What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

2 hours ago, Yavianice said:

Did you want to purchase it with zenmarket?

I was going to try! I won my first Yahoo Auctions item from Zenmarket this morning, it was a pretty big risk for me, since it was a Tokyo Metro set I've been wanting to get for awhile, and I was praying I wouldn't mess up while trying to get it through them! I was also going to try and order that set from Hobbyland Pochi through Zenmarket, just to see how that would work out. Fortunately, I did find a different set to try and order instead, so if all works out, I'll bundle the two items and that'll be that! (I'll even get to choose from other shipping options than USPS/SAL/EMS, so this package might actually arrive!)

Thought as I was going for the “professional”and “I know what I m doing” look,and it is only a look,ha ha,that I d get myself a better helping hand! In essence there are times I need a damm site more than one helping hand.

9CC6EB0F-BD44-4FD4-966F-FF8BB07DE3F1.thumb.jpeg.f17420d95c072de611707994a49bdf30.jpeg

• Like 4
9 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Initially I planned to install it on the platform... and then I realise, it was only for 4-door types commuter trains... that would make the platform kinda strange for regular trains... Also, it makes the platform covered up and hence defeated the purpose of the hard work of sticking the platform with the commuters and detailing... 

Maybe you could use parts frim them for an installation scene. You could trim off one set of doors and put it at one end if the platform with a bunch of workmen standing around.  Change is comming, but not quite yet!  

3 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Maybe you could use parts frim them for an installation scene. You could trim off one set of doors and put it at one end if the platform with a bunch of workmen standing around.  Change is comming, but not quite yet!  

Oooh! That would be cool! Mind if I steal your idea, too?

46 minutes ago, Philphil said:

Oooh! That would be cool! Mind if I steal your idea, too?

Sure!  Its fun to make small scenes that hint at a bigger story.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Sure!  Its fun to make small scenes that hint at a bigger story.

Sweet! Guess it's time to do some research as to how these doors are delivered to the various stations, whether by truck, train, or other, and how they're actually installed onto the platforms.

1 hour ago, Philphil said:

Sweet! Guess it's time to do some research as to how these doors are delivered to the various stations, whether by truck, train, or other, and how they're actually installed onto the platforms.

There was a programme on Japanese TV a while back showing how they did it on the Ginza line; doors were delivered in a normal Ginza line train and bolted into place overnight.

What they didn't show is the weeks and months of work needed to get the platforms into a state where they can install the doors; this also happens overnight so you won't see any work going on while trains are running.

What I have seen e.g. on the Yamanote line are partial installations, where they've fixed the doors in place along part (but not all) of the platform, with the doors permanently open until the whole installation is finished. There'll be a couple of platform staff (usually external security guards) positioned on the platform to manage passenger flows.

nscalestation

Yesterday I picked up this Kato model of the 683 series Thunderbird.  My wife and I had ridden on this one during our trip to Japan last year.

Thunderbird1.thumb.jpg.8ea5893bad2d38f6292d145224eedbfd.jpg

Then when I got home the Greenmax kits that I won on ebay a couple weeks ago had finally arrived.

GM36a.thumb.jpg.aaa79c3fec9b6066e079e072ff0d81a4.jpg

GM36a.jpg

• Like 7

The depiction on the front of the box gives me a Enoden feel near Fujisawa Station.  Although no shops/garages are under the viaduct in real life.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, nscalestation said:

Yesterday I picked up this Kato model of the 683 series Thunderbird.  My wife and I had ridden on this one during our trip to Japan last year.

Thunderbird1.thumb.jpg.8ea5893bad2d38f6292d145224eedbfd.jpg

So KATO has 3 different Thunderbird sets, 10-482,  10-555, and 10-1391.  The 10-482 is an older livery.  I got this from eBay being advertised as 10-1391.   Because it did not match the 3 car add-on set we had I also got the 10-1391.   I did not even know about the 10-555 until about a week or two ago when I started noticing them.   The livery for 10-555 and 10-1391 look very similar if not identical.   Just looking at pics of the two sets in their foam boxes they sometimes look identical and sometimes slightly different, deepening on who took the picture or the quality of the picture.   The 10-1391 appears to have a darker gray or black stripe against the windows while the 10-555 is lighter gray.  10-1391 is "DCC ready" while the 10-555 does not mention that.   So I guess KATO made/makes 3 different liveries of the Thunderbird.    Cool...   Maybe someday I'll have to find a 10-555.    There is an add-on 3 car set for each of these as well.

