What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Weirdly I had a conversation about containers with a friend who's also into Japanese cars. Apparently you can buy a 40ft container and have it shipped (loaded with two Skylines and whatever rare parts you could fit in the remaining space), then sell the container on when you've emptied it.

I'd love a couple of the storage boxes styled like JR Freight containers, but the price plus postage is ridiculous.

They would make a great storage shed! Anchor it down well and it could double as a tornado/hurricane shelter!

getting it into the backyard could also get expensive with the crane hoisting it over the house! 

I guess you could go over to japan and go at it with a torch and some hinges so it could fold up like those train boxes!

jeff

Did actually say to my friend that if he ever got the urge to import a car I'm claiming the boot space in transit. Pretty safe location to ship a load of N scale!

• Like 1
Das Steinkopf

I received my order from MTP today using DHL, yet another record delivery taking 47 hours from being picked up at Nariichi’s store to my front door. As the saying goes you can never have enough Koki’s, I had to grab a few more Hogaraka Dou containers as well to go with them. The JRF DE10 will be the last one of this class to join my fleet as I already have the other two JRF units, I will be numbering her as DE10-1165 which I got to see at Inazawa when I was there in April. I won’t be adding any more diesels to my fleet in the near future unless someone decides to bring out a DF200-200 or a DD200.

4DA25A6D-4382-4F27-A89E-6AB1AB203B18.jpeg

66CB35CE-EDAB-43A4-8296-9C7335CEB8DD.jpeg

• Like 7

My second SaHaShi 165 arrived and joined the fleet (the six car core set is in another case):

The extra SaHaShi will probably spend a lot of time in my 153 Series set for now, but I've seen diagrams on Wikipedia for 153s and 165s with a SaHaShi-SaRo-SaRo-SaHaShi formation in the middle. The 165 Series diagram had three KuMoHa-MoHa-KuHa sets with the extra trailers coupled between two of them, interesting as that's more like one and a sixth trailers per power car instead of the usual 1:1 ratio.

• Like 4

Sometimes you come across these weird auctions that are just perfect. I wanted to get a 583 Series, but didn't want to shell out for a Tomix HG set, so a Kato set was my target. I wanted an N1/N2 formation, but that'd require the combining of an older base set and two extra cars, or having one more recent set with a spare car. However, this particular project passed the revue which was won for practically peanuts:

5a0c3b27699fe_2017-11-1522_00_44.thumb.jpg.35861121a37d36a3c0534e9272112713.jpg

Added custom logos, car numbers and contemporary headmarks ('School Express', 'Rapid', 'Group' and 'Special'), tight couplers, etc. This 6-car set was made in just the right Akita based N1/N2 formation! Of course, detailing is not on par with a Tomix HG, but for the price, I'm not complaining :)

As far as classic Tōhoku JNR/JR Ltd. Express rolling stock goes, I'm quite satisfied... For now... 

• Like 9
On 11/14/2017 at 7:39 AM, gavino200 said:

Sorry to hear that. Since having a wreck like that once, I've been using plexi-glass borders around the layout. They're fairly subtle and save a lot of heartache.

I'll like to throw in one more idea or actually two. It's always a good thing to leave a bit of crash space between the nearest track and the edge of the layout, it could even contain some crash safe scenery, like a sturdy fence or some bushes. If it's a home layout you can add a narrow table with a small edge, slightly lower than the layout, partially to hold the controls, to have a space to unpack/pack your trains and as a low height difference catch area for anything that might happen to fall off.

Imho plexiglass is good, as long as you don't try to take pictures. If there is a flash involved, it will be completly unusable. But it's good as a stopgap measure and for those edges that are usually not between you and the layout. 

8 hours ago, Das Steinkopf said:

I received my order from MTP today using DHL, yet another record delivery taking 47 hours from being picked up at Nariichi’s store to my front door. As the saying goes you can never have enough Koki’s, I had to grab a few more Hogaraka Dou containers as well to go with them. The JRF DE10 will be the last one of this class to join my fleet as I already have the other two JRF units, I will be numbering her as DE10-1165 which I got to see at Inazawa when I was there in April. I won’t be adding any more diesels to my fleet in the near future unless someone decides to bring out a DF200-200 or a DD200.

4DA25A6D-4382-4F27-A89E-6AB1AB203B18.jpeg

66CB35CE-EDAB-43A4-8296-9C7335CEB8DD.jpeg

Those are some nice Kokis! Very tempting...

