What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Just now, lighthouse said:

Yes, its the Deluxe Version

I am really on the fence about that train, but some other preorders have priority.

• Like 1
Fenway Park

Collected my Kato C57 and coaches today. 

Thanks Nairiichi, well packed as usual. 

Many thanks. 

Malcolm

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Fenway Park said:

Collected my Kato C57 and coaches today. 

Which coaches did you get for it?

nscalestation

Just picked up two Greenmax # 36 kits on ebay for a project I want to start.  This is the viaduct set with shops under the track.  This seller has quite a few Japanese items at reasonable prices and is in the US so shipping was reasonable for me. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/N-Scale/19119/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=tma3015&_sac=1

Saw that he also had an old Tomix 2816 (125 type car for 100 series Shinkansen) but it had already sold.  I need 2 of those and a 2816 (126 type) to complete my full 16 car train that I started in 1997 !

• Like 4
2 hours ago, nscalestation said:

Just picked up two Greenmax # 36 kits on ebay for a project I want to start.  This is the viaduct set with shops under the track.  This seller has quite a few Japanese items at reasonable prices and is in the US so shipping was reasonable for me. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/N-Scale/19119/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=tma3015&_sac=1

Saw that he also had an old Tomix 2816 (125 type car for 100 series Shinkansen) but it had already sold.  I need 2 of those and a 2816 (126 type) to complete my full 16 car train that I started in 1997 !

We are the friends group (Transport Museum Association, 501C 3) of the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis, MO.  These items were donated to us from a store that was closing, we are selling the items and all money raised goes to our education and restoration programs.  

Are these left over items from Mokei?

The tomix and greenmax items may have been brought over from mokei, but I don’t think the store closing was them as he closed shop a number of years ago and did not carry any unitrak only kato Japanese trains,

jeff

Edited by cteno4
Fenway Park

Hi,

The coaches that I ordered with the C57 were 1 Suha 32 2 Suhafu 32 and 1 Suha 33 which makes up a 4 car set that can be made  larger if required. 

Malcolm

• Thanks 1
nscalestation
2 hours ago, bill937ca said:

We are the friends group (Transport Museum Association, 501C 3) of the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis, MO.  These items were donated to us from a store that was closing, we are selling the items and all money raised goes to our education and restoration programs.  

Are these left over items from Mokei?

That was what I suspected at first.  As I have been adding some of the old Greenmax buildings into the Trovestar N Scale database I have noticed some of the boxes have a "Mokei Imports" sticker so that would seem to confirm that at least the Greenmax kits passed through Mokei at some point.  

• Like 1
18 hours ago, kvp said:

Generally 14 cm for each car (aka. one 280 mm piece for every two cars) plus the size of the turnout area, which is roughly 5 cars long. On the bright side, the space is greatly reduced between the tracks, so more tracks fit side by side.

I neared 6 foot after adding the engine sheds to the only tracks that matched its spacing, though lengthening the yard is going to be interesting for those that use the plan depicted on the box front with no modification, yet from the new Tomix topic, it looked like that layout's going to be supported by TNOS in the next update.

Also behold the QC fail:
 image1.thumb.JPG.dad558a2f2ebd80e062af538c4509eba.JPG
I've informed the supplier about it and asked them to just send out a replacement buffer - it's still in production, Tomix just changed the box number after repackaging it -  so that they don't send me another yard set.

• Like 1
Just now, katoftw said:

what is wrong other than a few screws not screwed all the way in?

Look at the first one and the bottom 2 squares of the L, then look at the same points on the other 4, it's missing the solder blob in each hole. I looked closer and it appears that no solder was ever applied, therefore it missed a step at the factory & QC missed it. 

25 minutes ago, katoftw said:

thanks.  had to zoom right in to notice it.  How does the missing solder effect the operation of the buffers?  No light?

I've yet to test that function but its more along the lines of "okay, time to redesign....huh, there's a rail still attached to that bit of track & a buffer's missing a rail."

13 hours ago, nscalestation said:

Wow, he does have a bunch of stuff! Thanks for the link!!!:grin

The EH500 I ordered off eBay arrived today so I at least can see how it looks with some Koki's while I wait for the rest of my starter items to arrive from Japan!

