What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Got our yearly care package from my MIL/SILs today.  They always send it EMS for some reason and today's was large and heavy and the postage on it was 25,500 yen.  Ouch.  

Besides the normal cookies, seaweed, snacks, misc other foods, and some Arashi paraphernalia, was the stuff my SIL has been accumulating at her house for me -- mostly Amazon marketplace purchases from vendors who don't ship outside Japan, and the Bright-Chips lights.  I'll post more on the Bright-Chips in that thread, once I get some time to actually try them out.

The "Haruka" was my son's wish for Christmas, and I found this one "used" for a good deal.  It looks new, unused to me.  The KATO KoKI 104 is interesting.  Much lighter blue color on the wagons than my Tomix KoKi 104.   The Greenmax Huis ten Bosch KiHa 200 should go well with my other Kyushu KiHa 200 in red and blue.

132675161_large.xUma5qESUtMUhUL3maDQ.jpg.27e0f603255662ec21b8f582dd782b38.jpg186291435_large.MEGtUWbsTTOqXdsWhxVjw.jpg.03a34db9054ed5dcbd0d1b5ee91d8c1b.jpg440610770_large.JsL4pG0TuC0AU55iPGa4g.jpg.da4a7bb3a9d868e4f29a708af3998772.jpg1003357962_large.m1j5HnolSYuQZZJKsih2w.jpg.6e5c200613b12d55aca0dde7fb1e3189.jpg

• Like 4

I got the limited edition Kato 10-1515. It is a TAKI43000 Japan Oil Transportation 8-car set. I have a few other tank cars so I can now finally make a decent train.

large.IMG_2092.JPG.d42abbb23304366595ec1222340915a5.JPG

I have already replaced the Rapido couplers by knuckle couplers. A few pics:

large.DSC_1028.jpg.f52d85feac744d851d59819997d6c95f.jpglarge.DSC_1045.jpg.536b58a62d631d907c6a82b1d91375dd.jpglarge.1360354796_DSC_1031(1).jpg.7116c3597547488236ff40d6b14b7edd.jpg

The set comes with two red disks to indicate the end of the train. Is there a way to install them without using glue. There is quite a bit written in the box, but I don't read Japanese.

large.IMG_2094.JPG.c2eb1f8ba6e13f88eee25a2327966356.JPG

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
On 12/13/2018 at 3:00 PM, serotta1972 said:

Love these new Tomix special colored boxes, a nice departure from their blue boxes.

E3816A39-E565-42AE-B363-DC6768CE8023.jpeg

8B0F69C7-8E58-4A27-BACB-D950C9E2E124.jpeg

And here they are out of the box, the GSE looks amazing.  The AC roof equipment looks like anodized metal and really stands out.

IMG_6650.jpg

IMG_6656.jpg

IMG_6660.jpg

IMG_6662.jpg

• Like 11
4 hours ago, chadbag said:

The Greenmax Huis ten Bosch KiHa 200 should go well with my other Kyushu KiHa 200 in red and blue.

The HtB kiha 200 pair was one of the first trains I rode in japan one very wet typhoon evening from Nagasaki to Sasebo, pretty sure I was asleep for about half of it.  Very comfortable ride, and while not quite as stylish as the classic kiha 66/67 cars, it does have a very nice view out the front.  Let me know if you're ever looking to sell it!  Its one of those sets that's tempted me for years but I've never managed to pick one up yet.  😁

• Like 1

After a lucky ebay find, I now either have 2/3rds or 5/6ths of the Panorama Express Alps from Kato.

Picked up a lonely KuMoRo 165 earlier in the year for a few pounds, and found someone selling the KuRos, the dummy MoRo and a KuMoRo which may or may not have the same running number as the one I already have. I've seen photos of a half set being towed by a KuMoYa, so the lack of a powered MoRo won't make it entirely useless.

• Like 1
scotspensioner
6 minutes ago, Welshbloke said:

After a lucky ebay find, I now either have 2/3rds or 5/6ths of the Panorama Express Alps from Kato.

Picked up a lonely KuMoRo 165 earlier in the year for a few pounds, and found someone selling the KuRos, the dummy MoRo and a KuMoRo which may or may not have the same running number as the one I already have. I've seen photos of a half set being towed by a KuMoYa, so the lack of a powered MoRo won't make it entirely useless.

I saw that but I have a full set already.However I've picked up a 10-1176  8 coach add on pack for an N700A from Hattons  and from eBay I've got a 10-1127 Snowplough train and a 10-350 6 coach Monitor/Monterey 165 set all within the past week and in addition I'm waiting for a 10-1266 6 coach add on pack for an E7!!