For these particular cars, do you have to exclusively put Kato containers on to Kato cars, or are you also able to load Tomix/other brands of containers onto them? Is that also true with Tomix cars, only being able to put tomix containers on to them?

2 hours ago, kvp said:

I'll like to throw in one more idea or actually two. It's always a good thing to leave a bit of crash space between the nearest track and the edge of the layout, it could even contain some crash safe scenery, like a sturdy fence or some bushes. If it's a home layout you can add a narrow table with a small edge, slightly lower than the layout, partially to hold the controls, to have a space to unpack/pack your trains and as a low height difference catch area for anything that might happen to fall off.

Imho plexiglass is good, as long as you don't try to take pictures. If there is a flash involved, it will be completly unusable. But it's good as a stopgap measure and for those edges that are usually not between you and the layout. 

I agree about taking pictures. My plexi is only about 1 inch high. But the best pictures are take very close to the table to give a scale "spectator level" perspective. The glass does interfere. But my layout is very short on real "modelling". At this stage I don't think anyone would want to see pictures of it. 

I agree a wide margin between track and layout edge, as well as a wide ledge would be superior. I assume some day I'll upgrade to a bigger layout. I'll take that into account then. :)

24 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

I agree about taking pictures. My plexi is only about 1 inch high. But the best pictures are take very close to the table to give a scale "spectator level" perspective. The glass does interfere. But my layout is very short on real "modelling". At this stage I don't think anyone would want to see pictures of it. 

I agree a wide margin between track and layout edge, as well as a wide ledge would be superior. I assume some day I'll upgrade to a bigger layout. I'll take that into account then. :)

People will always want to see pics  buddy,we all realise it’s work in progress for all of us,get some up👍👍😀😂😂

• Like 1

Picked up a Greenmax 46-6 kit on ebay, a kit which I dearly miss. The box is a little battered but the kit is good and the price was good.

IMG_5618 800 x 600.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 6

During my last holidays in Japan I managed to buy the Tomix Track cleaning Car. I had to check various shops until a new shop in Matsumoto had one in stock. It seems that stocks are quickly dwindling...
Also bought the Kato ED75-700 to pull the cleaning car. In due course I'll need to get myself a whole bunch of Koki freight cars and containers!

IMG_4151.jpg

• Like 4
1 minute ago, JanW said:

During my last holidays in Japan I managed to buy the Tomix Track cleaning Car. I had to check various shops until a new shop in Matsumoto had one in stock. It seems that stocks are quickly dwindling...

Tomix track cleaning cars are very common. Except when you want to get the special edition, like you now have the transparent edition. Tomix tends to re-release them all the time in different liveries, which differ in price in the second hand market. For example I got my TOMIX 40 year anniversary for 24 euro, but the ordinary blue one for 45 euro, both brand new. (Yes I do not understand it either)

7 hours ago, Kabutoni said:

As far as classic Tōhoku JNR/JR Ltd. Express rolling stock goes, I'm quite satisfied... For now... 

Now going for a 455 series?

JNR rolling stock sure is interesting... I've always been thinking about getting some iconic JNR trains. I always prevented myself from getting into it though, because I know it would be just a matter of time before it will turn into yet another addiction subcollection.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
11 hours ago, Philphil said:

Those are some nice Kokis! Very tempting...

For these particular cars, do you have to exclusively put Kato containers on to Kato cars, or are you also able to load Tomix/other brands of containers onto them? Is that also true with Tomix cars, only being able to put tomix containers on to them?

Generally you can fit any type of container on any koki, some may be a bit snug or loose though. There are a few exceptions, the Popondetta ISO containers seem to fit much easier to Tomix kokis and the Tetsudo Musume containers don't really seem to fit well on anything. Hogarakadou UM14s can be a pain to fit properly but they're out of production now and exactly a super common type of container. 

Also be careful if you get older Platz containers (especially UF24s), they're cast pretty heavy and don't have any give coming on or off a koki. There's a reason I put them all on my earlier Kato koki-104s that are the wrong shade of blue. 

Small parcel from Ami, mainly for the DE10-1152 Kinokuni Seaside Liner... I like the color of it, and do hope it wins so that we can also get the carriages!

20171114_144234.jpg

20171114_144241.jpg

20171114_144317.jpg

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Densha said:

IIRC you said you weren't going to get ki-bo? ;)

Haha you remembered!   ;)

Yeah I wasn't going to, but it was screaming out at me, sitting in the bargains section.... poor Ki-bo...