What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

A parcel from HS has just arrived with some small items for scenery, some Tamiya tools and 2 Railfan magazines (for the bonus items: a 2018 calendar and a 2018 diary).

20171228_magazines.thumb.jpg.6eea9a2f6d28e32b9c7f24a3346232da.jpg

• Like 5

And I just went down the Yamanote Line rabbit hole. E231 basic set from random ebay seller. Will get the add on sets over the next couple of months.

As I'd just seen a discount code for an ebay flash sale it came in at 20% off. Code is valid on everything but only for the next 68mins now, PNY2018.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, medusa said:

My late chrismas present arrived today. I was simply speechless. That's true love. My sweetheart is the best of all. :love7:

Yes simply the best! You are one lucky guy!

Seems everyone is on the Shikishima boat now!!   :P

Well... like they say, if you cant ride the actual train, maybe having the model can make you a little more happy ~~

I predict a continuing absence of Shikishima in the Squid household.

If anyone wants a 2nd hand one for 28,000 yen + tax, there was one on the shelf in Poppondetta in Hachioji earlier.

• Like 4
40 minutes ago, railsquid said:

If anyone wants a 2nd hand one for 28,000 yen + tax, there was one on the shelf in Poppondetta in Hachioji earlier.

Shikishima absence here too.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, railsquid said:

Holy cow, these just came out and somebody already bought one and sold it off?! So sad!

Or possibly a very minor one-off defect that an obsessive otaku would not accept on their model.  A lot of people might let that sort of thing pass, but not necessarily train collectors who go over their models with magnifying glasses.

Not sure if physical retailers in Japan allow you to inspect before purchasing but obviously that sort of thing is not available with Internet/mail orders, and the owner may have just decided to let it go and get another one. 

Most brick'n'mortar (OK, concrete and plasterboard) retailers allow pre-purchase testing, and online stores usually have a returns policy (I forget what the legal situation is, but I've sent stuff back before) so if someone did sell to a 2nd hand retailer to purchase a replacement, they'd be taking a bit of a hit...

I think the squid hit it on the head! Followed by “but I can’t return it, I’ve been running it” then “well then you march right back to popendetta and sell it mister...”. ;-p

jeff

Edited by cteno4

Maybe someone got two of them? Ordered one themselves and was also given one as a present?

I'm not bothering as it doesn't appeal to me. Besides which, if I'm aiming for a Yamanote-themed collection of EMUs I need to concentrate on buying those before they disappear. I have a ten car 103 Series and three KuMoHa 11/KuHa 16 pairs, from what I can make of the Kato diagrams they imply an eight car formation of the latter can pass for similar units used on the Yamanote before they were rebuilt for branch line use?

Edited by Welshbloke
More detail

I wasn’t going to go down the shaki-shima hole myself, but a month or so ago while on amazon.jp one popped up going for a ridiculously low price with wicked fast amazon DHL  shipping. Being weak I thought I would buy my first train thru amazon.jp (hey I’m doing testing, yeah that’s right that’s the justification). Wasn’t sure it would happen as it was nearing release but figured I would go tomix if I didn’t get it. Then a week before Xmas a confirmation email comes thru and the day after that saying it would be delivered day after Xmas and a day after that saying the price was reduced 1200 yen, then a day later it would be here day before Xmas! It is a beauty, but was one of those weak impulse buys as I would love to have the tomix all wheel pickup, but oh well just call me weak...

jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Haha 2
33 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Uh oh Gavin has gone down the totaro rabbit hole! Castle will Be next...

jeff

OMG. Is this like a disease with a predictable natural history?  I have actually been looking around my layout to see if there's a place that a little castle would fit.

Where does it end? With me moving to a new house, carefully chosen on the basis of potential layout spaces? (Not that I've considered that.....eh.....I swear.)

On 12/30/2017 at 11:46 PM, railsquid said:

I imagine one of "those" conversations which go "you spent how much on a train!?!"

See that's why you get something that comes in a 3-4 car basic set with a bunch of add-ons. That way you can *ahem* sneak them in over time. And just say 'huh, I don't think the train got any longer'. 

Even though I'm a JR East fan this one just doesn't do it for me. Maybe if I saw the model in person my mind would change. Also for the lights do you just snap in the bulb from the lighting kit?

Edited by nah00
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1