What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Took delivery of several packages last week. They were shipped using ePacket which seems to be inbetween SAL and EMS? They were surprisingly fast, as both made the journey including customs within a week.

The first package from Loco1Hobby contained an ED62 as well as the Taki25000/Hoki5700 Iida Line Freight train, to run with the ED62.
484.thumb.JPG.e72c6e13512ea0e80703a180a57444d8.JPG

487.thumb.JPG.a2ba04eb7b07b751a141f8481052b57e.JPG

The second one was the new Kato Power Pack SX as well as some Interior Lights.

The constant lighting function is really neat and works good with most newer Kato trains lights, although not with all (The ED62 headlight and the Aikan 2000 series' motor car's Headlights for example only come on when it starts to move, however the trailer car's headlights come on earlier for some reason). Tomix's lights also come on at standstill and even the lights of some Minitrix units, though not all. You can hear a very slight buzzing from the pulsed power on most units, (probably the same what happens with a real train motor/inverter) though on some Tomix units it gets pretty loud.

A question to the people here with a bit better understanding of electronics than me:
I originally planned on using just a plug adapter with the powerpack, however on the power supply cable that came with it it reads "7A 125V". Could I use this on a german 230V line or would I risk damaging something if I connect the powerpack using that cable? The powerpack itself works with up to 240V and takes any C7/C8 type plug so i used a 2.5A 250V rated Power cable from another device with a Euro Plug on one and and a C7/C8 plug on the other end for now to be safe.

Edited by Gryphr
  • Like 7

A parcel just arrived with few bits to carry on with my layout.

Just thinking about cutting wood (or mdf or etc.) for the layout has helped me to procrastinate the project for some weeks.

Anyway, I eventually have to do it (i.e. work with wood) so I can go back to the electric part.

02.jpg.b32a5b14583ce2f067038b7859e3162e.jpg

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, nxcale said:

A parcel just arrived with few bits to carry on with my layout.

Just thinking about cutting wood (or mdf or etc.) for the layout has helped me to procrastinate the project for some weeks.

Anyway, I eventually have to do it (i.e. work with wood) so I can go back to the electric part.

i seriously like the Kato long house... i feel that it is much better in terms of looks over the Tomix one which looked pretty 'basic'..... The Kato one even has inspection bays inside the house! 

• Like 1
Das Steinkopf
12 hours ago, bill937ca said:

From HS a Tomytec Keihan Electric Railway Otsu Line Type 80 and matching Tomytec TM-TR05 power chassis.

IMG_5832  1024 x 768.jpg

I got mine from AmiAmi the other week, I found it rather odd that they didn’t stock the TM-TR05 chassis this time. I was lucky though as I had ordered a spare one to use for my Keihan exclusive 80 Series with AC when they brought out the 80 series without A/C last year. I will be reverting my Keihan exclusive model back to original form and motorising the new model, that way I don’t have to use the decal sheet of the exclusive model. 

• Like 2
scotspensioner
On 17/02/2018 at 2:33 AM, chadbag said:

I purchased a Tomix Koki with Yamato containers from them off Rakuten.   Still waiting for it to come.  I got tired of looking at them on amazon and elsewhere.  I almost ordered it from Germany, since, while expensive, it would have been a buck or two cheaper included with other stuff from the German store, which has fixed shipping costs, than ordering it separately from Japan.  But then it sold out at DM-TOYS.DE and so I just said, screw it, and got it off Rakuten.-

I wish it had been available through amazon.co.jp (for international shipment).  That would have been the easiest and cheapest.

Two of DM-TOYS.DE Tomix KoKis with Yamato Containers are now in Scotland as I bought them!They are the only Tomix wagons I have at present!

Edited by scotspensioner
Additional details
4 hours ago, scotspensioner said:

Two of DM-TOYS.DE Tomix KoKis with Yamato Containers are now in Scotland as I bought them!They are the only Tomix wagons I have at present!

Ha, that is funny!  They were in stock and I was just waiting for my new credit card cycle and then it went out of stock.  Good for you.   My dm-toys.de order is stuck in shipping limbo.

scotspensioner

I pick up stuff from sources where it's available but I haven't ordered from Japan yet.What happened in this case was that I ordered DVDs from another German shop and they sent me empty cases.So I contacted them to sort it out and while doing that I came on DM toys - DE web site and spotted these wagons so i ordered two and them and the corrected DVD order arrived together the week after the New Year.

