Kato Double Track Viaduct platform Ext.

Bernard

Thanks! So as I see it unlike the viaduct track you need to have 4 curved sections plus straight track. For only a center platform with a track on either side, what additional tracks would you need and the radius of the curve?

• Like 1
Enwhycentral

I've just joined this forum today and already I'm finding it to be a treasure trove of information and ideas.  A big thanks to those of you who created it and to those who post to it.  I'm planning a 4 track Kato Unitrack elevated station which will probably look like the track plan I've attached to this post. I already have enough platforms and track and I was wondering how many sets of 23-232 I would need to place under the tracks and platforms as I do not want to use the viaduct station structures.  Any help you could provide would be very much appreciated.

post-308-13569924377499_thumb.jpg

Enwhycentral - Welcome to the forum!

Here is a suggestion I have for you.  Are you planning on making a layout? If so, why don't you start a thread in "Personal Projects"? Post details of the layout (ex, what trains you want to run, how many trains, etc.) if you have a track plan include it or any other information you'd like to add. It's a great way to get suggestions from members and at the same time you'll be able to document the development of your layout.

You actually get 4 of the low walls and 4 of the high walls with the smaller windows in each extension kit.

cheers

jeff

Enwhycentral

Am I correct in thinking that there are 2 extension plates in each 23-232 set?  Can anyone provide the dimensions of the plate and whether it can accommodate 2 tracks separated by a platform?  Thanks again.

Enwhycentral

Hi Bernard,

Thank you  for your suggestions.  I have been a model railroader and railfan since 1949 and I have been planning an N scale layout since 1971, when I bought my first N scale trains!  Now that I'm retired (and with my wife's permission!) I'm finally getting around to moving my plans along.  It might be somewhat premature for me to post many details about the development of my layout although I will soon create a thread in "personal projects" that I hope will add to everyone's enjoyment of our hobby.  FYI, I am using Kato Unitrack exclusively even though I will be modeling the N.Y. Central System in the U.S.A. as it was from just before WW II until its demise in 1968.  I also am building a vertical lift bridge (see attached photo) using Kato bridge decks and piers, etc. as well as disassembled Model Power HO scale bridges and a lot of basswood.  It is about 80% complete right now.  I have posted photos and talked about it on other forums but I think it may be of interest here as well.  The bridge will connect to a viaduct leading to a 4 track station and then into a tunnel under Manhattan's Park Avenue.  This will be a much condensed version patterned on the prototype now used by Metro-North.  All in all, it will extend 12-14 feet.  I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!

post-308-13569924378013_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Am I correct in thinking that there are 2 extension plates in each 23-232 set?  Can anyone provide the dimensions of the plate and whether it can accommodate 2 tracks separated by a platform?  Thanks again.

Enwhycentral,

yes the extension kit comes with 2 track plates, 4 low walls and 4 high sm window walls.

they are 248mm x 100mm

you can put a platform between two tracks (bowing one out) in a single plate wide platform

http://www.kato-unitrack.co.uk/kato-unitrack-23-125-viaduct-station-kit-1420-0.html

ill look around for the kato station sheet it has more info on it from what i remember

cheers

jeff

Well thats the cool thing if you make your own platform you can make a much larger one pretty cheaply! and to your custom size to boot!

cheers

jeff

Well thats the cool thing if you make your own platform you can make a much larger one pretty cheaply! and to your custom size to boot!

cheers

jeff

And a lot more level due to the size with smoother transitions to the sectional breaks!

Thanks! So as I see it unlike the viaduct track you need to have 4 curved sections plus straight track. For only a center platform with a track on either side, what additional tracks would you need and the radius of the curve?

Oops. Clicked "like" instead of "reply".  Not that it was a bad question.

I didn't see anyone actually reply specifically to this.  If you're asking about putting an island platform between two tracks in an elevated (viaduct) station using Unitrack, what you need are a pair of R481-15 curves at each end on one of the tracks (the other is straight). This creates a gap sized for Kato's island platforms (41mm at the base). If you're using Kato platforms you'll also need one set of #4 platform ends (23-105), which is the only way to get the 481 end (Kato #4 switch curve), all the others are sized for R718 (#6 switch curve). This will fit in one width (100mm) of the elevated viaduct station.

The #4 end is also longer than the other ends (248mm rather than 200mm), which isn't clearly documented.

Note: HS has a misleading description for 23-104, calling it a #4 end. That's actually a #3 end (which is a 718 curve). I have a couple, so I know the description is wrong.