What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

I doubt Tomix will be making stuff more 'dcc friendly' unless they come out with their own dcc system to be honest. But 'dcc friendly' can mean different things to different people anyway. For me, most Tomix trains are quite dcc friendly, because I can get decoders installed pretty quick :)

The_Ghan clicks "Like"

Martijn Meerts

Oh yeah, I tried looking at the 'like' for this thread, but the forum the thread is in has likes enabled, they just don't seem to work on this thread.. Why, I really don't know... One of those forum system mysteries :)

Martijn Meerts

Could be, it's turned into a monster thread, makes a Goji rampage look like something that wouldn't be out of place in Sesame Street :)

I notice it's been going since June 2009, perhaps this type of ongoing thread could be closed and started anew each year or after so many posts.

I got my World Kougei EF13 apart after finding instructions for the kit version on HS, the body is held on by four screws, and decoder installation took about ten minutes actual work. The mechanism runs a little noisy but smoothly so it might quieten down with running in, a bit dissapointing though that for the price and amount of other detail there aren't working headlights. The etched brass number plates make Kato's molded plastic ones look a little crude.

Martijn Meerts

I don't think any of my World Kougei kits actually come with lighting, but since they're all kits, it's just 1 extra step to install them.

That is, if I ever get around to building them ;)

I don't think any of my World Kougei kits actually come with lighting, but since they're all kits, it's just 1 extra step to install them.

That is, if I ever get around to building them ;)

I've got to find something to complain about. :grin As long as I'm paying $420 I'd have paid a few extra dollars for them to take that extra step for me.

Martijn Meerts

Yeah, you'd definitely expect them to come with lights :)

It's just as weird as the Modemo trams.. Some have lights, some don't.. And it's not just older or cheaper models that don't have lights, it seems completely random ;)

if you look at the price of brass models i don't expect them to come with lights to be honest.

Also these are custom kits made for you. You are paying for the assembly and painting of that kit by hand.

If you compare to greenmax for example

They have clearly defined ranges, The economy unpainted kit (mainly aimed at scratch building) The pre-colored kit aimed at scratch building and building the model at a lower price.

Then there is the completed model range (premium) this is a completed model with complete assembly and lighting. I'd like to note that the precolored kit for a x model is different to that same completed model of same train, interms of detail and the motor they use.

Some greenmax kits allow for lighting if you purchase the extras.

Guest JRF-1935

Another great order from Bob at BT_Trains !

Tomix 1977 Catalog

Tomix #2721, #2716, #2761, #2758, #2720, and #2793 -

Kato #2014 9600 Steam Loco

Thanks Bob

Martijn Meerts

Ordered 10 ESU servo's.. Sure, they're more expensive than several others (although, a good servo really isn't cheap), but they have various mounting brackets and screws optimized for turnout control. Not having to build my own is definitely worth the couple of Euros extra ;)

Morian Miner

Today was the most out-of-the-blue pickup for my Japan layout.  Had a table at a toy show (in Tucson) today.  See a table that has a few 2-unit Japanese passenger cars.  So, I ask if they have anything else.  They point me to a box of buildings - I end up walking out with 3 Kato office buildings, a convenience store, and a Kato apartment building.  There was a Shrine there alone with a box of Tomytec buildings.  Decided to leave those since the buildings seemed to need a lot of rework and I didn't think my layout was going to have enough space to accommodate them.  Have a feeling I might regret it later, but still think it was a good decision.

Martijn Meerts

Ordered about 300 dollars worth of Tomix track from Plaza Japan, so my father can build a (semi-temporary) layout using what Tomix track I already had plus the new stuff. He's not comfortable working on the flex track and servo controlled switches, so he gets bored during the day, not being able to work on, or run trains.. Should be 300 dollars well spent really :)

He's going to build a layout from the Tomix layout book, but using the Selectrix digital system instead of analog. Will still need to figure out the problem with the Tomix turnouts being controlled using the Selectrix system, and the Tomix double crossover is shorting out when a train runs over it, so I'll need to adjust that as well :)

Came from HSJ but inspected by AQIS/ Australia POST today:

Tomytec Police Headquarters

Tomytec 4-Car set (F3) Police car inside the pack.

When the parcel van guy came and knocked on the door I saw the package and wondering what is with the yellow tape? I am now going to watch Border Line Security to see if it's get on TV lol

My Hayato no Kaze (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10105422) came in yesterday, another beauty :)

Nice Martijn.

If I had one I would have to sleep with it !!!

Cheers

The_Ghan

i like x 2

i would sleep with it too. going to have an empty bed soon for 6 weeks hmmm........

i ordered the mpdemo odakyu as per new releases thread.

still waiting my graham farish loco turns out royal mail is the most useless mail service in the world .. my model took 8 days to go from the uk airport to sydney. its at the depot awaiting delivery to me so i will get monday i guess.

Martijn Meerts

I wouldn't sleep with it, it's too fragile =)

I love the color on it, always did like the deep blue color schemes. The dark blue DE10 for example is a beauty as well.

Claude_Dreyfus

Just picked up some more building kits for Kanjiyama, as well as a couple of tunnel mouths.

This will be my first venture into Sankei card buildings.

Martijn Meerts

My new D51-498 Orient Express just showed up, it looks SO much better than the older Kato-Roundhouse version.

Now I just need to lay down an oval to run it on...

Also, received a package with a lot of components for some circuit boards, and my Dremel versatip, a butane gas driven soldering iron which can also be used as a micro torch.. Time to go melt down some World Kougei kits =)