Tomix is virtually unobtainable in the U K so these have a rarity value! They look good behind an EF 64-1000 in the Blue and White angled livery( Milk Carton?)along with a pair of Kato KoKis one of which has JOT pink band containers on it!

15 minutes ago, scotspensioner said:

I pick up stuff from sources where it's available but I haven't ordered from Japan yet.What happened in this case was that I ordered DVDs from another German shop and they sent me empty cases.So I contacted them to sort it out and while doing that I came on DM toys - DE web site and spotted these wagons so i ordered two and them and the corrected DVD order arrived together the week after the New Year.

Tomix is virtually unobtainable in the U K so these have a rarity value! They look good behind an EF 64-1000 in the Blue and White angled livery( Milk Carton?)along with a pair of Kato KoKis one of which has JOT pink band containers on it!

Yeah, that is a good policy.  That is why I was going to get one there with some DB stuff I wanted.  I typically use amazon.co.jp where possible as that is usually the least expensive for Japanese stuff, and other Japanese sources, but hey, overall cost rules and if it is cheaper when combining with another order form Europe, why not?  :)

Glad you got them!

Phil that’s extreme torture for J.R.! Are you going to reveal it all one picture at a time. Such a tease!

if that’s all busses that’s quite a haul!

jeff

I guess he'll have to wait another couple of hours then! Haha If I wasn't on my way to school then I would have opened it earlier. So maybe another three hours or so? (Hopefully) :smileinbox:

You could put one a day up... no that’s too cruel! 

He will probably be getting up about the time you get home from school.

Jeff

ps good will power to not rip the box open before heading off to school!

Edited by cteno4

Amazon UK marketplace can be surprisingly good for Japanese N. Obviously prices vary, but there are deals to be had. Sometimes you find things the more conventional retailers sold out of.

I think a lot of the sellers wait for an order then go and trawl their local model shops for the items. Would explain the one I had with a Popondetta price ticket on it! Brand new at a reasonable price so I really didn't mind.

1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

You could put one a day up... no that’s too cruel! 

He will probably be getting up about the time you get home from school.

Jeff

ps good will power to not rip the box open before heading off to school!

I LIKE THAT IDEA! One bus per day for the next month and a half!

17 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

i seriously like the Kato long house... i feel that it is much better in terms of looks over the Tomix one which looked pretty 'basic'..... The Kato one even has inspection bays inside the house! 

I totally agree with you.

Even though I am using Tomix track, I decided to use the Kato engine house cos' this has more details and a more appealing look (actually the latter depends of each one's taste...).

Got the used Kato 23-125 elevated station set I bought on ebay. The missing parts tally really isn't too bad, just the bridge piers, stickers, and an S-joiner. All deck plates are there along with the two shop buildings and station building which support part of the structure. I may have enough stickers left from my first set to complete this one.

Das Steinkopf
16 hours ago, nxcale said:

I totally agree with you.

Even though I am using Tomix track, I decided to use the Kato engine house cos' this has more details and a more appealing look (actually the latter depends of each one's taste...).

I am more a fan of the Tomix model, once you give it a bit of much needed rough love with a paintbrush it actually scrubs up quite well and looks like a typical Japanese loco shed, I will be fitting mine with the Kato inspection tracks, I also have some Tsugawa Yoko lifting jacks and other detail bits that I will use to make the interior look more interesting.

22112681739_d9995147dc_z_d.jpg

• Like 4
scotspensioner

The postman delivered a flat box which opened to reveal a somewhat battered Kato sleeve containing a book box.It was labelled 10-173 651series"Super Hitachi"

Opening the box revealed what appears to be a mint train with suitable packaging which suggests it has had very little if any use.The instructions are dated 1999!  It has full interior lighting as a standard fitting and all the decals are in place which makes me wonder if it's been a display model supplied complete by Kato.

A brief test this afternoon showed all to be in working order.

Usual excuse- I  was going to buy less this year but it was too good to miss.The missus likes the coach lighting- another first!!

Edited by scotspensioner
Additional information
  • Like 3