HO - Kato DE10

marknewton

marknewton
I have today also ordered a Kato DE10.....in H0!

Coming over to the dark side, are you?  :grin

Seriously, I'd be interested to know what your opinion is of this model once it arrives. I'm thinking of getting one myself. At the moment I only have one JNR diesel, a Tenshodo DD13, and I'd like another. DD51s leave me cold, so that narrows my choices somewhat. I'd welcome any comments on the DE10.

Cheers,

Mark.

Claude_Dreyfus
I have today also ordered a Kato DE10.....in H0!

Coming over to the dark side, are you?   :grin

Seriously, I'd be interested to know what your opinion is of this model once it arrives. I'm thinking of getting one myself. At the moment I only have one JNR diesel, a Tenshodo DD13, and I'd like another. DD51s leave me cold, so that narrows my choices somewhat. I'd welcome any comments on the DE10.

Cheers,

Mark.

Will probably be a few weeks before I can get hold of it; pictures and observation will follow in due course. Whilst I am personally rather fond of the DD51, they are too big for what I have in mind for an H0 layout - even though they are currently in stock at MG Sharps....

marknewton

That would be great, I look forward to your comments.

Cheers,

Mark.

The HO-gauge Kato DE10 is an impressive model for what I assume its equivelant to a British Class 14, the pulling power is very good and all wheels on this version I tested in 2008 are all gear-driven. There are no traction tyres on this model and the locomotive is "heavy" enough to pull a standard rake of wagons without wheelslip. This one I borrowed from my mate could haul 10 British TEA 100 tonne articulated tankers with no problem. I believe these models retail for around £78-£115 so shop about before making your decision :grin.

I am seeking a Tomix EH500 in HO gauge just to put in my display cabinet, but these are about £195 starting price and that is just for a used one! :cheesy.

Thanks, EWS, that's the sort of information I'm after. After reading your comments, I have to have one!  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

Darklighter

I'm looking for a decoder for my DE10. I think I'm going to need a decoder with 6 functions: front headlights, rear headlights, front taillights, rear taillights, interior lighting, switching mode lighting (front right taillight+rear left taillight).

Does a Digitrax DN163PS fit? It's pretty tight in there... 

Martijn Meerts

If space is a concern you could always go for a combination of N-scale motor decoder + additional function decoder.

I'm not far from fitting decoders to my two DE10s, so I'm open to suggestions about what to use. As Darklighter notes, there's not a lot of room inside these models. 

Martin, how would you go about fitting two separate decoder as you've suggested?

Cheers,

Mark.

Martijn Meerts
I'm not far from fitting decoders to my two DE10s, so I'm open to suggestions about what to use. As Darklighter notes, there's not a lot of room inside these models. 

Martin, how would you go about fitting two separate decoder as you've suggested?

Cheers,

Mark.

Just get a regular motor decoder and hook up the motor to that, and possible the head and tail lights. Then add a function only decoder to control additional functions such as cab lights, dash lights, and whatever else you need .. The function decoder can have the same address, you just need to adjust the default programming so the function decoder responds to the correct function keys.

I'm not entirely sure how to go about doing multiple lights variations though, you might end up having to make a custom light board. It's not something I have looked at at all considering I've never needed it in N-scale.

Thanks Martin - I'm a complete novice when it comes to DCC. I've only done one installation so far, on an Atlas US diesel. I took my time and worked very carefully, and to my surprise it all worked. That loco has sound, but I doubt I could find room in a DE10 for a speaker...

I'll go with your suggestion, but one more question if I may? I'm guessing that the function decoder would only be wired to the pickups, and not to the motor as well?

Thanks again,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton

I would question why you would need both a motor decoder and a separate function decoder?  This means you need to find space for two PCBs and associated wires instead of one.  Why not just go for a motor decoder with 6 functions (or 8, whichever one you need).

I have the Kato HO DE10 (the JRF Renewal colour) as well and I'm looking at fitting a decoder within the next week or so.  I've popped the lid off and certainly should be able to fit a TCS DP2X for minimal motor and headlight control... I haven't checked clearances yet.  Otherwise, if you want a decoder with a wiring harness, I have seen most people tuck the board on top of the motor underneath the PCB.

Martijn Meerts
Thanks Martin - I'm a complete novice when it comes to DCC. I've only done one installation so far, on an Atlas US diesel. I took my time and worked very carefully, and to my surprise it all worked. That loco has sound, but I doubt I could find room in a DE10 for a speaker...

I'll go with your suggestion, but one more question if I may? I'm guessing that the function decoder would only be wired to the pickups, and not to the motor as well?

Thanks again,

Mark.

The function decoder would only be wired to the pickups yes.. They don't have a motor output :)

I would question why you would need both a motor decoder and a separate function decoder?  This means you need to find space for two PCBs and associated wires instead of one.  Why not just go for a motor decoder with 6 functions (or 8, whichever one you need).

I have the Kato HO DE10 (the JRF Renewal colour) as well and I'm looking at fitting a decoder within the next week or so.  I've popped the lid off and certainly should be able to fit a TCS DP2X for minimal motor and headlight control... I haven't checked clearances yet.  Otherwise, if you want a decoder with a wiring harness, I have seen most people tuck the board on top of the motor underneath the PCB.

Depends on several things.. Some trains don't have enough room for a single large-ish decoder, so using 2 small decoders might be an option. Decoders with many function outputs can be fairly large. Also, not all manufacturers have them, so if you prefer a specific brand, or if the brand that does decoders with many outputs isn't easily available you might be better off using multiple decoders. Another reason could be that the functions you want draw more power than a single decoder can comfortably handle, although that is usually only a problem with the smaller decoders.