Which Decoder for kato 10-847 Narita express

herve37

Hi

I'm new on this forum.

I would like to buy a kato 10-847I  Narita expres and to convert it to DCC? I have read the intersting 2011 topic on this subject but without being sure of the answer,and my question is the following one. Has the 10-847  the appropriate sockets for the Kato 29-351 EM13 and 29-352 FL12?

Thank you for a quick answer

Guest keio6000

Herve, there are a few vendors vaguely associated with this forum.  While this is not the only one, I suggest that you buy from Nariichi-san from modeltrainsplus who has this in stock. 

In terms of officially available decoders available commercially the KATO ones are the only ones made to fit. 

There is the forum project listed in this forum category that provides a file for you to have a drop in replacement board made for the EM13 to which you solder your own D&H decoder (two versions -- one for PD05A and one for DH05C).  

For basic use the EM13 works fine as a motor decoder for the power car.  

Edited by chadbag
9 hours ago, chadbag said:

In terms of officially available decoders available commercially the KATO ones are the only ones made to fit. 

There is the forum project listed in this forum category that provides a file for you to have a drop in replacement board made for the EM13 to which you solder your own D&H decoder (two versions -- one for PD05A and one for DH05C).  

For basic use the EM13 works fine as a motor decoder for the power car.  

Thank you. I am just oging to get the EM12 decoder.

• Like 1

Just got the 10-847 along with the 3 car add on, an em13 decoder, and set of lights for the cars. Beautiful model. Can't get the motor car to run. Slid the em13 easy enough but does not seem to be making contact. Took out decoder and applied dc directly to contacts.  Motor runs. But won't run on track, even on DC. Any suggestions about where I am losing contact? 

Takahama Trainwatcher

Make sure that the bogies on the motor car have the brass pieces in them that make contact with the outside of the axles. Also make sure that, if those brass pieces are present, their vertical tabs are going pretty much straight up and are making contact with the brass strips in the carriage body.

After testing with a meter to try to locate where I am losing power, it appears that these lame contacts to the motor are the issue . Any suggestions to make these reliable? See photos

PXL_20230224_151245699.jpg

PXL_20230224_151316983.jpg

PXL_20230224_151329481.jpg

FYI... I ended up sending back to plaza japan for full credit. They agreed the product was defective. I have reordered, but not received yet. I still have the 3 car add on waiting for the proper motor car set.