What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

I never knew that some of the tunnels on the system were so small. I was just assuming since there's probably catenary in those tunnels that the clearances were the same. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I do have to ask, do any of you weather your rolling stock? If so, do you have any pictures? 

Phil,

most japanese rolling stock is kept pretty clean and well kept, but some have a worn or at times dirty look. Freight can have more but still in general look not horrid most of the time. Search weathering on the forum and you find some of the folks that have done weathering to their stock in various ways.

jeff

Apparently, the Micro Ace 2 car prototype I ordered shipped with an interchangeable coupler that can be mounted on the front? Why would they include that? Did it ever run coupled with another Shinkansen or locomotive of some kind?

Das Steinkopf
23 hours ago, Philphil said:

I never knew that some of the tunnels on the system were so small. I was just assuming since there's probably catenary in those tunnels that the clearances were the same. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I do have to ask, do any of you weather your rolling stock? If so, do you have any pictures? 

The tunnels are normally fitted with a busbar that is fixed to the ceiling using insulators, this provides a far more sturdier construction that requires less maintenance when compared to catenary, not to mention the amount of headroom that is saved by using it.

With weathering freight stock I have a number of threads that I put up regarding it, JRF loco cleanliness can vary from pristine to downright grubby, with Koki’s new or recently refurbished stock can look fairly clean, other than that they do tend to get reasonably dirty especially with the older ones. I have seen Koki 104’s that you would swear are grey instead of blue they are that filthy, they do tend to wipe around the JRF logo and the car numbers so they can identify them.

Edited by Das Steinkopf

I ordered and received the powered rerailer from Proses Hobby, so I could just plop on the electric locomotives (especially steam trains with their many wheels) on there and run them directly on the track. But I discovered it's a bit too narrow for Shinkansens, because the metal walls are too high (about 5 mm) and the rerailer too narrow, so the body tends to scrape along the side which makes me feel very uncomfortable. So if anybody is thinking about buying the item, I would not do it (yet). Unless you only have European trains, then it's just wide enough. If it were not for the high walls, this is an excellent product. I already notified the producer and offered suggestions to change the product, and will report back when they have a new version of the item.

https://proses.com/prestashop/tools-testers-cradles-rolling-roads-/200-hooo-powered-railer-for-locos-coaches-and-wagons.html

In the picture below you can see from top to bottom:

Micro Ace Prototype Shinkansen

TOMIX EF210

Fleischmann Taurus (ÖBB)

placed on top of the rerailer. It's a bit hard to see, but the Shinkansen barely fits on it. The EF210 has more space, and the Taurus has no issue at all.

rerailer.PNG

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

I ordered and received the powered rerailer from Proses Hobby, so I could just plop on the electric locomotives (especially steam trains with their many wheels) on there and run them directly on the track. But I discovered it's a bit too narrow for Shinkansens, because the metal walls are too high (about 5 mm) and the rerailer too narrow, so the body tends to scrape along the side which makes me feel very uncomfortable. So if anybody is thinking about buying the item, I would not do it (yet). Unless you only have European trains, then it's just wide enough. If it were not for the high walls, this is an excellent product. I already notified the producer and offered suggestions to change the product, and will report back when they have a new version of the item.

Interesting product! I didn't know one existed! Such convenience! Thanks for the report!

Small size parcel arriving from HS, mainly my required tracks to complete the layout, and some Yamato containers... I do hope this is seriously not the start of yet another slippery slope!

20171028_140135.jpg

20171028_140141.jpg

20171028_140233.jpg

20171028_140311.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My bundle of old Kato coaches arrived today, including this KuHa 165 and MoHa 164 which I've already fitted with their upgraded couplers

One question though, the MoHa is missing its pantograph. I know I need a PS16 but I'm not sure which of the Kato variants fit. This is the very old type with the metal clip underneath to hold the pan up, and the fixings are a pair of pins exactly like the plastic pantographs Tomytecs come with. Anyone know the part number? Can't find a site with photos showing the fixings on the various types made now.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

One question though, the MoHa is missing its pantograph. I know I need a PS16 but I'm not sure which of the Kato variants fit. This is the very old type with the metal clip underneath to hold the pan up, and the fixings are a pair of pins exactly like the plastic pantographs Tomytecs come with. Anyone know the part number? Can't find a site with photos showing the fixings on the various types made now.

