How do you store your trains

David

How do you store your trains (mark any that applies)  

77 members have voted

1. 1. How do you store your trains (mark any that applies)

• Book Cases
    • Plastic Jewel Cases
    • Cardboard/Foam Packaging
    • Other box/case/drawer
    • They're stored on the track!

We've got at least 2 threads that have started going off in this direction - a lot of us don't have a temporary layout, or otherwise just don't have the yard space to keep most of our trains on the track permanently.

I need an hangar to make a permanent layout to store my trains, for now is all stored in original box/case inside a 6 door furniture (now I need to sell my old H0 TGV's because I need more free space)

ciao

Massimo

I prefer to keep as many trains as possible on the layout. Which means the number of trains is ultimately limited or the layout gets larger and larger.  But there is storage under the table and that is where my train cases are located. Most of my trams are in their cases as they do not have a permanent home at this time.

CaptOblivious

I keep everything I can in bookshelf cases, but there's still some stuff loose in plastic and cardboard: ホキ800's, locomotives and my lone キハ110, and a couple of コキ200's. I keep this loose stuff in a small index-card box.

shelf.jpg

box.jpg

Anything I've bought as a set (the kid's 500, my 115 and Haruka) are in their cases. I've been putting the miscellaneous coaches that I buy off ebay etc into the DeLuxe Innovations "PassengerPak" boxes. But now I can't find any store that has any in stock, and the DI website isn't working too well, so I'm afraid they may no longer be available. If anybody knows where to find some, let me know.

Martijn Meerts

Mine are all in their original cases, which means that add-ons that don't come with a "book case" aren't stored in the book case of the base sets.

CaptOblivious

Mine are all in their original cases, which means that add-ons that don't come with a "book case" aren't stored in the book case of the base sets.

I keep the original cases, but I totally rearrange things to fit in running order in bookcases. This includes buying spare cases where needed to get everything in.

Does anybody store their trains in a glass display case?

A friend of mine who collects Lionel has an entire room with his trains displayed on tracks in glass cases. Even if you're not a train fanatic, visitors to his home will look at his collection.

Does anybody store their trains in a glass display case?

A friend of mine who collects Lionel has an entire room with his trains displayed on tracks in glass cases. Even if you're not a train fanatic, visitors to his home will look at his collection.

Hi Bernard!

in the past I put my H0 FS collection in glass display but it's not a good idea for white Shinkansen

If you have to much sun, after a few months you have a double color train, half white and half yellowed (especially nose and tomix coupler because the plastic is not painted)

I won on Yahoo one Kato TGV, left side original orange and right side orange/yellow :-) (fortunatelly I need this to kitbashing one La Poste TGV, seller declared that's a junk train)

ciao

Massimo

Claude_Dreyfus

I keep the book sets in a shelving unit in a spare room - locos, wagons and other suchlike live in the drawers seen just to the right of this picture.

Talking about displays; I know a guy who has a complete Eurostar, TGV Sudest, TGV Atlantique and Duplex in N Gauge, as well as a TGV Poste and Record du Monde H0 sets (amongst others) in transafe boxes fitted to his sitting room wall. Looks most effective.  :cool:

post-141-13569923737263_thumb.jpg

Martijn Meerts

I'd love to have all my stuff in a display case, but as already mentioned, there's a fair chance of discoloration..

The display case would have to be place somewhere where there's never any direct sunlight, and any artificial light would have to be even across the entire train set.

Mudkip Orange

I keep the book sets in a shelving unit in a spare room - locos, wagons and other suchlike live in the drawers seen just to the right of this picture.

Talking about displays; I know a guy who has a complete Eurostar, TGV Sudest, TGV Atlantique and Duplex in N Gauge, as well as a TGV Poste and Record du Monde H0 sets (amongst others) in transafe boxes fitted to his sitting room wall. Looks most effective.  :cool:

HOLY CRAP dude are all of those yours?

HOLY CRAP dude are all of those yours?

I second that!!!

Claude_Dreyfus

I didn't realise it was that much...

