What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Received 2 of my orders over the week:

Tomix 485 series, Sendai Unit A1/A2:

Case.thumb.jpg.33cf5fbb76cd0567ca9b962f797b55e5.jpg

CaseIn.thumb.jpg.185171e7a29a70abb099a0c00c9152dc.jpg

Train.thumb.jpg.d0e22d05be757ff64376396bfc1bbbf5.jpg

Some more headmarks for it so it can "run" different services, although it probably did not run most these, some of them were at least in the same rough area.

I love the illustrations they have, I wish train services having names and motives like this were more common around the world instead of just some numbers :)

TrainMarks.thumb.jpg.764a49d045a399ae2177892d4ef531d5.jpg

Lastly some more track and a second platform for my temporary setups, either to have a bigger stations with sidings or a train yard:

Tracks.thumb.jpg.79022e68725267435a721324c787be1e.jpg

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Gryphr said:

Some more headmarks for it so it can "run" different services, although it probably did not run most these, some of them were at least in the same rough area.

I love the illustrations they have, I wish train services having names and motives like this were more common around the world instead of just some numbers :)

TrainMarks.thumb.jpg.764a49d045a399ae2177892d4ef531d5.jpg

I think the Hibari (ひばり), Aizu (あいづ), Yamabato (やまばと), and Tazawa (たざわ) van be applied to this particular set. Maaaybe the Hitachi (ひたち), Inaho (いなほ), and Chōkai (鳥海) ones as well, but not too sure about that. Kamome (かもめ) however is out of the question.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Suica said:

I received some interior decal sheets for Kato from Densha.me Hong Kong. 

Pretty reasonably priced, I'd say.

How did you order from them? I'm interested in their E233 1000 details but I cant find a price and their etsy store seems to be empty.

6 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

How did you order from them? I'm interested in their E233 1000 details but I cant find a price and their etsy store seems to be empty.

Ah yeah, there's a Facebook Store, which is how I ordered them. Basically, just send them a message there.

(This was the first time I was glad I actually created that account many moons ago)

Other than that you could try to mail them: mantakeru[at]gmail.com

• Thanks 2

Thanks!  Wow, $65 usd seems crazy expensive, especially when they provide a free PNG version on the website.  Guess printing them myself will be the way to go.

11 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Thanks!  Wow, $65 usd seems crazy expensive, especially when they provide a free PNG version on the website.  Guess printing them myself will be the way to go.

It is HKD though. Like 8 USD, I guess.

21 minutes ago, Suica said:

It is HKD though. Like 8 USD, I guess.

Oops!  It did seem a little high!  Etsy just showed the dollar sign and made no other mention, so I didn't want to risk it.

A Tomix ED61, 'cos I've fallen down the Chuo Line historical rabbit hole and was browsing a book with lots of black and white pictures where I found a picture of one passing through Ogikubo in 1959, and coincidentally I needed to order some USB cables from Yodobashi Camera where it turns out I had about a locomotive's worth of points, so some poor soul is probably going to end up delivering it in the midst of what might be the worst typhoon since 1959 (though I won't complain if delivery is delayed a day or two).

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 2

Terrible photo, but I sniped a MA EF55 off Buyee for just £35 and it arrived today. I'm very happy with it though it is quite noisy. I say arrived, but I had to pay £13 customs at post office to pick it up. I don't object to the VAT, just the handling charge. I've since discovered I can change the invoice on Buyee so a C62 I've ordered will be disguised as a book...don't tell Her Maj! 

(Incidentally I found buying with Buyee very easy and simple and I have used them since. It's a lot more reasonable IF you buy on the 'lite' plan...)

20171021_185542.jpg

Edited by trainhoarder
  • Like 8
13 hours ago, railsquid said:

A Tomix ED61, 'cos I've fallen down the Chuo Line historical rabbit hole and was browsing a book with lots of black and white pictures where I found a picture of one passing through Ogikubo in 1959, and coincidentally I needed to order some USB cables from Yodobashi Camera where it turns out I had about a locomotive's worth of points, so some poor soul is probably going to end up delivering it in the midst of what might be the worst typhoon since 1959 (though I won't complain if delivery is delayed a day or two).

Eeeh, I'm on my way from Tokyo to Ibaraki through the typhoon. It's just a lot of rain (knocks on luxury car wood). WHAT CAN GO WRONG

• Like 1
15 hours ago, railsquid said:

Well here we go, just 15 hours after placing the order:

37798871386_cc509b6513_z.jpg

Tomix ED61 (cat. no. 9169) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Just very wet at the moment, typhoon on track to pass through in the early hours. As it's been raining pretty much non-stop for the last few days the ground is saturated, which should make things interesting from a flooding and landslide point of view...

