What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

New Kato releases are interesting. The YO 6000 may avoid the problems with the Tomix version, while the Ku 5000  re-release is most welcome. 

I am not sure how much car traffic there was between Honshu and Kyushu so I have ordered 4 cars and 1 set of covered vehciles. 

The Tora 9000 provides a new top half to show an open wagon. Comparing the Kato and Popondetta versions show differences in width so as long as the two are kept apart there should be no problem.

Working through the RLF C11 plates for Kyushu, I have ordered and noted several locos such as C11 254 made long distance transfers between Kyushu and North Western Honshu and finished their careers there. 

56934, a 9600 class loco made a trip in the opposite direction and is now preserved as part of the Kyushu Museum. I presume these transfers were made as these locos were in better condition and not in need in an immediate overhaul. 

Some of the RLF plates will require the release of the Kyushu series C11 from Tramway or more specific releases from Kato.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Fenway Park said:

New Kato releases are interesting. The YO 6000 may avoid the problems with the Tomix version, while the Ku 5000  re-release is most welcome. 

I am not sure how much car traffic there was between Honshu and Kyushu so I have ordered 4 cars and 1 set of covered vehciles. 

The Tora 9000 provides a new top half to show an open wagon. Comparing the Kato and Popondetta versions show differences in width so as long as the two are kept apart there should be no problem.

Working through the RLF C11 plates for Kyushu, I have ordered and noted several locos such as C11 254 made long distance transfers between Kyushu and North Western Honshu and finished their careers there. 

56934, a 9600 class loco made a trip in the opposite direction and is now preserved as part of the Kyushu Museum. I presume these transfers were made as these locos were in better condition and not in need in an immediate overhaul. 

Some of the RLF plates will require the release of the Kyushu series C11 from Tramway or more specific releases from Kato.

I've been on an EF30 history binge, and there were definitely cars shipped through the tunnel on trains of solely Ku 5000s.  EF30s were double headed on freight trains, and I've seen pictures of the occasional triple and even quadruple header.  The road tunnel was actually started in 1932, but was halted by WWII and while it wasn't finished till 1958, ferry service over the short gap would be much faster than loading your car on the train so I assume the cars on the train are new being shipped to dealerships.  

img_0?1503143638

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:56 PM, nah00 said:

Got my early Christmas present, a Hokkaido Shinkansen. Also added a small station and an EF-510 that Nariichi-san had on sale. I kind of like the plain-jane silver scheme. 

That's so nice... I never received model trains as a Christmas present...  (those from myself to myself not considered)

55 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

That's so nice... I never received model trains as a Christmas present...  (those from myself to myself not considered)

That’s becoause everyone thinks you already got them ALL!!! Ha ha👍😂😂

• Haha 3

I ve got to be honest and say my kids always get me building kits for birthday and xmas but the Mrs does nt want to know ha ha😂😂😂😂😂

7 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

I've been on an EF30 history binge, and there were definitely cars shipped through the tunnel on trains of solely Ku 5000s.  EF30s were double headed on freight trains, and I've seen pictures of the occasional triple and even quadruple header.  The road tunnel was actually started in 1932, but was halted by WWII and while it wasn't finished till 1958, ferry service over the short gap would be much faster than loading your car on the train so I assume the cars on the train are new being shipped to dealerships.  

img_0?1503143638

Can you recommend a train for a lone EF30? I bought an old Tomix one ages ago as it matched the EF81 I already had, but I don't have anything to run it with. Should probably do something about that!

Post delivered today the print of Ozegahara I want to use for North Japan setups. Print is on 120x80 cm poster. I already cut the three parts out after I took the photo.

ozegahara_print.png.ced38535aa82c5d589935a0a4b3098d5.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

They were used through the Kanmon Tunnel between Shimonoseki and Shin Moji on 1500 v DC just after the Kyushu end of the tunnel and then on 25 Kv AC. Their power on AC was much less than that on DC possibly explaining the need to double head freight workings. 

Single EF30s worked the passenger workings.

I am not sure where they were overhauled, which would give you the opportunity to run a single unit on test or on its way to an from the workshops..

Malcolm

Had these turn up today. Ebay Auction finished earlier this week, delivery expected on Tuesday 12th Dec at the earliest and actually showed up this afternoon. Really happy got them for a total of ~£80 (12,000 Yen/ US$106) including shipping inside the UK.

Train 1.jpg

Train 2.jpg

• Like 12

Yeah when I initially bid they were £12 each so I just put a stupid bid on because getting Japanese trains in the UK for that price is ridiculous and yeah I paid £80 total inc shipping, very happy with that as a find :) 

6 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

Can you recommend a train for a lone EF30? I bought an old Tomix one ages ago as it matched the EF81 I already had, but I don't have anything to run it with. Should probably do something about that!

Like Fenway said, passenger trains were usually ran with a single unit, as well as some small freight  (although rarely).  In the later years they sometimes ran in a pair with an EF81, so you could just run them together. 

3 hours ago, TimWay4 said:

Had these turn up today. Ebay Auction finished earlier this week, delivery expected on Tuesday 12th Dec at the earliest and actually showed up this afternoon. Really happy got them for a total of ~£80 (12,000 Yen/ US$106) including shipping inside the UK.