Santa Claus must have been using eBay this year!!

• Like 2

Got my 1611 AT212-15 turntable in today!  It's a Christmas present, so I won't be unboxing it...err...publicly... until after the holidays.

Wife was gone, so I tested it.  It sure has a clunky gear in it.  Doesn't always want to turn.  LaBelle 108'd everything that moved.  Didn't seem to help.  Motor seems weak.  But it works.  I'm going to talk more about this little guy in the track systems forum.

• Like 1

I'll probably have to ask whether anyone has the instructions for the Kato 10-158 pack when the cars turn up. I'll definitely need a load of gangway bellows, and if the KuMoRo in the bundle isn't a duplicate of the one I already have it appears to be missing some detailing parts. I realise GreenMax sell suitable components but I'd rather fit OEM ones if I can find them.

scotspensioner
3 minutes ago, Welshbloke said:

I'll probably have to ask whether anyone has the instructions for the Kato 10-158 pack when the cars turn up. I'll definitely need a load of gangway bellows, and if the KuMoRo in the bundle isn't a duplicate of the one I already have it appears to be missing some detailing parts. I realise GreenMax sell suitable components but I'd rather fit OEM ones if I can find them.

I have them lying beside me right now and I could get my son to photocopy them for you if you want.Let me know please

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, scotspensioner said:

I have them lying beside me right now and I could get my son to photocopy them for you if you want.Let me know please

Thanks, I don't need the whole sheet just the part numbers (posting them here would be fine, easier than scanning or copying). I'll let you know which bits I need the codes for when the cars arrive and I know what's missing. I suspect they're parts which are common to a few Kato models so I may find stocks of them.

Little late but November's HS order. The ET-127 is in some ways superior to MA one released earlier (couplers, lighting) but strangely the MA one seems to have the better paint job. The Yuzuru is a bit out of era for me but it's a Tohoku train so that makes it ok. 

IMG_0974.thumb.JPG.d5bde77e5d32bd63f6bbf4ec1e95e008.JPG

22 hours ago, Khaul said:

The set comes with two red disks to indicate the end of the train. Is there a way to install them without using glue. There is quite a bit written in the box, but I don't read Japanese.

I glued mine on after trying to figure out if I was missing something. Make sure to leave the mounting bracket or else they won't be even on the end of the car. 

• Like 3

nah00, do those Kato 127's have both bogies powered? I know the recent 2 car release have had only one bogie powered and can't go up little inclines because they're so light.  Example would be the Kato Kiha25.

1 hour ago, serotta1972 said:

nah00, do those Kato 127's have both bogies powered? I know the recent 2 car release have had only one bogie powered and can't go up little inclines because they're so light.  Example would be the Kato Kiha25.

Nope they don't, I guess... Miyakomokei has made a video showing how to make the bogie 'stronger' by adding gears instead of the usual rubber padding... 

• Like 2

Hmm! I hope Kato don't carry on with that approach, dropping to a single power bogie is a big mistake IMO. Even their KuMoYuNis without traction tyres can haul two or three cars up a gradient thanks to having all wheels driven (and are very handy for giving a long EMU set a push for that reason).

• Thanks 1

I stopped buying Kato's 2 car set ever since they went with single powered bogie - I think it started with the 521's.  I have the older E127's and both bogies are driven.

5 minutes ago, serotta1972 said:

I stopped buying Kato's 2 car set ever since they went with single powered bogie - I think it started with the 521's.  I have the older E127's and both bogies are driven.

That’s interesting. I don’t have any two car sets, but I’ve been thinking of getting some for a change. What are the main problems with the single powered bogie Kato sets? What brand do you buy now instead? 

Single truck power is worse for one reason: tractive effort. It cuts the potential traction in half and greatly reduces the ability of the power car

• Thanks 1

The KATO E4 has a single powered bogie. It does not go slower than any of my other KATO shinkansens with 2 powered bogies, even on inclines.

• Like 2

It can be off-set with weight. If said Shinkansen is heavier than the other ones, then it will not have as great an impact.

It could also have "traction tires" on one of the driven wheels, which elimanates the entire issue.

• Like 1
On 12/16/2018 at 12:57 PM, serotta1972 said:

The E127-0 only has one powered bogie, I didn't check when I ran the ET127 but I assume it's the same. I was able to get it to up an incline with the power car was the car 'pushing', I didn't try it the other way.