Do you have the model number of the car?

Or if not, the MoHa's running number might help to find out which model number this is and the associated part numbers.

Item number is presumably 420, running number is 164-52. I know they changed the pantograph for the final version of this tooling with the low roof as I have three of those as well, they have the mounting holes aligned transversely as opposed to longitudinally on this one. It's almost certainly the same part as on the MoHa 152.

My best guess for the pantograph is 11-404 but as I said I can't find a photo of one of them from underneath showing how it attaches to the coach.

On 2017. 10. 31. at 1:31 AM, JR 500系 said:

Interesting product! I didn't know one existed! Such convenience! Thanks for the report!

As an alternative, adding conductive self adhesive copper foil to a normal rerailer with the ends folded back so it could pick up power from the rails could also work. If you use a japanese plastic rerailer that has no sides, just flange grooves you are guaranteed to have no clearance issues.

• Like 2

good idea kvp as it can be tough to drag power chassis on with traction tires! got some copper tape sitting here, have to try it.

jeff

More freight arrived today...

Tomix 2769 Koki 106 - Got it from a small model shop in Kyoto.  Thought since Tomix are making addition Koki 106s, I better hunt down some older 106s to increase the numbers.

10014308a.jpg

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 5
My Ibusuki no Tamatebako from katoftw arrived. I love the coloring.
10037d2cffb6c4276728140daa6464b4.jpg
That is very interesting coloring. Reminds me of the old Star Trek episode with the race of people colored like that.

Anyway, what is the story behind this train? Where does it run in real life? And when?

Thanks,

Eric

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Das Steinkopf
12 hours ago, katoftw said:

More freight arrived today...

Tomix 2769 Koki 106 - Got it from a small model shop in Kyoto.  Thought since Tomix are making addition Koki 106s, I better hunt down some older 106s to increase the numbers.

10014308a.jpg

I hope you still have a Tomix 8703 handy, especially with the decal sheet with the alternate car numbers.

8 hours ago, Das Steinkopf said:

I hope you still have a Tomix 8703 handy, especially with the decal sheet with the alternate car numbers.

No I don't.  I realized I didn't need the tail light cars since nothing I have is Hokkaido related.  I just wanted a few 106s to throw into the many 107s I already have.  As that is what I saw as recently as current day freight operations on Tokaido/Sanyo Lines.

Still to chase down some 100s - 104s though for Kyushu regional current day freight operations.

Edited by katoftw
Das Steinkopf
2 hours ago, katoftw said:

No I don't.  I realized I didn't need the tail light cars since nothing I have is Hokkaido related.  I just wanted a few 106s to throw into the many 107s I already have.  As that is what I saw as recently as current day freight operations on Tokaido/Sanyo Lines.

Still to chase down some 100s - 104s though for Kyushu regional current day freight operations.

You forgot about Koki 105’s and Koki 110’s, mind you both types a relatively rare compared to other 100 Series variants, I have only seen the Koki 105’s once. Do you still have your Koki 50000’s, they may be in diminishing numbers but there is still a decent number of them around, I saw heaps of them at Shimonoseki. 

Edited by Das Steinkopf
On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:41 AM, Sascha said:

My Ibusuki no Tamatebako from katoftw arrived. I love the coloring.

Dang now I am getting really confused as to where to get my Ibusuki no Tamatebako... the 2-car set looks great and the box is much smaller than the 3-car regular bookcase ... plus the price for the 2-car set is much more friendly than the newer 3-car set...

A small parcel from Ami for expanding further the truck fleet:

20171031_124649.jpg

20171031_124656.jpg

20171031_124751.jpg

20171031_124856.jpg

20171031_125051.jpg

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Das Steinkopf said:

You forgot about Koki 105’s and Koki 110’s, mind you both types a relatively rare compared to other 100 Series variants, I have only seen the Koki 105’s once. Do you still have your Koki 50000’s, they may be in diminishing numbers but there is still a decent number of them around, I saw heaps of them at Shimonoseki. 

I thought JRF was supposed to scrap all the 50000s before the end of the year? Might be a case of over-ambition though and they weren't able to produce enough new koki to replace them.