What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

17 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

I have a couple of spring drive Tomix locos, they're not bad runners. The trick is to coat the springs in lithium grease to minimise friction inside the guide tubes. Mine are a little bit louder than a modern loco but not annoyingly so.

That's what I did with all my older Tomix spring drives too. Took the whole mechanism apart, stripped all of the factory grease off of it (fun with a toothpick...) and then re-lubed the springs with white lithium grease (for $6 from an auto parts store you get enough for a lifetime). Some are still slightly more noisy than others though. 

Picked up my parcel from David at Loco 1 Hobby today. 

Well packed as usual, containing more Kato car carriers and two Tomix Koki 5500 as well as 3 boxes of PS13 pantographs for my Tomytec locos. 

Shame, this will be the last parcel and I sincerely hope that he gets his life back on track ASAP.

Malcolm

scotspensioner

Re Tomix spring drive locos,I've got a Tonic 92042 kiha-84,83 Furano Express which is quite noisy.Is it a spring driven model?

I've now discovered from a Google search that it is so that explains why!

Edited by scotspensioner
Spelling

I paid £3ish for a big tube of automotive lithium grease. It's intended as a drop in cartridge refill for a grease gun.

Given the quantities I need at a given time I tend to either use a cocktail stick or dunk the component in it (in the case of the spring drives which needed a good coating). Also used it on the worm drives in a grumpy EF81 which I gave the clean and relubricate treatment.

CHOO CHOO! What's that thing coming down the track?

Is it a painted train?

No, it's a painted plane!

Snagged a pair of ANA Boeing 777-300's for use on the layout. One is painted in the old Pokemon scheme, the last of ANA's Pokemon-themed jets, while the other is in the BB-8 Star Wars scheme.

One must also think about what the poor crew in the East-I D thought when they saw this thing coming their way!

20180815_173906.jpg

20180815_174137.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
10 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

The lone Danbo container figure I've seen for sane money arrived:

That's really neat, I want one!  Where did you find it?

(Sorry, this is going to be a multi-post, since I can only upload two pictures or 4mb at a time 😓)

And then...

Got a Greenmax Tobu 6-car modernized Isesaki Line 10000-series set.

Plus a Greenmax Tobu 4-car 10000-series set.

I was going to try an odd experiment to try and combine the two sets to try and make an unprototypical modernized 10-car Tobu 10000-series set by combining these two together. 

(BUT I FORGOT TO ORDER REPLACEMENT PANTOGRAPHS FOR THE FOUR CAR SET! Silly me...)

And then...

Got another 6-car Tobu 30000-series set to connect up to my orphaned 4-car sets, whose mate was... Um... "Destroyed" in quite a violent wreck which I was too embarrassed to post to the train wreck thread! 

20180815_175634.jpg

20180815_175707.jpg

• Like 2

And then...

Got another full 10-car Tobu 30000-series set, made by Greenmax.

And after that...

I got a sweet deal on eBay for a Nippon Cargo Airlines 747-800F, WHICH WAS JUST TOO TEMPTING!

Oddly enough, it's probably my favorite plane so far, not just because it's huge, but, personally, I'm pretty into the color scheme on it, and it's pretty bright too!

20180815_175657.jpg

20180815_175802.jpg

• Like 5

And then...........

Got an 8-car set of Tobu 8000-series cars. 7 of the cars are from Greenmax, one is Tomytec. Nothing too special there.

And finally...

(Not pictured)

Also got a 2-car Greenmax Tobu 8000-series prepainted kit, to make the 8-car set into a prototypical 8+2 set.

Plus some hoods for the doorways of the cars.

20180815_175726.jpg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Philphil said:

(Sorry, this is going to be a multi-post, since I can only upload two pictures or 4mb at a time 😓)

Really have to salute your commitment to Tobu rolling stock mate! Well done! 

Have you tried reducing the size of the photos to reduce the weight (size) of the photo file? Alternatively, you can use an external photo hosting site like imgur etc. and then link the photo to your post here in the forums ~

3 hours ago, Philphil said:

And then...........

Got an 8-car set of Tobu 8000-series cars. 7 of the cars are from Greenmax, one is Tomytec. Nothing too special there.

And finally...

(Not pictured)

Also got a 2-car Greenmax Tobu 8000-series prepainted kit, to make the 8-car set into a prototypical 8+2 set.

Plus some hoods for the doorways of the cars.

20180815_175726.jpg

Interesting, 7 from GreenMax and 1 from Tomytec? I don't recall seeing a 7car set release from GreenMax nor a 1 car from Tomytec, was it put together to be sold, and what's that tissue in the box? Apologizes for the intrusiveness, just curious~  😛

Something contrasting with my Green Valley, it's such a cool feeling color.  A couple more Kumoyunis for the collection.IMG_4771.thumb.jpeg.5fdf895bb4de46abe776ffa018669341.jpegIMG_4772.thumb.jpeg.cfca723346e7a729899351fa64984566.jpeg 

Edited by serotta1972
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, serotta1972 said:

Something contrasting with my Green Valley, it's such a cool feeling color.  A couple more Kumoyunis for the collection.

ooooh, those look really nice!  I've been wanting one but I didnt have the spare cash when they were released, the look like very nice models!  And you can run them with your 115s too so the kumoni's can also run with shonan 115s.

• Like 1

Unfortunately it has the new Kato Shibata couplers so it would only be compatible with only one other Kato set I have.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

That's really neat, I want one!  Where did you find it?

Ebay, but they're not easy to find. There was a set of all six on offer for about £33 but that was more than I really wanted to spend on novelty items, so when I found this one for just under £6 I grabbed it. Try searching Danbo Container for the six. They're branded as Takara Tomy and found in Gachapon machines, so those search terms might work too.

