To model, or to collect?

HantuBlauLOL

28 members have voted

1. 1. which one you belongs to?

• Modeller
    • Collector

velotrain

Velotrain

THAT IS a "Most Impressive" collection!!!

POMU

I found that photo somewhere maybe a year ago, and was intrigued by it.

Little did I suspect that I would find such an appropriate use for it ;-)

Looks like it might all be tinplate.

Rich - nah, just a guy on a ladder to get a better perspective.

That is an impressive collection, what's best, the Mrs. is still all smiles about it! 

He probably said we are going shopping after this photo.  Look happy woman! haha

marknewton

Unless you repackage them in better boxes, then it's a great way to instantly lower their value and loose any guides and spare parts not installed. If they are not kept in a dust free closed shelf or other display case, then they will get dusty too. It's also pretty hard to move them around to shows and meetings unpackaged without getting them crushed during transport. Trying to identify a piece of dinged old boxless rolling stock by looking for info on the internet is a good pasttime too.

I reckon you mean well, but I don't repackage any of my trains, nor am I concerned about their resale value. I bought them to play with, not as investments. Any detail parts that are included with the model I attach as soon as I get them. Spare parts I keep in labelled Gladbags in a drawer of my workbench.

When they're not being run my trains live in a sealed display cabinet. For transport I have a number of customised storage/carrying boxes, and I've never had anything damaged in 10 or more years of carting them around the country.

The one part of the packaging I do keep is the instruction sheet, where I make a note of where I bought the model, how much it cost, whether it was new or used, and what work I've done on it, if any. Attached to that is a photo of the model for identification. So as far as I'm concerned there's no need to keep the original boxes.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 2

Kvp was in collector mode, keep in original packaging and never take it out to play with! Gotta be mint in box!

Hard to enjoy stored inside the cases that is for sure. I have always wanted to do some nice display cases to have models out in view and not packed away in their storage boxes most of the time.

Jeff

velotrain

Jeff - with your relatively frequent shows, I should think you would want your trains in some sort of custom transport box so you can quickly remove and repack them vs. the original boxes.  Perhaps you have done that, but it's unclear from the text.  When I was running a long, brass, Amtrak consist on the HO modular layout, I bought a cheap hardshell case and lined it with foam for the entire train, so I wouldn't need to carry and unpack each individual engine / car box all the time.  With N-scale that should be even easier.  I see companies selling bookbox-type cases, but it's easy enough to "roll your own".

Kvp was in collector mode, keep in original packaging and never take it out to play with! Gotta be mint in box!

Not really. I just find so many boxless trains on 2nd hand markets, that are mostly damaged by storage and transport instead of actual play. Usually i try to find a safe storage box for all of my trains that come without one or were made by me. If this storage box is also usable as a display case, then it's even better. This doesn't mean i don't have a few trains behind glass right next to my desk at home, but i do have the boxes for them. Storage does get a bit problematic with my 1:42 trains, but seeing fellow modellers arriving at an exhibition with their trains in plastic vegetable boxes and always have a few parts missing here and there is something i don't really like. Personally since i don't have the space to display all of my trains at the same time (just the 1:42 passenger stock is around 40 meters and i don't really dare to count together the N scale ones), without proper storage boxes, i wouldn't be able to store them at all. If i really tried to put all my trains on shelves, then it would look something like the picture above, but you can't play with them this way and you need a dedicated room for it too. If a train gets damaged during running, then i usually try to repair it by replacing any broken parts. This is why i have a few 40-50 years old trains still in running condition. For some of them i even have the original boxes.

ps: Not having boxes or safe storage for everything is fine until you have to move everything at once. Then it becomes a rather large logistical problem and this is how many trains end up on the bottom of a shoebox in piles. Try to store these without proper storage boxes:

post-1969-0-82072900-1430686547_thumb.jpg

(these are some of my z scale trains, they need the smallest space so far; the two small bavarian cars on the bottom left are home made and are stored in a box made for a long passenger car)

Edited by kvp

For now, I am not yet a collector or even a modeller.. :D

If someone can be called as a collector only when he has more than 50 sets, then I am still far away to get there. LoL..

Wouldl be nice to be a modeller as we can create the model that we want, whether it is close to real or imaginary.. but it's still a long term hope.. so many tools required to be a modeller.. 

Right now, I'm satisfied with the original factory released models...

Ochanomizu

Hello Mr Robert46,

If you would rescue your trains before rescuing your wife then you are a collector, irrespective of whether you have but a handful of trains, or over 100.  This is, I believe, the test of a true collector!

• Like 1

Hi Mr. Ochanomizu,

To be honest, that's a very difficult question.. :) I have no idea which one I should rescue.. Hopefully both.. LoL but that's difficult for sure..

Hope it will never happen to me..

Unless you collect wives, then it makes the saving delema a bit easier except for which wife to save first, this could then be a problem...

Jeff

• Like 1
Ochanomizu

Unless you collect wives, then it makes the saving delema a bit easier except for which wife to save first, this could then be a problem...

Jeff

Hello Mr Jeff,

I think you are not married, for every married man knows just how foolish it would be to collect more wives !!!

Sadly, if the situation were reversed, I suspect my wife would give rescuing me and rescuing my trains equal priority.  That is, just below the TV remote and the ornamental cactus.

marknewton

My wife is very fit, so I'd grab the trains and she'd grab me! :)

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1