What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

I received the Kato Train, I bought from rbauma03.

DORfhZ8X0AAbDOP.thumb.jpg.7ae059325614f60469032965ea092cc9.jpg
Great model! I'm really starting to love those old commuter EMUs.
It's cool seeing my old set in a new place.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Several things I ordered came all at once. Tomix Kiha40-1700, Tomix Kiha261 and a Tomix EF64-0.

Overall I am pleased with all of them. The Kiha261 has a minor detail of the section around the headlights being white instead of black. I'll have to take some paint to it when I have some time. The Kiha40 makes a slight buzzing sound, I'm hoping it will go away with some run time.d0accb38b108d4f7d1a787fa50c54711.jpgcc36b3fc71e0b243c5d7ebdf13bd4301.jpgb137306204968bf92b584fedd6c5b2d1.jpg

• Like 7

Well, this is weird.

The coach I bought on ebay arrived. It's not, in fact, a KuHa 111 as in the description. It's a SaRo 110 as in the photo! It's also Tomix in a Kato box (for the correct type). Not unhappy as I can still use it somewhere, it's Shonan and can either run with my 111 Series or with the KuMoYas.

The seller has another identical listing at the moment with the same photo which mentions the item not being in the original box, so I may have a bid on the gamble that it's the other half of the mixed up box and contents.

8 hours ago, rbauma03 said:

Several things I ordered came all at once. Tomix Kiha40-1700, Tomix Kiha261 and a Tomix EF64-0.

Overall I am pleased with all of them. The Kiha261 has a minor detail of the section around the headlights being white instead of black. I'll have to take some paint to it when I have some time. The Kiha40 makes a slight buzzing sound, I'm hoping it will go away with some run time.

I have a few Tomix models, mostly kihas.  It seems like the buzzing is pretty common.  It seems to be dependent on the model, as I have a few of the same type and only half of them buzz.  I wonder if using a tomix powerpack would help.

23 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

I have a few Tomix models, mostly kihas.  It seems like the buzzing is pretty common.  It seems to be dependent on the model, as I have a few of the same type and only half of them buzz.  I wonder if using a tomix powerpack would help.

That's interesting, I've got a Tomix EF66 which makes a buzzing noise at lower speeds using a Kato controller; with a Tomix controller it's very smooth and quiet.

9 hours ago, rbauma03 said:

Overall I am pleased with all of them. The Kiha261 has a minor detail of the section around the headlights being white instead of black. I'll have to take some paint to it when I have some time. The Kiha40 makes a slight buzzing sound, I'm hoping it will go away with some run time.d0accb38b108d4f7d1a787fa50c54711.jpgcc36b3fc71e0b243c5d7ebdf13bd4301.jpgb137306204968bf92b584fedd6c5b2d1.jpg

Love, love, LOVE that Kiha 261! I've never seen that paint scheme before!

• Like 1

I was familiar with the Kiha 261 in the blue front paint scheme but it wasn't until I saw the updated purple and white paint that I had to have one.

My personal opinion is that the prototype would be a lot sharper if the car bodies were primarily white instead of gray, but I still love the new paint scheme.

That's interesting, I've got a Tomix EF66 which makes a buzzing noise at lower speeds using a Kato controller; with a Tomix controller it's very smooth and quiet.

That is interesting. The Kiha40 itself runs smoothly. It just has that buzzing noise at certain speeds that I've been trying to convince myself is going away with more run time. I was considering giving it a drop of oil, but the buzz seems more electrical than mechanical.

I will trying switching controllers. Though I only have 3 MRC controllers. I don't own any Kato or Tomix controllers. Maybe I'll get one when I have a chance.
12 minutes ago, rbauma03 said:

That is interesting. The Kiha40 itself runs smoothly. It just has that buzzing noise at certain speeds that I've been trying to convince myself is going away with more run time. I was considering giving it a drop of oil, but the buzz seems more electrical than mechanical.

I also have a Tomix 169 series which has the buzz in one direction, I disassembled/reassembled it at one point and it went away for a while, but it's still intermittently there, though basically it runs fine even on the Kato controller. All other Tomix models are fine, regardless of controller.

47 minutes ago, rbauma03 said:

I will trying switching controllers. Though I only have 3 MRC controllers. I don't own any Kato or Tomix controllers. Maybe I'll get one when I have a chance.

