What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

15 hours ago, bill937ca said:

The original 21000 Urban Liners were equipped to be run as two car trains during quiet times.  A six car train could be split into two two-car trains with two spare intermediate cars. The trains proved popular and this feature was not repeated in subsequent orders from 1988.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/近鉄21000系電車

Thanks for that extensive information on the wiki link! Very interesting indeed!

I only spotted two videos on youtube with the driving cab in between cars being used as a driving cab with the train still in service... 

Both seems to be chartered trains only...  貸切列車

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 6

61F2B1F5-09D1-4522-9939-BB763CDA90B5.thumb.jpeg.7356e9bc29991bf1bb390292bf71e6aa.jpeg

So last sunday was Father’s Day and this Sunday is my birthday,so a combined effort from my family was this order from Nariichi,beautifully packed as usual👍😀

• Like 14
1 hour ago, railsquid said:

Kato 115-2000 series in Minobu line livery:

28052237247_47c55a46cc_z.jpg

Kato 115-2000 Series (Minobu Line) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Got that one, looks good with the matching KuMoYuNi 143 Tomytec released a couple of years ago. Do wonder if Kato will revisit it as they've just tooled up the very similar KuMoYuNi 147 and have made quite a few variants of 115 Series recently...

Ordered another Kato engine shed for kitbashing. Planning the old trick of combining two of them to make one long shed, as I already had another and recently bought some of the pit tracks they offer. I'll get hold of some thin plastic to go under the whole lot and make it a ready-to-use building for table layouts.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Welshbloke said:

Ordered another Kato engine shed for kitbashing. Planning the old trick of combining two of them to make one long shed, as I already had another and recently bought some of the pit tracks they offer. I'll get hold of some thin plastic to go under the whole lot and make it a ready-to-use building for table layouts.

They actually nestle flush up against each other without any mods!

jeff

On 6/19/2018 at 3:12 PM, JR 500系 said:

Strange that the Kintetsu Urban Liner has 2 additional driving cabins in a 6-car train... I wonder why....

On 6/19/2018 at 7:31 PM, bill937ca said:

The original 21000 Urban Liners were equipped to be run as two car trains during quiet times.  A six car train could be split into two two-car trains with two spare intermediate cars. The trains proved popular and this feature was not repeated in subsequent orders from 1988.

A few pictures of this in use can be found, often coupled to other trainsets:
https://plaza.rakuten.co.jp/naochans117955/diary/201706220000/
http://rail.hobidas.com/rmn/archives/2015/04/210004.html
https://2nd-train.net/topics/article/13312/

Edited by Gryphr
  • Like 1
serotta1972
16 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Thanks for that extensive information on the wiki link! Very interesting indeed!

I only spotted two videos on youtube with the driving cab in between cars being used as a driving cab with the train still in service... 

It looks kinda funny to me.  I don't think I would run that way.

10 hours ago, cteno4 said:

They actually nestle flush up against each other without any mods!

jeff

Yep, but to me they always end up looking like two buildings pushed together rather than a single structure. I'm planning a little bit of trimming and gluing to make them into a single unit. Also means they'll be a couple of millimetres shorter than the track I have to go inside them, which is good for table layouts.

A few more coaches arrived this week.

I ummed and ahhed about the re-release of the OE 1988 formation and I had only a mild interest in the train at best. I’m so glad I went for it as those CIWL coaches have been recreated beautifully by Kato. The twin lion logo is a raised detail which adds extra depth to the model and the window details are stunning. Also a nice booklet included with some interesting photos of the various locos pulling the train around Japan. The best part was no premium price tag. It was the same price as other Kato coach sets unlike some of the recent Cruise train releases and announcements.

I also grabbed the 24 series Seto/Asakaze JR formation blue train. It’s was the SuHa 25 300 that swung it for me although yes I could’ve just got the assy parts and built one separately. 

I’m a real stickler for these Kato sleepers despite them all being relatively similar. Perhaps it’s the need,  being heavily invested in them already, to collect them all or perhaps the ability to protypically change locos over at various intervals. Gotta love those sleepers.

I now have:

24 series Seto/Asakaze

24 series Deluxe Hokutosei

24 series Nihonkai

E26 Cassiopeia

24 series Fuji

24 series Twilight Express

14 series Noto (JR version)

20 series Sakura (Nagasaki/Sasebo formation)

20 series Sakura

10 series Taisetsu

Just hoping there’ll be a release of the Akebono again at some point.

Just waiting for the weekend to give them a proper run.

88725874-9441-48DE-9897-265A6C803433.jpeg

8BDB02D5-7718-4922-8D68-95A7D2E85F2D.jpeg

26C7F2FF-42E7-45F3-B1CA-A93A580C6653.jpeg

• Like 11
On 6/19/2018 at 4:36 PM, chadbag said:

Without a photo of the insides of the greenMax box, it is only a rumor...