Martijn Meerts
On 3/31/2018 at 2:03 AM, chadbag said:

Saw this on eBay last week.  Had a "Make Offer" button.  So I put in an offer 15% less than he was asking with free shipping (was inside the US).  The guy accepted.   Came today thanks to the USPS.   The cardboard sleeve has a few wear marks but the actual book case and the engines look almost new (if not new).  They are very nice and run well, and the inside is non DCC but modern and should be a piece of cake to put a decoder in.    More like the non DCC EMU power cars with the plastic tab holding the motor tabs down on the power rails.

large.5abece1f19e89_J10d6iaR5qYIkWEdFKREw.jpg.d2fac234a68990102532cf84b1646437.jpg

large.sXjPVhLUSk2q9MXCQc1FLw.jpg.e4c9028aa56805d331a2b3d2be92a7fd.jpg

I really like the green one.. Now I need one at some point :D

As for me, had to buy a new pair of headphones with decent sound and noise cancelling, so no new train stuff this month ;)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Small parcel dropped off from Ami.... nothing much except some stuff for a construction site diorama and more TN couplers... 

20180329_165734.jpg

20180329_165743.jpg

20180329_165818.jpg

Also, a SUPER EXPENSIVE month end for me.... just paid for 3 large orders from Ami... for the Kintetsu 30000 Vista EX new colour, HB-E300 Shirakami Buna formation, 883 series Sonic, Tetsudo Collection 26 and the whole lot of new buses from Tomytec.... 

The grass is calling... 

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, chadbag said:

So KATO has 3 different Thunderbird sets, 10-482,  10-555, and 10-1391.  The 10-482 is an older livery.  I got this from eBay being advertised as 10-1391.   Because it did not match the 3 car add-on set we had I also got the 10-1391.   I did not even know about the 10-555 until about a week or two ago when I started noticing them.   The livery for 10-555 and 10-1391 look very similar if not identical.   Just looking at pics of the two sets in their foam boxes they sometimes look identical and sometimes slightly different, deepening on who took the picture or the quality of the picture.   The 10-1391 appears to have a darker gray or black stripe against the windows while the 10-555 is lighter gray.  10-1391 is "DCC ready" while the 10-555 does not mention that.   So I guess KATO made/makes 3 different liveries of the Thunderbird.    Cool...   Maybe someday I'll have to find a 10-555.    There is an add-on 3 car set for each of these as well.

They "DID" make 3 different versions.  But 10-482 is from 2002, and 10-1391 is from 2017.  So one would expect colour and livery changes.  Especially when the prototype model has gone through the same changes in the same time frame.

1 hour ago, Sascha said:

My 70000 series from Nariichi arrived. Great Model!!
738c31a2f70d182907dbb3dc42ea10c7.jpg7263fc3255082031ccd177cc584fd573.jpg

Ah, AMAZING! I'm still dying for one of these! Have you gotten to run it yet?

6 minutes ago, Philphil said:

Ah, AMAZING! I'm still dying for one of these! Have you gotten to run it yet?

Nope.I'll run it tomorrow!I'll let you know how it runs!!!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, katoftw said:

They "DID" make 3 different versions.  But 10-482 is from 2002, and 10-1391 is from 2017.  So one would expect colour and livery changes.  Especially when the prototype model has gone through the same changes in the same time frame.

Sure.  I have the 10-482 and 10-1391 and was unaware of the 10-555 until recently.  Based on bad images online it is harder to tell the difference between 10-555 and 10-1391 though you can see them if you stare at them long enough (and have good images).  It would be nice if retailers listed when it came out and that it has been "superseded" by a newer one (prototype changed, etc).

Hobby search for example does list the original first release date from 2001 onwards. Just type the stock number into search bar.

Edited by katoftw

Yes, they (HS) are one of the few.  But I don't believe they tell you about "newer" versions of the "same thing."  It would be nice if KATO/Tomix included info and retailers showed it that show which years of prototype the model is of, etc. when a new one comes out.  So 10-482 could say "matches the Thunderbird until 2005" (or whatever), 10-555 "matches the Thunderbird from 2005-2015" (or whatever), 10-1391 (matches the Thunderbird from 2015+).  (I made those dates up as examples; I don't know when the Thunderbird changed liveries.  If the change was gradual, it could say "matches Thunderbird from 2002-2015/2016" or whatever.

Just wishful thinking on my part.

Edited by chadbag

I think those yearbooks they release have that info. Otherwise yeah it is a little detective work reading the poorly google translated HS descriptions.

Edited by katoftw
1 hour ago, Sascha said:

Nope.I'll run it tomorrow!I'll let you know how it runs!!!

THAT WOULD BE AMAZING!  I hope you post pictures of the front and rear lights, too!

3 hours ago, Sascha said:

My 70000 series from Nariichi arrived. Great Model!!
738c31a2f70d182907dbb3dc42ea10c7.jpg7263fc3255082031ccd177cc584fd573.jpg

(Did one of the truck sideframes on that middle car fall off?)

1 minute ago, Philphil said:

(Did one of the truck sideframes on that middle car fall off?)

The whole underside cam lose when I pickt it up. Some of the wheels on other cars are also lose!