Tobu Railway to introduce new limited express design

bikkuri bahn

According to the article it's a portmanteau of variety and liberty. Makes slightly more sense in Katakana, but not much.

Edited by railsquid

Maybe I like it because it reminds me of the VIRM trains back in the Netherlands:

cq5dam.web.750.750.jpeg

Not incidentally, these are nicknamed 'Wasp'. ;) 

Posted today. Rail Note You Tube video.

You Tube video by Dr Yellow movie by charonzoom

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1

I wonder if these actually used the Tokaido Main Line to get to Kanto... which means that this transport passed by very nearby over here.

Really does look like a pissed off little hornet.

My first thought (before I read your comment) is that it looks very insectile.

Posted today. Rail Note You Tube video.

Nice loco, though I think I already have it.

I think this might be the first video of the 500 Series powered by itself. Moving on a stable track in the Minami Kurihashi yard and sounding the horn a few times. An electric horn and a traditional air horn (around 3:42) can be heard. Not the most exciting sounds, but the design makes up for it all.

Really nice looking! I hope either Tomix or Kato will pick this up as a production model.

• Like 1

Running at night.

Tobby おすすめチャンネル video

11032 Tobu video.

Edited by bill937ca

A tad older article I found earlier today: http://tabiris.com/archives/tobu500-2/ It seems the Revaty will be used in a far more versatile way than expected. Next to the combined Kegon/Aizu & Kinu (Nikkō, Kikugawa-onsen/Shin-fujiwara&Aizu-tajima) services, Kegon/Ryōmō (Nikkō/Tatebayashi) and Ltd. Express Urban Park Liner (Ōmiya/Noda-shi/Unga) services have been announced/proposed.

These are very big steps taken by Tōbu, as this will be the first in a long time to see a regular Ltd. Express service on the Noda line (Urban Park Line), as well as the first time to see a regular Ltd. Express north of Shin-fujiwara sta. on the Yagan and Aizu Railway. Especially the latter could use a good and fast connection, as only a handful of trains provide a connection with unreserved seats only nowadays. These, albeit, complicated operational patterns will certainly provide a solid connection to Asakusa from all ends of the Tōbu network and a good support for the local regions reached as well.

The more I read about this train, the more excited I get. Especially bearing in mind that this train has been developed firstly to support already existing services, rather than immediately replacing them. The 100 and 200 Series will probably be reduced in number over time from now, but a complete removal from service hasn't been announced or speculated so far.

I'm hoping a manufacturer other than MicroAce will pick this model up, as MA has lost my support. Greenmax on the other hand is more likely to do reruns and has upped the ante with their quality and output as well.

Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 2

Those are good news! Unlike most other recent designs I actually really love the looks of the Revaty.

As for a model my hope lies with Tomix, as they already did the Spacia before.

Those are good news! Unlike most other recent designs I actually really love the looks of the Revaty.

As for a model my hope lies with Tomix, as they already did the Spacia before.

That would be even better than Greenmax! That'd probably the ultimate model, as well as reasonably priced (probably 40% less, or so, of what Greenmax would charge).

I wouldn't be surprised this new trainset replaces most older Tobu trainset running limited express services. For example, the Shimotsuke service that run from Tobu-Utsunomiya to Tobu-Asakusa Stations could switch to this new trainset.

I wouldn't be surprised this new trainset replaces most older Tobu trainset running limited express services. For example, the Shimotsuke service that run from Tobu-Utsunomiya to Tobu-Asakusa Stations could switch to this new trainset.

There haven't been any talks yet to replace the Shimotsuke service, and thus the 350 Series is safe. With one run per day and the ability to run to Aizu-tajima (max. 4-car length), I think the 350s will be fine. These sets haven't been worked hard anyway, so they'll probably be around for a while.

There haven't been any talks yet to replace the Shimotsuke service, and thus the 350 Series is safe. With one run per day and the ability to run to Aizu-tajima (max. 4-car length), I think the 350s will be fine. These sets haven't been worked hard anyway, so they'll probably be around for a while.

I don't know--the 300/350 Series are actually conversions of the original 1800 Series limited express EMU built in the 1970's and 1980's. As such, the 300/350 Series may be soon reaching the end of their operational lives even though they were converted from the 1800 Series in the early 1990's.

The 300/350/1800 seem to be in jeopardy indeed. Just this weekend, the 500 had its test runs on the Nikkō line to Shin-Tochigi, where it will conduct test runs to Aizu-tajima and allegedly the Utsunomiya line (350 territory) as well. Then again, one or two may survive for emergency and/or special service purposes, like the irregular Kirifuri and Yunosato services.

Here is another video by Kasukabe総合車両センターちゃんねる where it performs an emergency stop in the last clip.

• Like 2

I think the Tobu 100 and 200 Series EMU's--built in the early 1990's--will probably stay around for another 7-8 years. But they too may eventually be replaced by the all-new 500 Seres EMU.

If it's another 7~8 years, a new type will probably/hopefully be chosen to replace the 100 and/or 200 series. The 100 Series is more oriented towards tourist operations, whereas the 200 Series (as the 1800 Series) is more geared towards commuter operations (has 110 more seats than the 100 Series). I wouldn't be surprised however to see a 6-car variation of the 500 Series as a replacement to be able to run combined 9-car (3+3+3 or 6+3) services in the future.