Japanese 1/80 buildings

Hi all,

With Tomix and Kato and other makers producing some nice 1/80 rolling stock,locos etc,I've been wondering about buildings/accessories in this scale. N gaugers are blessed with lots of choices regarding buildings etc,but there seems to be very little for those modeling in H0(1/80). Are there any Japanese makers around producing 1/80 items like stations/platforms,houses,signals...etc?

Regards

Max

Most 1/80 buildings are made by Hiruma Modelcraft but there are some by DDF too, as previously posted whats available is normally at hobbysearch and hobbyword  Lew

Thanks for the tips. One must be loaded with cash in order to model in 1/80  :cool: Is there any support for 13mm gauge left? I remember years ago there was Spike Models(wheels and gears),Shinohara(rails) and others I forgot about.

Regards

Max

Models IMON model 1/87 on 12mm track very popular if you go on the IMON website there is a section where they comdem 1/80 HO as not being a true scale but a lie to the modeller!!

Lew

Indeed,1/80 has nothing to do with H0. 16 bango( #16),J-16.5 or J-13 would be more correct. 1/80 is just an odd scale like 1/76, both using 16.5mm gauge which is widely available, but wrong.

I believe that Japanese buildings labeled H0 are actually 1/80 scale and as such would be oversized for 1/87 12mm model railway. As to popularity of Japanese H0, that word only applies to N gauge.

Both 12mm and 13mm gauge modelers are far and few between and 1/80-16.5mm is mostly used in clubs and perhaps rental layouts. Since all Japanese H0(1/87-12mm) equipment is made of brass and super detailed,the price is very steep, not a receipe for popularity  :grin

Max

...One must be loaded with cash in order to model in 1/80...

Must one? I'm working in 1/80th, and to a fairly tight budget, so I can't agree with your assertion. But if by modelling you mean buying everything in, then that's a different story. :laugh:

I've found various accessories such as signals, OHW masts etc. in 1/80th. I usually buy one and then use it as a template to scratchbuild others myself. Likewise with buildings, or I simply work out the basic dimensions, produce a drawing and then build it out of suitable materials - card, scale timber or styrene as appropriate. I'm an ex-boilermaker with big hands and poor eyesight, so if I can do it, anybody can.

?iid=yuvbep&outx=650&quality=70

I'm also not averse to using models intended for either 1/76th or  1/87th. The trick there is to use the 1/76th scale stuff in the foreground, and the 1/87th in the background. A rudimentary form of forced-perspective modelling, if you will. It works for me, and unless your modelling buddies or visitors carry a scale rule with them, no-one will be any the wiser. (If they do have a scale rule, take it off them!)

As for the discrepancy in track gauge between 12mm/13mm and 16.5mm, my layouts have always been built at or near eye-level, and to date no-one has ever commented on the track being the wrong gauge. Yes, it's a compromise, but it's one I'm prepared to make in order to have a reasonable chance of finishing my layout before I die.

Cheers,

Mark.

For my modern JRF loco depot i use  a pike stuff 1/87 depot, i try and keep to 1/80 as much as I can, the tomix cars are a blessing but no modern trucks, your OK for buses but no trucks :(

Mark, I should have specified rolling stock when talking about 'loaded with cash' ,the picture of your 'Yamada no ribo' station is a fine example of scratch building.More pictures of your layout please....inspiration :cool:

I've been 'reconstructing' 1/50 Aoshima kits into running models plus started scratch building wagons in the same scale, however this is a very time consuming project,therefor I'm looking at having in the meantime a second layout,preferable 1/80-13mm gauge. In fact I've downloaded a lot of buildings from Japanese paper craft sites,they can be scaled up and transferred to styrene.

If one likes steam in 1/80, you have to buy brass,the cheapest kits from Adachi will set you back 50-60.000Y. Well,I have the feeling I'm going off topic now,probably the topic ought to be shifted to 'other gauges' .

Regards

Max

[/img]

post-222-13569923944248_thumb.jpg

post-222-13569923944921_thumb.jpg