Chaching! Great deal!

lurking ebay can pay off!

jeff

I received my last package for this year, few track, kato fence, double catenary, Kato coupler for Kato/Tomix kokis (actually i've already done the replace), and 2 Kato controller from my modeller friend:

IMG_20171208_171406.thumb.jpg.9ba17d51418e5e9e551a050377a4f32a.jpg

Best regards,

Coromant

• Like 9

In no particular order I now have the following on the way:

Kato eight slot book case for my KuMoNi/YuNi/Ya collection. Anyone know if there's a collective term for these assorted units?

Casco ten slot case for my Tomytec 119 and 105 Series. Will need another one as that leaves my 107 and Chichibu 1001 out, and I kind of want more 119 and 105 Series units. Got two spare pantographs to use up which would suit one each of those types...

Kato RhB EW1 add-on set (decided if I didn't just buy one I'd probably miss my chance and be left with only the basic set).

Pair of Tomytec buildings for the mini module.

As for whether they'll be here before or after the Christmas shutdown, who knows! The Tomytec buildings should be fairly rapid as they were bought from Amazon and are apparently being posted within the UK.

• Like 1
scotspensioner

Suica posted on Wednesday about his train set being returned to Mandarake by German Customs Authorities.

Today I took delivery of a Kato set bought at a very reasonable price from a British domestic source..This has a sticker on the box saying "UK plug fitted" ,otherwise the box is the standard Japanese box.The plug is inside a second box and is marked CE,being a UK plug.

I suspect Suica s set  has fallen foul because it had a Japanese domestic plug in it.The sets sold in Germany would have had the plugs changed before acceptance.

I know however that at least one company was offering Hornby sets on sale in Britain decently with European plugs!

• Like 1

It's pretty common. The charger for my telescope power tank came with interchangeable plug tips to fit UK or two pin euro sockets. I keep both with it as who knows, I might find myself stargazing in France one day!

And I just bought a very tidy boxed Fleischmann N DB Br.212 from ebay. Been after one on and off for over a decade, couldn't pass it by for £35. Will have to get my Silberlinge out again!

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

In no particular order I now have the following on the way:

Kato eight slot book case for my KuMoNi/YuNi/Ya collection. Anyone know if there's a collective term for these assorted units?

The Kato 10-214 is perfect for the KuMoNi/YuNi/Ya's and it has the indentation on the foam liner to protect the pantographs.  It's what I'm using for my collection.  KuMoNi/YuNi/Ya collection, I think that's a good collective term for these assorted units. :)

IMG_3939.thumb.JPG.52e3cc707bce4c95ba63be9f94cafa0b.JPG

Edited by serotta1972
  • Like 4
6 hours ago, serotta1972 said:

The Kato 10-214 is perfect for the KuMoNi/YuNi/Ya's and it has the indentation on the foam liner to protect the pantographs.  It's what I'm using for my collection.  KuMoNi/YuNi/Ya collection, I think that's a good collective term for these assorted units. :)

IMG_3939.thumb.JPG.52e3cc707bce4c95ba63be9f94cafa0b.JPG

Exactly what I ordered. Mine will look a bit different though with the KuMoYas, and my powered KuMoYuNi 74 and dummy KuMoYuNi 82 are in the vacant slots in my 111 and 115 Series book sets respectively. I have a separate case for Tomytec Vol. 20 which holds all seven of the units I've managed to find from that series.

13 hours ago, scotspensioner said:

Suica posted on Wednesday about his train set being returned to Mandarake by German Customs Authorities.

Today I took delivery of a Kato set bought at a very reasonable price from a British domestic source..This has a sticker on the box saying "UK plug fitted" ,otherwise the box is the standard Japanese box.The plug is inside a second box and is marked CE,being a UK plug.

I suspect Suica s set  has fallen foul because it had a Japanese domestic plug in it.The sets sold in Germany would have had the plugs changed before acceptance.

I know however that at least one company was offering Hornby sets on sale in Britain decently with European plugs!

I have looked into this over the weekend and to my absolute horror I had to realize importing model trains without a CE sign is illegal in Germany now (and I suspect its the same all over europe as it violates an EU law). 

This means every train you order and receive is by pure luck because the customs officer checking your package has not yet received training on how to handle model trains.

The problem is model trains are seen as toys so they have to have a CE sign. As far as I understand it you can get around this when a company imports these trains and marks them with a sticker saying "not a toy, use 14 years +". 

Iam pretty sure Kato, Tomix and Micro Ace wont care about the CE sign so in the near future you will either have to smuggle your trains into the dictatorial hell hole called EU or pray some company will import the trains you want and sell them to you for doubled price (good luck with that).

Edited by EH500
  • Sad 1
41 minutes ago, EH500 said:

I have looked into this over the weekend and to my absolute horror I had to realize importing model trains without a CE sign is illegal in Germany now (and I suspect its the same all over europe as it violates an EU law). 

This means every train you order and receive is by pure luck because the customs officer checking your package has not yet received training on how to handle model trains.

The problem is model trains are seen as toys so they have to have a CE sign. As far as I understand it you can get around this when a company imports these trains and marks them with a sticker saying "not a toy, use 14 years +". 

Iam pretty sure Kato, Tomix and Micro Ace wont care about the CE sign so in the near future you will either have to smuggle your trains into the dictatorial hell hole called EU or pray some company will import the trains you want and sell them to you for doubled price (good luck with that).

It would be useful to confirm whether that applies to private consumers importing for their own purposes; a quick look produces lots of references to companies importing for *resale* within the EU, I haven't seen explicit confirmation either way what the situation is with private imports.