What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Not really into Totoro, but wouldn't mind a 1:150 Porco Rosso to slip into a cameo somewhere. Seems to be hard to find anime characters in N though.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Uh oh Gavin has gone down the totaro rabbit hole! Castle will Be next...

jeff

And Gavin will probably find Jeff there, eating sushi and running J trains.  :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

Not really into Totoro, but wouldn't mind a 1:150 Porco Rosso to slip into a cameo somewhere. Seems to be hard to find anime characters in N though.

I'd also like to get a Porco figure. If you do find any anime characters in N, could you post them in this thread below. 

2 hours ago, cteno4 said:

And building sankei kits!

jeff

This is my first Sankei kit. I hope I like it, because they have a ton of other models that I'd like the look of.

Edited by gavino200

Gavin,

you might want to buy one of the small cheaper kits to do as your first to get the hang of them. They are not difficult, but they take a little getting use to and laying out well as instructions are minimal. I’m glad I did as I learned the layered walls sometimes have sections almost exactly the same size but not quite and you don’t want to get them wrong or bad fits. Just don’t be discouraged if there are a couple of boo boos on your first one. But careful prefitting and alignment checks help a lot.

jeff

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Gavin,

you might want to buy one of the small cheaper kits to do as your first to get the hang of them. They are not difficult, but they take a little getting use to and laying out well as instructions are minimal. I’m glad I did as I learned the layered walls sometimes have sections almost exactly the same size but not quite and you don’t want to get them wrong or bad fits. Just don’t be discouraged if there are a couple of boo boos on your first one. But careful prefitting and alignment checks help a lot.

jeff

Yeah, I made some OO card kits with my dad when I was a kid. They were tricky, and that was with detailed English instructions. 

Your suggestion of starting with simpler sankei buildings would mean I'd have to buy some more buildings. That would be terrible!!! (Tee hee hee)

Edited by gavino200
On 30/12/2017 at 8:36 AM, bill937ca said:

Shikishima absence here too.

I ve done a few card kits from sankei,a couple you kindly sent me jeff if you remember? I found it s not the actual making them that’s dificult,it s just that they re so small and fiddly in N scale.😀😀

The larger structures have a few more assembly details to get right. They are a bit different than regular cardstock how they fit together with the tabs, slots, and notches they can do with the laser cutter and the stiffer laserboard. Detail bits and really small stuff do get fiddly to hold togherther while gluing, but that’s one aspect I doubt the hand surgeon will have issues with! 

The big big lesson I learned on the first one was to lightly write part numbers in pencil on the back sides of each piece and make sure of orientations of each piece. Instructions even on the larger kits are pretty minimal visual drawings and are good but on some points can take a second of head scratching to get it. Also you need to keep track of where you are in the build. Like I said it’s one of those things you get into the groove after doing one or two.

One of the Little house kits are good as they do all the basic construction steps/designs and not horrible if there is a screwup. The totoro kits are expensive and have a bit more detail in them so good to work up to one.

they are very addictive! There are a few good threads on the forum about construction of them and some good YouTube videos to help grok them. Also a few little jigs are handy like hair clip corner clamps. Tamya craft glue works well (basically a thick Pva) or Arleen’s tacky glue frommthe craft store as well. They have it in a pencil applicator like the tamya which is handy.

enjoy!

jeff

Yep good ones! Useful on the layout as well.

the vending machines and little detail bits are not difficult in their assembly other than what Paul mentioned in that they are tiny to move around, glue andnhold in place. But again your professional skills will help loads with this! 

These help a lot with these little bits.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-Reusable-Silicone-False-Eye-Lashes-Holder-Pad-Tray-for-Eyelashes-Extensions/282728162577?hash=item41d3e96511:m:mXdIlY3gGqheL78k7BXlg1g

The silicone will help hold a part down while you place a part on it to glue it. You can also tape down a strip of blue painters tape sticky side up to hold bits in place while you work on them. It’s a bit harder to move the parts on the tape, but that can be useful in some situations. As long as you down mash the laserboard part super hard into the tape it comes off the tape gracefully.

silicone pad also helps with small parts when trying to pick up with tweezers as the parts resist scooting away from the tweezer tips.

jeff

27 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Yep good ones! Useful on the layout as well.

the vending machines and little detail bits are not difficult in their assembly other than what Paul mentioned in that they are tiny to move around, glue andnhold in place. But again your professional skills will help loads with this! 

These help a lot with these little bits.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-Reusable-Silicone-False-Eye-Lashes-Holder-Pad-Tray-for-Eyelashes-Extensions/282728162577?hash=item41d3e96511:m:mXdIlY3gGqheL78k7BXlg1g

The silicone will help hold a part down while you place a part on it to glue it. You can also tape down a strip of blue painters tape sticky side up to hold bits in place while you work on them. It’s a bit harder to move the parts on the tape, but that can be useful in some situations. As long as you down mash the laserboard part super hard into the tape it comes off the tape gracefully.

silicone pad also helps with small parts when trying to pick up with tweezers as the parts resist scooting away from the tweezer tips.

jeff

Nice. I just ordered a couple. Thanks!

On 01/01/2018 at 9:29 PM, gavino200 said:

I just ordered these two to cut my teeth on.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10329629

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10282806

I also already have, but haven't assembled the vending machine set. I guess I'll start with that while I'm waiting for the others.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10140872

That's the angles building I brought 2 of to make a higher building. Not bad for my first attempt. I used a small dish of pva glue and a toothpick to apply glue. 

