What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Das Steinkopf
4 minutes ago, ia909 said:

I have both the items you've just received and to my eye at least the quality of the Greenmax containers is on a par with say Tomix and Kato but not quite as good as Platz, Hogarakadou or Aoshima. I use the Greenmax containers in an industrial setting where I think the containers are more likely to be seen open for loading and unloading than in the JRF container yard or loaded onto KoKi's. That said, they have had a run round the layout without problem.  

I have the JFE and 50th Anniversary of Container Service versions of the Greenmax containers and I will use them pretty much the same way as you will be, the only thing I don't like about them is that they have the same numbers, mind you that is not that hard to change. 

30 minutes ago, ia909 said:

I agree with you entirely that the production tolerances vary often from batch to batch even within the same manufacturer. I'm lucky enough to have over 300 containers and 60 KoKi 100 -107's and, for example, some Kato containers don't fit the Kato 106's as well as they do the Tomix 107's. My paws sometimes struggle lining-up the little mounting tabs but once that's done then generally things are OK.

Nice to see another forum member that has a JRF fetish with it's associated Koki and container addiction.

33 minutes ago, ia909 said:

As an aside, I have a Morita unassembled kit of a UT20A and I must have missed the bit that said it was metal castings when ordering. Anyone any experience in building these?

Ian

Likewise I have a UT20A to assemble but have been too busy with other things to build it, with the main body parts with the whitemetal I would recommend  using Epoxy Resin such as Araldite to glue them together, with the smaller components and etchings I would use Super Glue. 

On 9.4.2018 at 8:49 PM, defor said:

.Slowly growing my freight fleet. Next up- more Koki and containers!

No no no no no no, you need some more EH500s first! :toothy12:

• Haha 2
55 minutes ago, EH500 (8) said:

No no no no no no, you need some more EH500s first! :toothy12:

Considering I started collecting a month ago and have 2 now, with my accumulation rate, I think you're the one who needs up their game! :thumbsup:

• Confused 1
2 hours ago, defor said:

Considering I started collecting a month ago and have 2 now, with my accumulation rate, I think you're the one who needs up their game! :thumbsup:

Well now I have to pray for a reasonably priced EH500 to show up on ebay! :toothy12:

Edited by EH500 (8)
  • Haha 1

It seems being in a land with very limited internet access didnt stop me from buying more trains.... 

Just "won" a Kiha200 HTB colour 2-car set with motor at only 6000yen... no one else bidded and i just threw in a sniper bid for fun and boom! 

Along with that, a Kiha220-200 Red Rapid 2-car set which is the one i have been looking for a really long time... 

And another Kiha220 Seaside Liner wihtout motor 1car set... didnt care much about the motor for this one since i will hook it up with the Kiha200 seaside liner of the Kiha200 or Kiha66/67 HTB set...

Expensive nonetheless... but finally got my Kiha 220s!! Guess i reached the point i have most trains i want and just waiting for pre-orders... *hopefully*....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
21 hours ago, Das Steinkopf said:

I have the JFE and 50th Anniversary of Container Service versions of the Greenmax containers and I will use them pretty much the same way as you will be, the only thing I don't like about them is that they have the same numbers, mind you that is not that hard to change. 

Nice to see another forum member that has a JRF fetish with it's associated Koki and container addiction.

Likewise I have a UT20A to assemble but have been too busy with other things to build it, with the main body parts with the whitemetal I would recommend  using Epoxy Resin such as Araldite to glue them together, with the smaller components and etchings I would use Super Glue. 

Araldite and super glue it is then. Thank you for the advice.

scotspensioner

I spotted a Kato 10-158 165 Panorama Express Alps last week at a very reasonable price,so it was bought and arrived a couple of days later

I've ventured into E bay and I'm waiting for a10-547 N700 which was on offer from a local vendor which surprised me to say the least.Also a Kato 10-249 Goodbye Express Train Asaka which appears to have been released in 2005 on withdrawal of the train.(9 coach series 24 blue train sleeper complete with EF66 locomotive!)

Again very reasonable price

I must slow down or lock the Tablet away!

Edited by scotspensioner
Correction

Picked up some more catenary poles and small stuff like that. Though I do need to place two big track + etc orders later today. 

Well... I guess I'm going to buy more subway trains, too! Especially when Zenmarket has shipping prices AND shipping options like this!

Gosh, it's just amazing when you compare this shipping to Buyee's shipping!

Screenshot_20180411-092258.png

1 hour ago, Philphil said:

Picked up some more catenary poles and small stuff like that. Though I do need to place two big track + etc orders later today. 

Well... I guess I'm going to buy more subway trains, too! Especially when Zenmarket has shipping prices AND shipping options like this!

Gosh, it's just amazing when you compare this shipping to Buyee's shipping!

Screenshot_20180411-092258.png

I would note that the DHL is cheaper than EMS in the list you gave, and is faster and probably better service.

56 minutes ago, chadbag said:

I would note that the DHL is cheaper than EMS in the list you gave, and is faster and probably better service.

Oh gosh yes! I love using DHL, since they don't go and just randomly lose my packages like USPS did with my EMS packages, plus DHL is very fast! 

This is the quote for a 2,300+ g package, too, Buyee would have charged out the wazoo for something of this size...

Yeah I noticed their shipping was reasonable when I did some test lookups.  I have not actually used them yet as the things I want are listed too high on Yahoo auctions (and not selling either).

I'm considering giving Zenmarket a go even though I've been a customer of Buyee/Tenso for over 4 years now, mostly because EMS is great, but USPS is unreliable- What's the benefit of DHL over FedEx?

