What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Clear, I say CLEAR, decal paper! Took three tries trying both testors and micromark packages of clear decal paper (they both use the same paper just different packaging) to finally get clear! Micromark opened packages of clear until they found one with clear, not white, decal paper in it. Ups then proceeded to what looks like drive over the flat package a few times or use it as the door mat, but luckily the decal paper appears undamaged.

anyone want some white decal paper? I have a bunch now and happy to send a couple of quarter sheets to anyone who can use it. I rarely ever use white. Pm me if you want some.

jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Haha 3
41 minutes ago, Philphil said:

Box onnnnnnnne issssssssss: Curve track and my first ever Kato power pack!

20180314_113237.jpg

You got the old Kato power pack?

8 minutes ago, bill937ca said:

You got the old Kato power pack?

Maybe? Is the 22-014 the new power pack? I'm not savvy with Kato power packs, nor any power packs for that matter, since it's been at least eight years since I've bought one. :toothy11:

Is there a big difference between these Kato power packs, Bill? 

3 minutes ago, Philphil said:

Is there a big difference between these Kato power packs?

Version S is the older transistor throttle, while the recently released SX version uses pulse width modulation (pwm).  The new one keeps the lights at full brightness even at low speeds, and some models can have a lower starting speed.  The old one is still great and works just fine.

@Philphil Here is a comparison video that I made that shows the difference between the old KATO powerpack and the new KATO powerpack that @Kiha66 mentioned. If you want to have interior lighting, it is a huuuuge difference.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Yavianice @Kiha66 Oh wow, thank you guys for the information! That is quite a big difference! At the moment I don't have plans to put interior lighting into any of my trains, I'm more worried about if the headlights and rear end lights are on, more than anything else. But I do appreciate the video showing how they differ. Thank you!

• Like 1

Opened the second package, interestingly enough the customs documents seem to be incorrect... 

But it's Tobu time! One 50000-series set, one 50050-series, and an older 10030-series kit set which got pretty wrecked up in the mail... But that's okay, I always need a project! Plus all three sets came from the same seller, and they all had the original Microace/Greenmax couplers switched out for Kato EMU couplers (don't remember what they're called) so it saves me a lot of trouble! I'll post more pictures in a bit.

20180314_132037.jpg

20180314_132233.jpg

• Like 4
Fenway Park

Revolution Factory smoke deflectors for C56 111 arrived. Checked allocations and it was moved to Kyushu in 1974 to Yoshimatsu. Have the red numbers all ready. 

The empty version of the cage for the 9000 wood chip wagon also arrived. Easy replacement of the cage and there is a rolled up tarpaulin to be fixed on one end. 2 cages per packet but 4 tarpaulins, so two spare. 

Malcolm 

1 hour ago, Philphil said:

Maybe? Is the 22-014 the new power pack? I'm not savvy with Kato power packs, nor any power packs for that matter, since it's been at least eight years since I've bought one. :toothy11:

Is there a big difference between these Kato power packs, Bill? 

The SX power pack which apparently will become the standard keeps the lights on when trains stop. It also will allow better slow speed operation.  But beware of using the SX with DCC decoders.

3 hours ago, Yavianice said:

@Philphil Here is a comparison video that I made that shows the difference between the old KATO powerpack and the new KATO powerpack that @Kiha66 mentioned. If you want to have interior lighting, it is a huuuuge difference.

I also noticed, both in your video and with my own powerpack, that the Train's lighting is much more stable/flickerfree with the new SX than with the old Powerpack S for some reason, which is pretty nice. Only downside is some Tomix units being noisy, but I still have the older Powerpack S to use with them and thinking of getting a Tomix CL capable powerpack in addition to see how well those work.

Edited by Gryphr

Friends, I come to you heartbroken...

My local N Scale shop closed it's doors last night, permanently, and without warning. I was the last customer (picking up my EVA Shinkansen) :sad1:

Sadly this was the only N Scale Shop in the state, so it looks like I'll have to do a lot of my shopping online from now on. I don't blame the owner, though. He was getting up there in age and finally wanted to retire and travel around with his wife. But still very sad. It was nice to always have it as a resource if I needed something like track right away. But such is life... Maybe it's the universe telling me I spend too much... ;) 

• Sad 4
15 minutes ago, tt0880 said:

Friends, I come to you heartbroken...