On 29/12/2017 at 3:52 AM, Welshbloke said:

And I just went down the Yamanote Line rabbit hole.

LOL, so have we. I've just ordered this after my son asked me repeatedly about it:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10296046

I'm hoping it arrives before his birthday.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, marknewton said:

LOL, so have we. I've just ordered this after my son asked me repeatedly about it:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10296046

I'm hoping it arrives before his birthday.

Cheers,

Mark.

Well, I already had the ten car Kato 103 Series and thought it would be a good theme for a collection. Turns out an eight car set of the 17m stock Kato made recently can pass for an earlier Yamanote service, so I'll look for another dummy KuMoHa 11/KuHa 16 to extend my six car unit. After I finish the E231 anyway!

9 hours ago, Drunkenclam said:

That's the angles building I brought 2 of to make a higher building. Not bad for my first attempt. I used a small dish of pva glue and a toothpick to apply glue. 

Happy new year clam,How was juniors first xmas? Hope it all went well.

have you got any pics of your kit bash?just intrested to see mate. I got myself a couple of the Outland models to kitbash,I ve done one but needed some acetate sheets for the windows which have arrived today so tomorrow’s ll finish it off and also I ll attempt the police station.Will post some pics once done.

paul

On 03/01/2018 at 7:04 PM, Pauljag900 said:

Happy new year clam,How was juniors first xmas? Hope it all went well.

have you got any pics of your kit bash?just intrested to see mate. I got myself a couple of the Outland models to kitbash,I ve done one but needed some acetate sheets for the windows which have arrived today so tomorrow’s ll finish it off and also I ll attempt the police station.Will post some pics once done.

paul

The kids are driving me mad. The young lady is too young to understand and my son is in a want want want stage, which he mighy grow out of when he gets a job. Plus I'm trying to modify my pachinko cabinet that in the same room as the layout. To give me more room.

My mistake. My building was a slighty different tapered one. But similar.

It's in this thread here....

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/12173-tapered-buildings/

Hi clam,

thanks mate.Looks pretty good to me,I was just curious to see a kitbash.

i had to do a bit of cutting and filing on the police station and fitting the lights was a bit of a nightmare as there were 6 in total.had to leave all the floor sections in for stability,but it turned out ok.

paul

So I managed to piss off the people at Ami Ami...

I placed an order some time between 1 and 2 weeks back, and stupidly added some Kato catenary poles that were on back order. After waiting those two weeks for the poles to arrive, I gave up hope, since I needed the rest of the items as soon as possible. So I emailed them to get it removed, and got a harshly worded email that basically said they would remove the catenary, but if I keep canceling things they'll restrict my account, or entirely deactivate it. Now I'm a bit concerned they'll deactivate it, or something.

Hooray!    :P

• Sad 1

There s plenty of other shops buddy,stuff em👍😂😂😂

all these big stores are the same,you would nt have got that from Nariichi at mtp or David at locco 1 hobby that’s for sure,both of those guys can t do enough to help and oblige👍👍

Edited by Pauljag900

I never looked closely at amiami policies, looks like they don’t like cancellations. The do allow order splits to handle things like this, but then there will be shipping for just poles. Hopefully if you don’t try more cancellations then it will all just go away. I think they hold a harsh line to not have thousands of cancellations that really could muck up a large operation. the bigger operations tend not to be able to give that more custom/personal service that the small shops can as Paul said — they Are more of an assembly line and harder to deal with custom stuff. Amiami also has about the lowest prices on a lot of things so with discounts to the bone they won’t be putting extra into customer service...

as Paul said at least there are alternatives if there are issues in the future.

Ive been surprised how well the hobbylink japan virtual warehouse has worked, allows a lot of flexibility in these situations. It does take extra staff time to deal with each shipping bundle you do, but makes it so I will pile up a number of odd things there from sales or just good price or odd inventory not instock elsewhere and then ship it in a bundle after a couple of months. Which reminds me I should start looking at shipping what has accumulated there.

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

Jeff is spot on here,the big guns do nt feel they have to be nice coz they ll sell the stuff no matter what.I would rather pay that little bit extra and support the little guy anyway.

I m at the stage where I have most of what I need in terms of the big stuff,Trains,track etc,but I bought nearly all of it from Nariichi.

If I see anything and he does nt have it I just email him and he gets it for me in a few days,somehow I do nt see ami ami or hobbysearch doing that for you.

In October I bought an ecig battery,a branded make for £70 from China,after few weeks the port where it charges fell out,I emailed them and recieved a reply saying please be patient we ll update you soon,7 emails and 4 months later and I m still waiting,the latest reply was yesterday.

When it broke obviously I needed a battery to use so I went to the local shop and bought one,4 weeks and the electronics went chips,I took it back and it was replaced instantly.Not train stuff,just an example of better service from the little guy.

paul

Really?  Of course they are gonna let you know they hate cancellations.  I had an issue with them once.  And years later thay have forgotten.

• Like 1

Technically not a new purchase, but I acquired this MicroAce ED75 in "Orient Saloon" livery a while back as it was cheap and I liked it and I didn't realize at the time was in a non-standard livery, and when I did had no urge to acquire an "Orient Saloon" set, happily it turns out these ED75s could also be seen hauling 3-coach 50 series rakes, as seen from about 10:35 in this video:

and happily I seem to have 3 50-series coaches so the layout can pretend to be the Ou Honsen in the early 1990s...

24669731457_708c709526.jpg

MicroAce ED75-711 with 50-series coaches by Rail Squid, on Flickr

(Yes I know the rake should have an ohafu at each end but I only have one of those...)

• Like 4