What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

54 minutes ago, railsquid said:

I seem to be falling down the rabbit hole of modern freight...

I am also after an EH500, but they seem to have pretty much vanished from the market, so had to make do with an EH10...

25056097097_9bcfabe99a_z.jpg

Kato EH10 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 5
2 hours ago, railsquid said:

I seem to be falling down the rabbit hole of modern freight... Kato EF510, acquired cheaply as a non-runner but boxed with all bits'n'bobs complete and nothing a bit of cleaning and oiling couldn't fix.

39028112185_c24c638842_z.jpg

Kato EF210 (catalogue number 3015) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

I've found that a lot of Tomix non--runners just need a bit of cleanin since they seem to come over-lubricated from the factory. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

I like the look of that 14 series as I also have a very lonely EF62.  Do these ones come with the bodymount couplers?   Not that I need an excuse to get an pair of EF63, but this would be a good one...

Hey Kiha

Yes they have the standard Kato blue train body mount couplers which snap together. Each end has body mounted Arnold couplers with the option to change to a Kato knuckle. There’s also a nice selection of car ends and jumper plug details. Destination and car number details are already printed but there’s a decal sheet if you want to change anything. 

I was was never a big fan of the 14 series coaches but this set has certainly changed my mind.

1BE145B5-BEC7-4DA2-BDD2-C9F1C273C612.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Tanuki said:

I’m quite interested in getting this myself because it can be configured for a  special Hakkoda service from the early 1990s. I caught the standard service a couple of times around then. The standard services had no sleeper cars, though.

The sleeper cars are detachable and both the front and rear lounge cars have tail lights and marks. According to the info sheet Kato do an Assy part to change the coupler mount if you want a standard Arnold or Kato knuckle. The one included is the flat snap connect knuckle coupler that’s on all of their blue train sets.

21 minutes ago, Kamome said:

The sleeper cars are detachable and both the front and rear lounge cars have tail lights and marks. According to the info sheet Kato do an Assy part to change the coupler mount if you want a standard Arnold or Kato knuckle. The one included is the flat snap connect knuckle coupler that’s on all of their blue train sets.

Good to know, thank you.

But even if I get the three single cars Kato has released I will still have only eight cars for a standard consist which i think is ten cars. I could get multiple single units, but then i’d Have duplicate car numbers on some cars... maybe i’m Just too picky...

I've been busy planning my layout.  I probably had 10 different layout plans, this hobby is driving me nuts. :violent1:

Yesterday I received the Kato viaduct station and the Blue TGV.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, tavora said:

I've been busy planning my layout.  I probably had 10 different layout plans, this hobby is driving me nuts. :violent1:

Oh i know that feeling oh so well! 😂

i m on my fifth attempt,more or less once a year, at trying to get it right,even for this one I had six track plans,I decided to go with simple and dress it up with the Trains and scenics.👍

13 hours ago, tavora said:

Don't you want to show us the plans? Maybe it would be useful for others as well. We have a planning section in the forum, I think I am not the only one who likes to watch plans from different people with different themes.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, tavora said:

Taverna,

layout planning can be very frustrating, Ive found it best to just play with the track you have for a while to get ideas of what you like and don’t like and that helps the move forward better with track planning software.

jeff

3 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Taverna,

layout planning can be very frustrating, Ive found it best to just play with the track you have for a while to get ideas of what you like and don’t like and that helps the move forward better with track planning software.

jeff

And then throwing everything out the window because you forget about the "requirements" of japanese track and trains (e.g. straights between corners, switches, the too steep slope for V12 sets, etc.). At least that was the case for me when I started :D

Edited by Yavianice

Sorry the TGV is the Kato 10-909 in mint condition

https://www.spspspsp.com/buy/list/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/fc19359303d4580d9e7e75a946f331dd.jpg

About the project.... well this is the most challenging project I could come up with. Every step is a challenge by itself, hours and days trying to figure out the best solution . To be honest sometimes I wonder if I should go forward with it or maybe the solution is getting some help from you guys to go through the ordeals of it.

I will try to share some details soon...

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 4

The first eight cars of my Yamanote E231 arrived on Wednesday. Unfortunately due to some ghastly cold bordering on flu I've barely been able to get off the sofa since, much less run trains! Think it's past the worst now, so here's a photo of the 231 meeting an ancestor:

• Like 9
On 1/28/2018 at 11:58 AM, tavora said:

Story of my life! But you're definitely in the right place. I agree with everyone else, sharing ideas here is a great way to explore different options and have other people weigh in. I've never met a friendlier community!!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Philphil said:

Just picked up a BUNCH of 1/150 busses... Maybe a few too many, but that's not going to stop me from buying a few more! :grin

You got the same affliction that Sammy has? :grin

3 hours ago, katoftw said:

You got the same affliction that Sammy has? :grin

At first I was just buying a couple of things, then it got serious, I unexpected decided to make a bus parking lot (or two, or three) along with the local bus and highway bus stations I was planning on making. So I need to fill up all of those! :grin

At this moment, I've really committed to Toei and especially Keio busses...

Any tips on modeling a bus lot?

On 1/29/2018 at 5:46 AM, Welshbloke said:

The first eight cars of my Yamanote E231 arrived on Wednesday. Unfortunately due to some ghastly cold bordering on flu I've barely been able to get off the sofa since, much less run trains! Think it's past the worst now, so here's a photo of the 231 meeting an ancestor:

Are those both Kato models as the green really matches? Love the green color.

1 hour ago, Philphil said:

At first I was just buying a couple of things, then it got serious, I unexpected decided to make a bus parking lot (or two, or three) along with the local bus and highway bus stations I was planning on making. So I need to fill up all of those! :grin

At this moment, I've really committed to Toei and especially Keio busses...

Any tips on modeling a bus lot?

Buses are fun! one can never have enough buses, you can park them at the yard, put them on the road, put them on the highway, heck you can even park them on top of a building with a ramp to act as a bus terminal! 

Toei bus are by far one of the nicest livery, and most of which people can relate with as we often see them plying around Tokyo... You can build a fleet of Toei buses by buying multiple copies of JB01 All Island Bus series... 

For the bus parking lot, you can find a lot of photos on google, but your best bet is the Tomytec bus terminal diorama set, which is easily built up and looks quite nice, along with an office and re-fueling facility.  (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10266485   and http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10266484)

10 hours ago, serotta1972 said:

Are those both Kato models as the green really matches? Love the green color.

Yep, the 103 is 10-1189 (add on pack 10-1190 for a full ten car train, and 10-1232 is a pair of matching KuHa 103s with the later higher cabs as an alternative to the low cab versions in the basic set. There's space for the extra KuHas in the add on pack case).

The E231 is 10-890 and -891 at the moment, will order -892 in a few days.

• Like 1

Kato V52 arrived today, managed to find an ebay listing from within the states so it got here in 2 days! 

large.unitram.jpg.15b1883608cecf3056af3335f570542f.jpg

Looking forward to adding the rest of my tram track to the layout so I can start to get a better idea of how everything will be laid out. If I like it, my layout woes may be over and I can start having even more fun! 

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, Philphil said:

Sold some HO stuff, then bought like 7 more N scale busses... The vicious cycle continues.

Buses! interesting! can i know what you have bought? I'm guessing Toei haha 

1 hour ago, JR 500系 said:

Buses! interesting! can i know what you have bought? I'm guessing Toei haha 

Sure! At the moment I've actually won 1 Seibu bus, 3 Toei busses, 2 Tokyu busses, 10 Keio busses, 1 Tobu West bus, and 1 Ryukyu bus. Unfortunately there's more to come!

Edited by Philphil