Kawana Station.

Another Izukyi train at the same station.

• Like 2

After seeing the Black Ships train on several pictures, my head only thought: pimpin'. That's the right word to describe this train. "Big pimpin'", or as one would say in Japan "V.I.P. Style". This train has class and style, but in a wrong kind of way. I like it :)

This is a really nice-looking train (and a good video of it).

Reading a machine-translated copy of the Japanese Wikipedia page for the 2100 Series it appears that at least some of these have operated into Tokyo (they're equipped with ATS-P for use on the Tokaido line), Shinagawa and Shinjuku. But I can't tell if the Black Ships train was one of them. Does anyone know if this train did/does operate into the Tokyo area, or if it's just used on the Atami-Ito-Izu route?

Micro Ace has a model of this that I've been looking at.  It's an 8-car train, and it appears from both the wikipedia page and the video that these now operate in 7-car sets (since the "Royal Box" smoking car was removed in 2003 when the trains went non-smoking).  But that's a change within my technical competence.  :grin

I'm really tempted by this model.

I'm waiting for my next paycheck, then I'm pulling the trigger on this one. Fortunately, my train collection constraint is such that I will only purchase "Trains that strike my fancy". :)

That's why I have a 113-2000 set on order, the Tama-train but not the Ichigo on reserve, the Blue Thunder locomotive with no cars to pull, and a random suburban that was cheap and fully lighted...

This is a really nice-looking train (and a good video of it).

Reading a machine-translated copy of the Japanese Wikipedia page for the 2100 Series it appears that at least some of these have operated into Tokyo (they're equipped with ATS-P for use on the Tokaido line), Shinagawa and Shinjuku. But I can't tell if the Black Ships train was one of them. Does anyone know if this train did/does operate into the Tokyo area, or if it's just used on the Atami-Ito-Izu route?

Series 21 trains do operate into Tokyo during peak periods.  I'm not sure how peak periods is defined for a resort area, but I would start with summer national holidays, Golden Week, Obon and the mid-July to September period. These trains supplement the Super View Odoriko and Odoriko operated normally on this service.

This is near Shinagawa.

http://railstar.sakura.ne.jp/shitetsu/shutoken/izukyu_2100kei_kurofune.htm

Black Ship 21 at the Nambu line at Musashi-mizonokuchi Station.

http://www.geocities.jp/tkk_5151/gallery/JRE_nambu_01.html

Special express "Resort dancer No.81" black ship train

Breaking 1079 at 5/3 (Wednesday) At 08:15:04 No. extra-20060503081256.

Driving first day at this season of temporary special express "Resort dancer No.81" that allots 2100 Izukyu faction "Resort 21EX". (Before though it has run by the pet name name such as "Dancer [furu-ru]". )

Because this organization ..the first organization.. ..taking the place.. became "Black ship train", is it the first as the black ship train?In drinking having become the first train of Tokyo.

9031M special express "Resort dancer No.81" Tokyo → Izukyu-Shimoda

2100 Izukyu factions and 7B/"Resort 21EX"

700×450pix and Jpeg70% Tv/Canon PowerShot Pro1/(ISO=100) f4.5(+1/3) and 1/500sec about 92.4 KB

20060503-07:49/Toukaido Main Line Shin-Koyasu Station

With "Resort dancer black ship train" head mark of gold (Is it a color strictly modeled on gold?).

http://8.pro.tok2.com/~extra-t/extra-t_archives/2006/200605.html      (scroll down on this page for 2 more photos)

A machine translated 21 resort black ship train timetable:

http://www.excite-webtl.jp/world/english/web/?wb_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.izukyu.co.jp%2Fkurofune%2Ffutsu.html&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2&wb_submit=+%96%7C+%96%F3+

Currently there is no limited express timetable for the 21 Resort Black Ship train on the Izukyu web site.

• Like 1

I found more info by translating my search into Japanese.

A special train was run Saturday March 13, 2010 to commemorate the opening of Musahi-Kosugi Station Yokosuka line driving into JR Shinjuku Station.

Photo take around Meguro Station 2010-3-13.

http://railf.jp/news/mintetsu/izukyu/

Another special train.

http://rail.hobidas.com/rmn/archives/2009/05/jr_152.html

It puts it together on "The 70th black ship festival" held in the Shizuoka prefecture rice field city, and is a temporary special express 〈 the resort dancer No.91 〉"21 resort black ship train" and Tachikawa Saturday, May 16?It was driven between Izukyu-Shimoda.

After Nanbu line opens, the limited express train's being driven by Nanbu line and the south Takeshi branch line is the first. Moreover, the switchback is done in the south Takeshi branch line Hama-Kawasaki Station premises, and do the go into a line of the train to the Tokaido freight line. It was a route not seen in a usual commercial operation.

A third special train.

http://rail.hobidas.com/rmn/archives/2009/06/jr_161.html

The exhibition of the E259 faction 〈 Narita Express 〉was held at Yokosuka Station on June 13. Is the holding time 12 o'clock?The visit in the car was able to form a line greatly at 15 o'clock. 、Moreover, the 120th Yokosuka Line opening anniversary event was held in the [veruni-] park around the station, and it crowded with a lot of coming guests all day.

