What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

I'll start a thread when the bits arrive (will be a while as of course they're all coming from parts of China). Here are the charger and motor controller board I ordered:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292332486630

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F322856796172

I've also ordered a breadboard and a power supply which delivers 5v or 3.3v depending on jumper setting, so I'll use that to test the concept before involving a battery.

What's a snubber circuit? I'm aiming at something able to control standard unmodified N scale trains, obviously short ones at fairly low speeds. Everything will be checked with multimeters before it goes anywhere near a motorised chassis!

• Like 1

Well my first package was supposed to arrive today. So I was tracking it, and then the site says "redirected to recipient's new address" - and I'm all such as O_O WHAT IS THIS? I have no redirection thing in, so I call them up... buddy on the phone looks it up, says oh, well what happened was that it got put on the wrong truck, and since there's no scan option saying "returning to sorting facility because put on wrong truck", postie picked "redirecting to new address" as the closest option and left a note and sent it back to the sorting centre and it'll be brought out tomorrow...

Reminds me of a Hungarian joke my dad told me, on how the comparison of the verb "stupid" goes like this: "stupid > stupider > stupidest > mailman > railwayman > policeman ... but if all the economists disappear, the cops will be the stupidest ones again" XD

• Like 4

Amazon does this now and then in similar ways and will show silly messages and say at the same time it's been delivered even when the error message is clearly show it can be delivered! No one up and down the system will admit the reason is there are not the right codes for drivers to use and try to give you a big story until you reach the sipatcher and they give you the straight dope you got from yours! I've been told I never ordered the item, my business was closed for the weekend (it's a house and it was a weekday), I must have it as they system says I do, or you live at this address when I don't, I requested an address change, etc. It amazes me as Amazon is so into streamlining every thing in its system and is willing to freak you out something going horribly wrong when its as simple as adding a code to the system that just says whoops we blew it and it's on the wrong truck and we will get it there tommorow! 

jeff

• Like 1

I've just got the first order in a long time. SAL just took 10 days.

large.IMG_1393.JPG.a683c716ab7f5296cae32ccab2a91a20.JPG

Half of the order are tools I badly need. Then the Greenmax factory which will be sure bashed into a Tsurumi line module. The Kuhoma 12 is in my avatar so I felt I needed one even I already have a Kumoha 11. 

large.IMG_1396.JPG.3e4efb37311d24e26ccadbc80f236954.JPGlarge.IMG_1395.JPG.6f6f9eec6c399d4603d18cd21fcf645c.JPG

I also got my first Tomytec trucks and containers.

• Like 8

Yesterday afternoon my ordered Kokis arrived from Nariichi (Kato 10-1432 + 10-1433). I do not need to upload any pictures, you already have enough here :-P I was surprised that a carriage with train lighting was included in the set.

Edited by lighthouse

Ordered a small pile of electronic oddments from China which might well turn into a rechargable PWM controller, assuming prototyping doesn't cause smoke or disturbing heat levels. Key parts are some battery charger modules as found in phone power banks and a PWM control board designed to take inputs between 1.8v and 35v DC. It will only have a 5v output but that should get a Tomytec moving.

Actually you can get really decent performance out of an off the shelf 2A usb power bank with a 12V booster converter and a pwm board. (2A, so after the 12V boost converter, you still get around 700mA of usable drive power)

Edited by kvp
1 hour ago, kvp said:

Actually you can get really decent performance out of an off the shelf 2A usb power bank with a 12V booster converter and a pwm board. (2A, so after the 12V boost converter, you still get around 700mA of usable drive power)

Plan B then! I know I can get 1.2ah rated cells for a pound each if I buy cheap power banks which use them. I picked up a tiny 400mah one yesterday as well. I'll try 5v first and see how it goes, as I won't need a booster circuit that way and the current draw should be lower. TBH I'd rather do that than buy cells from ebay as these will have gone through some sort of standards testing to be sold legally in shops.

Hello,

I see the kokis are very popular :)

So today arrived my two package from HS, first box a little unitrack and the other box of course kokis :) three from the kato 2 car sets.

And my entire koki fleet. Tomix and kato mixed 104/106/107. At now just I need a lot of containers.

IMG_20171124_163033.thumb.jpg.c567f6e5a463138610f0d84afd73aa5b.jpgIMG_20171124_162808.thumb.jpg.3d9b50c658e816296cf143f3ca5e901f.jpgIMG_20171124_163114.thumb.jpg.b9d3662c9c4c9a369cca8e13d6a7ddb2.jpg

br.