Not a rumor!

jeff

5BA76999-91F3-40BF-B524-68BF64696723.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
45 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Not a rumor!

jeff

Maybe it's a stock picture taken from HS and edited?  😛 

14 hours ago, Kamome said:

I now have:

24 series Seto/Asakaze

24 series Deluxe Hokutosei

24 series Nihonkai

E26 Cassiopeia

24 series Fuji

24 series Twilight Express

14 series Noto (JR version)

20 series Sakura (Nagasaki/Sasebo formation)

20 series Sakura

10 series Taisetsu

26C7F2FF-42E7-45F3-B1CA-A93A580C6653.jpeg

Wow your fleet of coaches SURE are amazing! Very nice! 

Yeah I saw on the 24 series Seto and is pretty interesting... especially more so when the interiors are actually made in berths! 

What's with the SuHa-25 300? I was wondering why there would be a pantograph on a coach car... 

scotspensioner
3 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Maybe it's a stock picture taken from HS and edited?  😛 

Wow your fleet of coaches SURE are amazing! Very nice! 

Yeah I saw on the 24 series Seto and is pretty interesting... especially more so when the interiors are actually made in berths! 

What's with the SuHa-25 300? I was wondering why there would be a pantograph on a coach car... 

The SuHa-25-300 was fitted with an electric current invertorr to supply the train heating and lighting using the overhead power supply.This was instead of the more usual diesel generator / baggage coach coupled at one end as in the Hokutusei for example.The voltage  between Tokyo and Shimonoseki was the same throughout making it a straightforward feed

The set was previously issued in 2005 as a 9 coach Farewell Asakaze set with an EF 66 loco included .I picked one up recently on eBay in the UK

Edited by scotspensioner
Additional details
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, scotspensioner said:

The set was previously issued in 2005 as a 9 coach Farewell Asakaze set with an EF 66 loco included 

This is where my initial interest came from so I was glad when Kato announced another version. I have an older 20 series Sakura service with a KaNi 22 with pantographs. Not sure why they moved away from this way of powering the train apart from the obvious unelectrified sections on some routes. My later 20 series Sakura (Nagasaki/Sasebo formation) had the pantographs removed from the KaNi 22 but the respective insulators remain.

F1283275-1163-447A-AD24-AC7291A4792D.jpeg

• Like 1
scotspensioner

I suspect that while the Asakaze vehicle was satisfactory,it was working on 1500v DC.Other routes would have had 20kv going through the pantographs  with the need for high voltage transformers and feeding that into a vehicle with close connection to the public was a factor

Incidentally many (50) of the Asakaze coaches went to Thailand as a gift(!) where they were fitted with underfloor generator sets.

If I hadn't got the 2005 set (10-249),I probably wouldn't have investigated it myself!

Up to four or five years ago,I knew virtually nothing about Japan,never mind the railways(obviously other than the Shinkansen!).

The Internet has a lot to answer for!!!

Edited by scotspensioner
  • Like 2
14 hours ago, Suica said:

MicroAce Keihan Elegant Saloon 8000 Series

Big thanks to Sammy for this one!

No worries buddy, big thanks to you! I am glad you like the train! It really is pretty elegant, and the yellow and red grows on you... That was the main reason why I got it in the first place despite having zero Keihan stock and not wanting to start at it...   😛

On 6/20/2018 at 7:19 PM, JR 500系 said:

Some Tomix info on the actual upcoming model.

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/report/n/nj_220.htm

58 minutes ago, katoftw said:

Some Tomix info on the actual upcoming model.

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/report/n/nj_220.htm

AAhhh now that I finally see more information on it, I am glad I made the right decision to cancel it... 

The price point is the major factor, being so much more expensive, despite it being a new mould and all. The Kato does the same Urban Liner (refer to a few posts ahead when I got mine from a good friend) with the connecting cab cars and all without the light up function, which I expected Tomix to do it being so expensive and all... The Kato even comes with closer couplers and interior lighting all fitted in. 

Further, the basic set does NOT even have the Urban Liner Plus logo, which is the new thing. You need to get both the basic and the add-on, and then you discover getting the limited set is much better with the TN already installed.... 

Haven't posted in a while, on account of the fact that I vowed to my girlfriend I wouldn't make any big purchases in the lead up to our trip to Germany (which is next week!!!!). 

I may have broken that promise... 😉 Don't tell her! 

IMG_20180623_125009692.thumb.jpg.bfb7034cd20960dff3e05d9c0dbe04ce.jpg

Got a rather nice haul from the amazing store Modeltrainsplus... Got a ton of amazing buildings and a Kato Tetsudo 6000 series for a great price. I'm particulary excited for the farm field set and the farm house, because I think I'm going to fill a large barren corner of my layout with a farm. I already have a lot of ideas in my head that I'm excited to put to use.

P.S.  Ignore my super messy work desk! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

A few kato seko 3000s showed up today.  Got an amazing deal but 34 of them are missing the brake wheel.  I'll have to contact model train plus and see if he can order me some from the upcoming re-release.

20180624_160900.thumb.jpg.11857e92b860a198a6289951106f7686.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
20 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

A few kato seko 3000s showed up today.  Got an amazing deal but 34 of them are missing the brake wheel.  I'll have to contact model train plus and see if he can order me some from the upcoming re-release.

That is an amazingly long train!!