...but It didn't include any of the detail parts runners (or the Kato engine box) - admittedly the seller made no note of this and the price was reasonable -  It looks great and was packed solidly, but I'm a bit worried if I can find the parts I'll need to complete it.

I've checked https://www.e-katomodels2.com and it seems that they only have two of the parts runners for sale as spare parts.

I also am considering buying another as new, but there's still only 2 release levers per kit, so I'll still be short...

Anyone have any suggestions?

large.IMG_5660.jpg.45e5c8df44763838566b440ff1690f3d.jpg

• Like 3

Can't help on the detailing parts, but last time I bought an unboxed Kato loco and coaches I picked up one of their book cases intended to store a loco hauled train. These have a chunk of foam to pull out (and presumably replace with the foam from the loco box?) I removed that foam, cut it to suit the loco and refitted it to the main foam case liner.

• Like 1

No worries- I might see about grabbing another used one off YJA and maybe fabricate whatever is still missing unless someone ends up having spare parts

Yep- in the larger Amazon Japan order I'm waiting on for next week, I bought a few of those empty books for just that purpose!

Just realized I've been running the Kato 100V Japanese voltage power pack off of a 120V American outlet... Guess I need an adapter before my powerpack explodes, or something

20 hours ago, nscalestation said:

Thanks for the heads up brad!  I bought the lot of kato boxcars they had for a steal, and some viaduct curves I needed.  Great prices.

4 hours ago, defor said:

The EH500 I ordered off eBay arrived today so I at least can see how it looks with some Koki's while I wait for the rest of my starter items to arrive from Japan!

...but It didn't include any of the detail parts runners (or the Kato engine box) - admittedly the seller made no note of this and the price was reasonable -  It looks great and was packed solidly, but I'm a bit worried if I can find the parts I'll need to complete it.

I've checked https://www.e-katomodels2.com and it seems that they only have two of the parts runners for sale as spare parts.

I also am considering buying another as new, but there's still only 2 release levers per kit, so I'll still be short...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Sorry to hear its missing a few parts, if the locomotive is still in production/for sale you might try contacting modeltrainplus, they can sometimes check with kato to see if any spares are in stock.  Otherwise looking for the same model with the "junk" tag on buyee (yahoo auctions) can be used for parts and the two can be combined into one working model.  Often kato models come with multiple number plates, so you might see if another forum member has one or two spares they could send you.  Some models even come with spare other details so you might be able to find a whistle or two floating around too.

• Like 1
Just realized I've been running the Kato 100V Japanese voltage power pack off of a 120V American outlet... Guess I need an adapter before my powerpack explodes, or something

I think you’ll be fine- if anything the output voltage just might run a little high. General rule of thumb is almost all electronics since the mid 90’s is safe within a good 30+ volts range... that said, it’s a good thing too as a lot of places will have natural voltage drops and spikes that large if the grid’s overutilized or older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nscalestation
9 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Thanks for the heads up brad!  I bought the lot of kato boxcars they had for a steal, and some viaduct curves I needed.  Great prices.

That's great Sam.  Glad I got what I did yesterday cause they are all gone now.

Just picked up a package from my local post office and got surprised by how the bookcase was wrapped. A piece of thin protective wrapping held together by brown tape. Could see the bookcase through it. Quite a change from the usually careful packing I am used to from Japan.

D7A9AD76-1663-4601-A3B0-1E5CAE990A3C.thumb.jpeg.fd78cadd39278538f5e0313f7e5459f1.jpeg

On the plus side, it meant I did not had to go to the custom or pay taxes on the package. Wonder what triggers the Zoll, it seems pretty random, often based on the look of the package. The fastest delivery I ever had so far with buyee was with a set packed inside an Amazon box. Cleared the custom in Frankfurt in a matter of hours.

The model is a beauty, amazingly still came in one piece without visible damage to either the bookcase nor the set. ;) Now the question is how does it run? It is quite an old set.

76E13CC1-7232-463D-8FA0-9886A0694532.thumb.jpeg.ee80a0c1c4789ca0bcb06383af5678b5.jpeg

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 3