1 minute ago, defor said:

I'm considering giving Zenmarket a go even though I've been a customer of Buyee/Tenso for over 4 years now, mostly because EMS is great, but USPS is unreliable- What's the benefit of DHL over FedEx?

DHL is fast. At least when Amazon uses it.  I get a notification on Monday that Amazon has passed it to DHL.   Wednesday the DHL guy drops it off.   I have not tried Fedex from Japan.

1 hour ago, defor said:

I'm in the same boat as chadbag, DHL is pretty darn fast from Amazon Japan, plus they call you earlier in the week to tell you when your package will arrive. I've actually had one or two come the day before DHL told me it was going to arrive, which was cool! I haven't ever used Fedex from Japan, but one of these days I'll give it a try.

Guess we'll find out how fast DHL is from Zenmarket, and if it's as fast as an Amazon package!

USPS is just too sloppy for me to risk a highly expensive package like what I have on the way (over 75,000 Yen :puke:) so I just can't risk it this time.

10 minutes ago, Philphil said:

I'm in the same boat as chadbag, DHL is pretty darn fast from Amazon Japan

1 hour ago, chadbag said:

DHL is fast. At least when Amazon uses it. 

Ok I was confused by this "DHL from Amazon Japan"-

I guess this is referring to the limited goods that Amazon is actually willing to ship direct to the USA?

51 minutes ago, defor said:

Ok I was confused by this "DHL from Amazon Japan"-

I guess this is referring to the limited goods that Amazon is actually willing to ship direct to the USA?

Amazon will actually ship a lot of stuff to the US.  Most any train stuff that Amazon itself is the seller of, they will ship to the US, though sometimes a new product takes a week or so before it becomes available for international shipping, as each new product has to pass a customs control board (internal Amazon thing, not a governmental thing, and the name is what I am calling it -- don't know what Amazon calls it) to make sure that it does not run afoul of any customs laws.  (I contacted Amazon.co.jp customer service about a new train set that was not allowing me to designate a US shipment address and they explained what has to happen and after a week or so it did become shippable to the US).

In fact, most of my Japanese train stuff has come from Amazon.co.jp, with most of it shipping directly to me.   A few things, mostly older items no longer current items shippable from the makers, I bought from Amazon marketplace sellers and shipped them to my MIL or SIL in Japan and they sent them to me.  But the DHL guy knows my place well from all the Amazon things from Japan.  I've had a small number of orders from HS and one from Ami Ami and one from Model Trains Plus and a couple small ones from misc eBay sellers who ship from Japan (like Japan Plaza).  A small number of items came from eBay sellers in the US.  Most of my eBay has been German trains though.  But most of my Japanese stuff I have came from Amazon.co.jp.

When looking on Amazon you can usually filter by "shippable internationally" on the left side filters.  As long as it is sold by Amazon itself the DHL option is how it will be shipped, and usually for less than the same stuff would be from someone else SAL.  Some of the marketplace sellers will ship internationally on Amazon, but the shipping is usually horrendous and you are better ordering directly from them as they are the usual customers that also run their own shops.

Yes amazon.jp does Dhl for stuff that can be shipped to the us and it’s wicked fast, fastest package I’ve ever had in 2 days from Order to delivery! I’ve had a few other Japanese shipments non amazon come Dhl and they seem maybe a day longer than amazon but not a gob of data points. I would guess amazon is designed around going right onto a plane. 

Jeff

10 hours ago, chadbag said:

It has to do with the way DHL ships packages. They go off of volume (to a degree), not weight like EMS. It makes sense from their standpoint since packages have to fit in a standard size container to get loaded on their lane and that container is definitely going to run out of volume before it gets too heavy. Fedex is similar, standard size boxes get fit into standard size containers. EMS is just kind of 'well jam it in until it's full' plus there's a lot more handling involved by the post offices on both ends whereas with DHL and Fedex it doesn't change hands. 

• Thanks 1
On 10/04/2018 at 12:40 PM, ia909 said:

As an aside, I have a Morita unassembled kit of a UT20A and I must have missed the bit that said it was metal castings when ordering. Anyone any experience in building these?

Ian

See if you can get hold of the "Powerflex" superglue. It has rubber in the mixture so it's not as brittle after it hardens. Does seem to work, I have very few problems with it as long as the joint was good in the first place.

So apparently Zenmarket shipped the package earlier today (4/12), and DHL called me earlier to say it's in customs in Cincinnati now, and going to arrive tomorrow... I can't say I believe this is going to happen...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Philphil said:

So apparently Zenmarket shipped the package earlier today (4/12), and DHL called me earlier to say it's in customs in Cincinnati now, and going to arrive tomorrow... I can't say I believe this is going to happen...

They actually call you?  They only ever send me a million texts and emails. 

large.IMG_20180412_164829509.jpg.730b2ac593020606afff13c614f07475.jpg

Pretty decent haul today. Best part? They all came from sellers within the country. All of this stuff came out to less than $100 on eBay, and arrived within the week. I'm very pleased with my purchases! The GreenMax sign kit looks like a total pain in the butt of attaching many little stickers, but I probably don't need all of them... Just good to have ones available that I need :) 

The Tomix train down there was a nifty little thing to pick up. It came in a bundle with some of the other items, and I paid $60 for the whole bundle, so it was a decently cheap train to boot.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, chadbag said:

They actually call you?  They only ever send me a million texts and emails. 

Oh yeah, it's not always very consistent, but with an Amazon order last month, they were supposed to drop things off on three consecutive days, so I got A BUNCH of phone calls from them that week, not much in the way of other types of notifications from them through.