My local N Scale shop closed it's doors last night, permanently, and without warning. I was the last customer (picking up my EVA Shinkansen) :sad1:

Sadly this was the only N Scale Shop in the state, so it looks like I'll have to do a lot of my shopping online from now on. I don't blame the owner, though. He was getting up there in age and finally wanted to retire and travel around with his wife. But still very sad. It was nice to always have it as a resource if I needed something like track right away. But such is life... Maybe it's the universe telling me I spend too much... ;) 

That is hard to hear.  Are there no other hobby shops that might have some stuff and be able to order for you even if they are not dedicated shops?   Luckily we have a dedicated train store in Salt Lake City (not exclusively N-scale) and a few others that have a few things so some items like track can be gotten as needed in a hurry.

Unfortunately retail now demands that stores either be chains or a megastore. We are down now to small chains of lhs or the mega shops that have large internet business as well like Klein’s and the like. Sad, but different times. It’s nice he has the savings from running a hobby shop to do some traveling and doing while still capable!

our local chain, hobby works has lost two leases around the dc area in the last six months and had to close the stores. Klein’s had to move way out when they lost their lease in downtown Baltimore, but st least now they have a lot of space and you can actually bend over on the store to look at something without knocking something over!

jeff

10 hours ago, Gryphr said:

I also noticed, both in your video and with my own powerpack, that the Train's lighting is much more stable/flickerfree with the new SX than with the old Powerpack S for some reason, which is pretty nice. Only downside is some Tomix units being noisy, but I still have the older Powerpack S to use with them and thinking of getting a Tomix CL capable powerpack in addition to see how well those work.

True. One of my Tomix E3's is very, very noisy with this powerpack at slow speeds even though it is practically silent with the standard KATO powerpack. All other Tomix trains (and other E3's) are silent however, so are european models. Performance with light bulbs (interior lighting) is not as great, either. But this is also stated on the instruction manual. Just tells me I should upgrade my older interior lighting.

Fenway Park

Just checked 415 - 100 too modern for my era as was introduced in 1978 and my cut off is 1975. 

Shame but the MA 421 series will have to soldier on .

Edited by Fenway Park
Additional word

Got a package from the UK today!  While it's still a Kato model, Junior has corrupted me into looking at more local prototypes...  

20180315_174950.thumb.jpg.c9f7045b049338838461b98424c33afc.jpg

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, serotta1972 said:

Glad I can be a good example. Have fun installing the detail parts. :)  How does it run?

It came almost completely new, all the parts are still sealed.  The running is very smooth but with a pretty realistic speed range, full 12 volts is probably only 80 mph or so, 6 is barely creeping.  The headlight is horribly orange, I plan to replace it when I add DCC to the locomotive.  Finally I have something to pull my few WP coaches!  But now I'm tempted to get some US freight cars too...

Box out the front of the house had a Kato EF510-0 and a Tomix Nippon Express 2 container pack in it.  Not bad for SAL since it was sent on the 3rd of March.

• Like 1

Had a very lucky day today. I was hoping to get the Kato green “Hato” Aodaisho set with the EF58 but had to wait for payday. It seems these have been far more popular than I had anticipated and most of the usual websites have already sold out. Tam Tam, Ami Ami and Stage 1 all seem to have sold through their stock. I had mentioned last month to my local hobby shop that I was waiting for this. I popped in today on the off chance he still had some left. Sadly his shelves only had one add-on set left, but when he saw me, he pulled out the whole set that he had reserved for me. My pigeon (no pun intended) Japanese is not good enough yet to place an order but he is an absolute gentleman and he has won my primary business. The shop is Fukaya in Yahata which I can’t recommend enough. Right, off to run it with a big grin on my face.

A8E36E1F-5A6F-4B5D-B322-D371DFC23B86.jpeg

• Like 14
4 minutes ago, katoftw said:

Did you loose one of your other 16 and feel naked without it? :grin

I wish I had 16, but I am halfway there already :toothy9:

• Haha 1