Coromant

• Like 9

And it's arrived! :D

A C11, two ToRa90000s, a level crossing, the suburban station accessories package, and a lettering set - nominally for ToRa70000s, but the numbers are the right size to renumber other cars, too.

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

• Like 10
11 hours ago, Pashina12 said:

All dolled up but no rails to go...

20171124_150454.jpg

That's pretty much my life right now, too!

I'd have to admit she does look nice, even without rails!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Pashina12 said:

All dolled up but no rails to go...

20171124_150454.jpg

I ve just recieved the same one from serotta,I love it.appologies for slightly blurred photo but it was moving at the time.26CF21B9-E808-4F6D-8C6B-F3700221C34F.thumb.png.fba1c887e2b9f44e528ea62df66e89b0.png

• Like 7
3 hours ago, Pauljag900 said:

I ve just recieved the same one from serotta,I love it.appologies for slightly blurred photo but it was moving at the time.26CF21B9-E808-4F6D-8C6B-F3700221C34F.thumb.png.fba1c887e2b9f44e528ea62df66e89b0.png

All that's missing is 鉄道ジャーナル from the top corner. SL Special!

My friend just got back from Japan so went for ramen with him, he brought me back three magazines, latest issues of Railway Pictorial and DJ鉄道ダイヤ情報 (Railway Timetable Information), and best of all the Autumn 2017 issue of jtrain, "Era of the New Blue Train"... wow this one is made of awesome. Train compositions, lots of great pictures, everything you wanted to know about these trains... even some recipes from the dining car (I'll probably end up trying the fried oyster with lemon, and the chicken rice). My favourite part of this magazine though is this big section (10 pages) on passenger cars of the 1950s/60s. A nice chunk of pre-war stuff, too, in the back. Lots of really cool stuff... this was my first time seeing this particular periodical and I'm well impressed... I'll defs be looking out for future issues of jtrain for interesting content cuz I think based on this I can expect the articles will be pretty good.

• Like 2
On 11/25/2017 at 12:55 AM, Coromant said:

And my entire koki fleet. Tomix and kato mixed 104/106/107. At now just I need a lot of containers.

Oh boy don't get started on the containers. And if you do stay away from ISO tank containers, eventually you'll have a koki with 4 times its price of container on it! Runtec containers are addicting too...

I know this in kind of the wrong thread for this. For all those old and new Koki owners, there’s a nice big section on container traffic in the December issue of Nine Scale World Magazine. (Vol. 97) It has 5 pages of who produces which containers and I thought the loading guide, although mostly common sense, might help you make your fleets more realistic.

Staying on topic,

I picked up the Tomix Eneos Gas station as well as the first 2 issues of Rail Magazine Archives. Not that I can read them but a huge abundance of great reference photos for a lot of stock that no longer runs.

BC27B1A3-E79B-415E-B53F-D6A91E960B45.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Das Steinkopf
7 minutes ago, Philphil said:

The big question of the day is... Do I really want to spend 11,000 Yen on four 2-packs of tank containers...?...

Trust me you will.

44 minutes ago, Kamome said:

I know this in kind of the wrong thread for this. For all those old and new Koki owners, there’s a nice big section on container traffic in the December issue of Nine Scale World Magazine. (Vol. 97) It has 5 pages of who produces which containers and I thought the loading guide, although mostly common sense, might help you make your fleets more realistic.

BC27B1A3-E79B-415E-B53F-D6A91E960B45.jpeg

Any chance you could put a copy of the listing up for us, I am pretty much fine with who produces which container etc, but I think it would be great for a lot of other members who are thinking about taking the plunge into the murky world of JRF and private owner container stock.

59 minutes ago, Das Steinkopf said:

Trust me you will.

Darn it! I might as well buy them now... And while I'm at it, maybe it's also time to pick up a couple of those Tomytec busses...

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Philphil said:

Darn it! I might as well buy them now... And while I'm at it, maybe it's also time to pick up a couple of those Tomytec busses...

Well it did nt take you long to decide buddy👍😂😂😂

2 hours ago, Philphil said:

The big question of the day is... Do I really want to spend 11,000 Yen on four 2-packs of tank containers...?...

Yes... it is inevitable