The exhibition of "21 resort black ship train" 2100 Izukyu factions was held on the 14th the next day, and here was crowded with a lot of people, too. It was both one of the 120th Yokosuka Line anniversary events, and it became the first in "21 resort black ship train" and the E259 faction and 2100 shape Yokosuka Station go into a line

I'm waiting for my next paycheck, then I'm pulling the trigger on this one. Fortunately, my train collection constraint is such that I will only purchase "Trains that strike my fancy". :)

That's why I have a 113-2000 set on order, the Tama-train but not the Ichigo on reserve, the Blue Thunder locomotive with no cars to pull, and a random suburban that was cheap and fully lighted...

Well, paycheck has come and gone, and the trigger has been pulled. I sneaked it in at the tail end of the 50% off shipping sale.

This really is a striking train - a big change from the square, silver boxes. Can't wait to get it!

Ken and/or rankodd - would you post photos when you get it?

I keep forgetting to ask this question. For example on the side of the train under the Japanese characters in English it says, "The Black Ship Train", why do they also print the name in English? (In the US you don't see on the side of the Acela its name in Japanese?)

Sure.

I keep forgetting to ask this question. For example on the side of the train under the Japanese characters in English it says, "The Black Ship Train", why do they also print the name in English? (In the US you don't see on the side of the Acela its name in Japanese?)

I'd guess it's a combination of "foreign languages are exotic" and a country where all children learn a basic amount of English so the phrase is meaningful, in other words its a Marketing tactic.  Basically the same reason Starbucks calls a large coffee a "Venti".

Although in this case, the people on the Black Ships were English-speakers, so there's more justification than usual.

I'll take pics - no problem. I didn't spring for shipping, though, so it'll be a few weeks.

Second - the Japanese *LOVE* English. It's everywhere over there, but most of it is in garbled soundbite-sized phrases that don't make a huge amount of sense - they just think it looks cool. The rest is invested in bi-lingual infrastructure. Most street signs in major cities are bilingual, as are announcements and signs at train stations and in trains. It's pretty amazing to consider.

They all love to say they speak it, too. Even if they just know a few words.

!@$%#^!%@^#%!%$@^&*&*&%&*@!*&$$@

So much for that idea:

Unfortunately we had to cancel 10-0715-1739, because the item in the order was out of stock.

We deeply apologize for your inconvenience and your understanding would be greatly appreciated.

Three guesses what was in that order.

*edit*

Nuts. I just remembered that this is a Micro Ace train, which means I'll never see another one. Arg! KenS! I'm coming for your train! Be prepared....

*edit*

Nuts. I just remembered that this is a Micro Ace train, which means I'll never see another one. Arg! KenS! I'm coming for your train! Be prepared....

I'm not sure about that.  The Nankai 50000 has been reissued and two older Keihan Limited Express trains are again being reissued.  There are not as many new trains as there were in the 90s. Sooner later Micro Ace will have to reissue or risk not having trains to issue.

*edit*

I'm not sure about that.  The Nankai 50000 has been reissued and two older Keihan Limited Express trains are again being reissued.  There are not as many new trains as there were in the 90s. Sooner later Micro Ace will have to reissue or risk not having trains to issue.

But I'm part of the Internet generation and demand instant gratification. :(

Oh well. The train is cool enough to wait for, I suppose.

I'll be sure to hide it.  That's assuming they don't cancel mine too.  I got the "please pay" note from them early this morning (late Friday Japan time), which suggests they think mine was in stock, but since they're closed this Saturday, I really won't know for sure until Monday Japan time.  Anxiety sets in...

I'll be sure to hide it.  That's assuming they don't cancel mine too.  I got the "please pay" note from them early this morning (late Friday Japan time), which suggests they think mine was in stock, but since they're closed this Saturday, I really won't know for sure until Monday Japan time.  Anxiety sets in...

More anxiety as Monday is a National Holiday in Japan.  You'll find out sometime Tuesday Japan time.

If you got the please pay notice, then I suspect you've got nothing to worry about.

Dammit. :P

And lo, for the frustrated buyer did receive an email from the Hobby Search, and within that email lay news of the reappearance of the Black Train. And this news was welcome, for the frustrated buyer did yet wish to acquire the Black Train. And so, and order was placed, and the frustrated buyer's credit card did scream in agony.

• Like 1

The Black Ship Train in Tokyo (well, Yokohama).  Photographers notes:

R 91 Yokohama Station depart resort dancer Tokaido Line Limited Express

Shooting around 11:45 am July 11, 2009

Photographic Equipment: HDR-XR520V

• Like 1

Now for comic relief watch a regular Izukyu Resort 21  with Tetsudo Otaku setting up for photos, parents with baby strollers and mother's with babes in arms running for trains that do not wait.

JR Yokohama Station depart the resort Odorikogo Tokaido Line Limited Express

52 minutes shooting around 12 pm June 13, 2009

Shooting Location: Yokohama Station

Photographic Equipment: HDR-XR520