• Like 4

My replacement Yamanote Line body arrived from Kato, printed the right way round this time.

DSC00231.thumb.JPG.3c3ac8a59ba62e0c1bc9364cfb8e52b2.JPG

DSC00232.thumb.JPG.7323105ccc2274b91dbf8019b38f99bc.JPG

Although shipping something so small seemed a waste of postage, so I added something else to the package.

A Yoon Sona pachi cel, which I have been after for years. Although that did increase the size and weight, just a little :D

DSC00233.thumb.JPG.3933e5c059e43717cc989d08206b8b74.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Now on the way home and ordered two more Tomix 50 series passenger coaches (OHa and OHaFu)... These should be the last ones for my local locomotive hauled passenger train. All trains are running on time, though we have a few evacuation warnings going off in the area where we live... Our little patch always gets spared of that nonsense though. :P

Starting to rain heavily here, I won't be surprised to wake to the mournful sound of the river flood warning sirens, in the meantime renovating this Kato 165 series with Chuo Line-friendly low roof, made in 1999 but the mouldings have the original 3-digit Kato product numbers on the undersides, not a bad model especially as it was dirt cheap, and has all the parts unused.

24002588728_20b29f389b_z.jpg
Kato 165 Series, front view by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Thought it ran fine out of the box, new wheelsets have much reduced the directional lighting flicker and look much better too.

24002588238_03e932bb31_z.jpg

Kato 165 Series old/new wheelsets by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 7

They were still using that tooling when I bought mine a year or three ago. Then the updated one came out so shortly after that I had to double check it was actually a new product!

Would quite like one of the new ones as they make the type with a MoHa 165 as opposed to a KuMoHa, but the new couplings don't match anything else I have and there are no parts to retrofit the slightly older style (11-703 type which I've standardised on). I know they made one of the same type years ago as it's still listed on Hobbysearch, so scouring ebay is my best bet.

Edited by Welshbloke
Wrong part number, now corrected.
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, railsquid said:

Starting to rain heavily here, I won't be surprised to wake to the mournful sound of the river flood warning sirens

Well it's 1am and I can hear them already... time to get some sleep...

Hi all,

A small parcel arrived allowing me to extend the 3-car kiha 260 starters set I bought in Japan to a more realistic 5 car unit.

260.JPG.7bbfbe2c28ed0b1db8d1df6fef296e73.JPG

• Like 6

Had a fun time over the long weekend in New Zealand (saturday to Monday)at a Model Railway Show in Hamilton. Its only just over an hour by car from our home and usually if its a 2 day show my friends and  I car pool home each day. Stayed at a Motel close to the show this year and it made for a more relaxing time. The venue is in the Hamilton Botanical Gardens , which are a huge tourist attraction along with visitors from others areas in New Zealand. Usually this means if it is sunny the show is well supported by visitors who are looking around the gardens as well. It was surprising to find that the overcast and showery conditions this year, still attracted very good numbers to the show. I purchased the following items this year. The Japanese wagons were $5ea .  DD13 with DCC for $60 ,  Log wagons as priced (I already have 12 which are slowly being converted into New Zealand Railway log wagons in TT scale) , Coaches were $20 for 3 (hard to come by now and when repainted to NZR colours will represent early coaches for our Railway), K2 set for $40 (lightly used), New bridge for $10 and girder bridges for $5ea 

20171024_165451 (1280x768).jpg

20171024_165607 (1280x768).jpg

20171024_165703 (1280x768).jpg

20171024_165826 (1280x768).jpg

20171024_165928 (1280x768).jpg

20171024_165950 (1280x768).jpg

20171024_170003 (1280x768).jpg

Edited by beakaboy
  • Like 8

Just got my first ever package from Japan, turned out to be MASSIVE, like, so much bigger than I was expecting it to be. I'd add some pictures of the unboxing, if only I knew how...

(Could anyone kindly tell me how to add pictures to these posts?)

26 minutes ago, Philphil said:

Just got my first ever package from Japan, turned out to be MASSIVE, like, so much bigger than I was expecting it to be. I'd add some pictures of the unboxing, if only I knew how...

(Could anyone kindly tell me how to add pictures to these posts?)

When writing (or editing) your post, there's a link to attach files below the input box. After the files you selected are finished uploading you'll see some little previews of the pictures there, when you click the "+" sign on them the picture will be added to your post at the current text cursor location.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:01 AM, railsquid said:

I find the ED61 particularly handsome, although I can't say precisely why.  I should be getting mine from Nariichi in a day or two, along with a bunch of OHA61's for it to haul.  I don't really care if that's not proto, as I just thought the combo would look good together.