JNS Facebook Group

You have to bow to the inevitable.  I hate facebook, left it, have had to rejoin because of my faculty and students

*sigh*

so a JNS group on facebook would actually make it more worthwhile

G

While not a fan of it myself, I use it for direct family only, it would be a decent magnet. I think the group would just be a feeder to the forums. Since most of the established member base or potential member base comes from the Yahoo groups and the J-train clubs, there's not much on Facebook as so far as the existing hobbyists go. It would be a a usable recruitment tool for trying to get people in to the hobby.

Darren Jeffries

Ok, my 2 penneth... I use facebook rarely. I only really have people on my friends list who are either family or friends. Some online friends in there too.

I do think it might be worth a go, so anybody who wants to put together a group, go ahead and post the info here.

CaptOblivious

I'm not opposed to the idea, although I fervently avoid Facebook (for personal reasons). Go for it! But I do have a couple of questions:

Besides a potential source of new members, what do we stand to gain? What do we stand to lose (i.e., is there a chance of having too much of the forum's content shift to Facebook, possibly excluding non-Facebookers like me from significant chunks of otherwise worthwhile conversation?)

Martijn Meerts

I spent a total of 5 minutes on facebook I think, and that includes the time needed to create an account..

In all honesty, I created an account to check the UI, I was never interested in actually using facebook for anything ;)

Martijn Meerts

So, I had another look at facebook, still don't like the interface, and I don't see why the whole thing is so popular..

Then again, having no registered friends doesn't help things I guess ;)

I have a number of clients now that claim large facebook followings, but when i keep asking them if they do anything when asked the answer is that there is little response to causes, drives, etc. it seems to really be sort of an electronic bumper sticker and little is driven to actually doing something. only thing i can think it would do for jns is maybe find a few odd fish over in that pond that might not have found jns yet. not sure if train folks are big into facebook or would think to search facebook for japanese trains, but maybe they would looking for other people and find the group.

what it takes is someone that is a bit into face book to create the page and then keep it up to date with some new stuff every couple of weeks. w/o this it looks stale fast and facebook is a pain to deal with even when you play with it some all the time!

cheers

jeff

So, I had another look at facebook, still don't like the interface, and I don't see why the whole thing is so popular..

Then again, having no registered friends doesn't help things I guess ;)

I just talk to immediate family, and my ex-gf/vry good friend from Singapore on it twice a day.

For the reasons Jeff mentions, and others, I'd rather put the energy into JNSwiki (and I haven't even been doing that for a while....).

Yeah, but not everyone is on board with the wiki, just as not everyone is on board for Tetsudo. Our membership base is great enough that people can do several things, nothing, or somewhere in between.

BURP BUMP

Do we do it or not. Not like it is going to require any time or effort.

cant hurt to keep it up there, but adding something to it every few weeks would really add bait to the hook. simple approach on this kind of thing is to find content from jns you can just repurpose to give a sample of what is going on over here to entice folks to check it out. perhaps just a few pity summaries (ie a sentence or two) of interesting threads going on currently and a link to it.

cheers

jeff

I personally dont think i will do any thing for JNS forum, if you really are looking for a forum about Japanese trains, you will surf the internet and would have found Jns forum like i did when i joint.

If one look at the admin&welcome thread , there is  people signing up to this forum almost every day, so we dont need facebook to find peolpe that only will sign up to check out what we are doing at JNS forum.

Well just my opinion.

Brian

domino

there is  people signing up to this forum almost every day, so we dont need facebook to find peolpe that only will sign up to check out what we are doing at JNS forum.

And virtually none of which ever post either.