Perhaps a little misleading as most of my trains are made up from more than one book set, there are for example 6 Bullets amongst that lot, which take up a lot of cases. I think the book sets are very smart, especially the Kato ones, and well worth displaying.

I'd agree with the drawbacks of display cabinets. The wall-mounted sets I referred to are situated in such as way that they never get direct sunlight on them. I have seen the damage sun can do to models, fortunately the worst I have ever experinced personally was a discoloured Kato Toyota Crown, as opposed to any stock.

Hi Claude,

please ask to this guy (if he is your friend) if he want one complete TGV Pendulaire in H0 (Lima), I have this and many more to sell (if he want I send a complete list ;-)  (SE, PBA, PBKA, La Poste 2° livery...)

note: TGV Atlantique in N ? are you sure? maybe is SE in ligne du Coeur livery..

thank's!

ciao

Massimo

I have various trains and although most of my OO/HO gauge trains are stored in their boxes in a large cardboard box. I have some of them on display in two Bookcase cabinets that I bought from Argos yonks ago. While most of my trains are British in the larger scale. I have some HO scale continental trains like the Lima TGV Thalys PBA (with a knackered chassis, because of a dishonest seller on ebay :sad:), A Mehano RENFE AVE S-100 (both of these are four car units) and a Mehano Blue Tiger in HVLE livery which has DCC sound :grin.

Also there is my N gauge rolling stock which I usually keep in their boxes tucked away under the baseboard when they are not being used on the layout as I know they will be stored safe under there as they won't get damaged! :grin.

Regarding the TGV Atlantique in N gauge. Didn't Kato announce one of these in 2006? But it got put back because the TGV POS came to be the fastest train on rails to hold the world record in 2007, so Kato focused on modelling that instead. Anyways I would love to see Kato/Lemke finally get round to making the TGV Altantique, Reseau and the Thalys PBA in N gauge as then I can run them on my layout.

My Kato Eurostar sets (8 cars + 4 cars) are on a bookshelf with some Unitrack set (V7 plus 2 pcs V4) and a T-Gauge train. Unitram and V11 boxes are bigger.  :grin

British models are in a different place as I posted in another topic.

post-248-1356992374408_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569923744466_thumb.jpg

I like the storage idea, but I may have a suggestion for the drawer storage though. Would it be better to lay a sheet of foam in the bottom of each draw so that the base does not rub against the model trains and possibly it may prevent the paintwork on the models from getting damaged? :grin.

I am planning to get a full 16-car JR 700 Nozomi set by Kato this year as it will compliment my Hikari Railstar then :cheesy.

Claude_Dreyfus

I didn't realise it was that much...

Yah, it is. I take it you have some full, 16-car Shinkansen then?

Yes, I have four 16-car sets - 0, 100, 300 & 700. There's also a 16-car M250 and about five or six units that have separate add-ons. I've been collecting N Gauge for nearly 25 years now, most of which has been sold on and replaced over the last couple of years or so when I seriously took up Japanese modelling.

As I mentioned, I really like the book set concept, something that has only fairly recently taken off in UK modelling. When I started UK modelling, the boxes were cardboard with vacuum formed inner trays. They were flimsy and a pain to put all the stock back in, especially after an exhibition; anyone who has to put away 36 4-wheeler coal hoppers will understand how time-consuming it is...

I also referred earlier to a friend of mine having a number of sets displayed in trainsafe containers. Our new club layout will have adaptor roads to accept trainsafe, as the trains can be run directly out of the container. He may have a problem with the Eurostar though - he's got a VW Golf, and we don't think the Eurostar will fit!!

Before you think this is an advert for Trainsafe, I don't personally have any. However if you want to securely store you trains, as a complete set - without having to mess around coupling and uncoupling - that that is probebaly a good way to go. Note though, you do need quite a bit of space to display them!

I found this at HS. Another way to store and transport your model trains, inside a metalic case. Seems prety neat but ouch, that is a pricey item.

And here for the pictures.