• Thanks 1

I got home from Japan last weekend, with heavy bags and a light wallet. Got a great deal on the Sayonara Akatsuki/Naha set from the Akiba Popondetta, at 25k. As far as I can tell the only defects are that the EF81 and ED76 seemed to be really gunked up and took a lot of power to move when I tested them in store. The EF66 ran perfectly, and all the extra detail parts were still present and in their bags, along with the instruction booklet.

IMAG2425r.jpg.442d0dfd8f50f4f54817294f0e2033d2.jpgIMAG2426r.jpg.c5eba1e041f15b350e6be3a9de856533.jpg

I also came across the two car and one car Girls und Panzer sets I was missing, so now I have all of them along with the buses (not pictured). The two sets I was missed came in at an eyewatering 15k and 11.5k yen each.

IMAG3506r.jpg.dfd7e894c6eaec5d87161fa6cbc168b5.jpg

Lastly, but unfortunately I haven't had time to photograph it, I picked up two TomyTec Akita Nairiku line cars from the Akita Nairiku gift shop at Kakunodate after riding the length of the line from Takanosu. If you ever have the chance, that's one of the most beautiful rail lines I've had the opportunity to ride.

• Like 8
12 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Really have to salute your commitment to Tobu rolling stock mate! Well done! 

Have you tried reducing the size of the photos to reduce the weight (size) of the photo file? Alternatively, you can use an external photo hosting site like imgur etc. and then link the photo to your post here in the forums ~

Interesting, 7 from GreenMax and 1 from Tomytec? I don't recall seeing a 7car set release from GreenMax nor a 1 car from Tomytec, was it put together to be sold, and what's that tissue in the box? Apologizes for the intrusiveness, just curious~  😛

Honestly, I think this is about the last of the Tobu rolling stock for awhile, maybe forever? Don't really know yet. There's one or two odd, hard to find sets I'd still like, but I haven't seen a renewed Tobu 9000-series set up for sale for awhile (not that I've checked.)

I'll see what I can do about reducing the size of photos on my phone, though I'm not sure if there's a good way, but I'll try! I've never been the best at all this tech stuff.

As for the 8000-series set, it was picked up as a junk set, it sat on Yahoo Auctions for about $40 USD for like a month, getting relisted many times with no takers, so after awhile, I decided to buy it. Even if I could only scrap it for parts, it would be helpful. It looks lile someone combined at least two different Greenmax sets, plus the Tomytec pantograph car together to get the full eight cars. Not what I was expecting, honestly, but it works well enough for now!

The tissues in the box were used for packing material, since the slots in the box were too long, and the seller didn't want the trains smashing around in transit. 

Hope that answers all your questions!😉

• Thanks 1
On 8/16/2018 at 10:18 AM, dgreen787 said:

I also came across the two car and one car Girls und Panzer sets I was missing, so now I have all of them along with the buses (not pictured). The two sets I was missed came in at an eyewatering 15k and 11.5k yen each.

IMAG3506r.jpg.dfd7e894c6eaec5d87161fa6cbc168b5.jpg

Surprised the two car set cost more than the single car one, it seems to be much more scarce. I lucked out on that one asking Nariichi-san at MTP if he could get one shortly after it came out and luckily he still had one in stock in the store with the motor. I wish they had on/off switches for the lights instead of having to yank the lightboards out though. 

On 8/15/2018 at 4:46 PM, Philphil said:

CHOO CHOO! What's that thing coming down the track?

Is it a painted train?

No, it's a painted plane!

Snagged a pair of ANA Boeing 777-300's for use on the layout. One is painted in the old Pokemon scheme, the last of ANA's Pokemon-themed jets, while the other is in the BB-8 Star Wars scheme.

One must also think about what the poor crew in the East-I D thought when they saw this thing coming their way!

20180815_173906.jpg

20180815_174137.jpg

Are these 1/144 or 1/150? 1/150 planes seem hard to come by. I suppose 144 wouldn't be too far out of scale 

1 hour ago, Ultratram said:

Are these 1/144 or 1/150? 1/150 planes seem hard to come by. I suppose 144 wouldn't be too far out of scale 

46 minutes ago, katoftw said:

I think there was mention of 1/200 in an earlier post.

Katoftw is actually correct, the planes I have are actually 1/200 scale, so a bit too small for N-Scale, but with the larger aircraft it's not as noticeable because they're still so big. Originally I had hoped to find something closer to scale, like 1:144 or 1:150, but the models for those scales were mostly plastic, unpainted kits, and stuff like that. A majority of the 1/200 scale stuff is solid metal, diecast, and pre-painted for many airlines, including Japanese carriers, which I guess I like because I'm so lazy! 😅

• Like 2
On 8/17/2018 at 8:27 PM, Philphil said:

Katoftw is actually correct, the planes I have are actually 1/200 scale, so a bit too small for N-Scale, but with the larger aircraft it's not as noticeable because they're still so big. Originally I had hoped to find something closer to scale, like 1:144 or 1:150, but the models for those scales were mostly plastic, unpainted kits, and stuff like that. A majority of the 1/200 scale stuff is solid metal, diecast, and pre-painted for many airlines, including Japanese carriers, which I guess I like because I'm so lazy! 😅

I was looking at some of the 1/144 F-toys aircraft. I may get a few of the helicopters and see how they look on a layout. Those require some assembly but are prepainted.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ultratram said:

I was looking at some of the 1/144 F-toys aircraft. I may get a few of the helicopters and see how they look on a layout. Those require some assembly but are prepainted.

They look great and certainly in scale with the rest of the N scale diorama:

20180514_212532.jpg

• Like 4