I am also using some MRC controllers, I tested them on an oscilloscope last year and it turns out they output unfiltered DC.  I suspect this may be the cause of the buzz, while the PWM of the tomix controller seems to be fine.  Hopefully the new Kato controller will also fix the problem.

20170131_140748.thumb.jpg.12445aae8936ea8ed5f9a857f80a387e.jpg

1 hour ago, Kiha66 said:

I am also using some MRC controllers, I tested them on an oscilloscope last year and it turns out they output unfiltered DC.  I suspect this may be the cause of the buzz, while the PWM of the tomix controller seems to be fine.  Hopefully the new Kato controller will also fix the problem.

I think this is intentional and called pulse power. The Tomix PWM signal is also pulsed, but it's a much higher frequency square wave made with FET transistors, not an amplitude modulated plain 100/120 Hz half sinus. (a ~8 msec pulse width means you have 60 Hz AC power)

501FED99-793F-4A56-8F04-251827E44130.thumb.jpeg.7734c582ee444b867622fbcf9489a620.jpegNothing special I guess,just some more micro LED s and very thin wire for the fair ride lighting(when I get that far) the diference with these is that they have a 12v resistor and flashing unit built in,but it s more of a slight pulse than a flash!  So I ll still be connecting mine to a flasher unit.

Also got some better quality roadway,i was never happy with the cheap stuff i d used but I already had it so used it.Got me some Busch town roadway with built in paths,grid covers and manholes also printed on it,far better.

852BCC6C-B2B2-4162-85AC-79392373B62E.thumb.jpeg.e05054923d733f309f887c59a0a1d3e0.jpeg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, railsquid said:

Oh wow! That's definitely worth a try with a Tomix KiHa 40 I have that suffers from the electrical noise problem. The buzz is incredibly loud with both the Kato controller and a 9V battery, but maybe PWM could solve it.

Wow, I got the same Issue with my Tomix KiHa 187. With my old Fleischmann controller without PWM/etc. it is the only one making this noise. With the newer Fleischmann controller that has Half Wave rectification (not sure how it translates into english) my other Tomix trains as well as a Piko Talent 2 make the same noise, albeit much quieter.

Had my first major train wreck today...

As I was hastily leaving the house, I managed to knock my Kato 655-series off of the track and off of the table, since the cars have those nice tight couplers, when the first car went off... Well, it was quite the domino effect!

Long story short is that it's time for me to order new parts!

• Sad 3

I think i heard the AAARRRRRGGGGGG $#@!%!!!!! from here. Sorry to hear about that, not fun at all, but happened to many of us in various ways. 

take some time on the floor with a flashlight to see what you can find.

Good luck on repairs!

jeff

Edited by cteno4

Another pre-order parcel came in from Ami...

The M250! I do hope this is the ONLY cargo train I will get... The nice colors on this train and unique features just made me need to get this once I saw it came out on pre-orders....

Throw in a Tetsudo collection Kintetsu 9000 series that was in the bargains bin and 2 sensor cords for my automatic crossing...

20171111_113116.jpg

20171111_113126.jpg

20171111_113214.jpg

20171111_113325.jpg

20171111_113629.jpg

20171111_113914.jpg

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Philphil said:

Had my first major train wreck today...

As I was hastily leaving the house, I managed to knock my Kato 655-series off of the track and off of the table, since the cars have those nice tight couplers, when the first car went off... Well, it was quite the domino effect!

Long story short is that it's time for me to order new parts!

Sorry to hear that. Since having a wreck like that once, I've been using plexi-glass borders around the layout. They're fairly subtle and save a lot of heartache.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, SirYamanote said:

3699f92101fa50f582d454782e31a8d6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one of these on order. A little X-mass present for myself and the boy. I can't wait!!!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gavino200 said:

I have one of these on order. A little X-mass present for myself and the boy. I can't wait!!!!

Yes it is darlingly cute!

20171107_145404.jpg

• Like 2

I ran the Kiha40 with a different MRC and there was a lot less buzzing noise. I've been needing at least one extra controller to run the yard on the layout. I'll get a Kato or Tomix controller soon. It never occurred to me that a controller could cause such an issue.
8 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Sorry to hear that. Since having a wreck like that once, I've been using plexi-glass borders around the layout. They're fairly subtle and save a lot of heartache.

That's a very good idea! I'm actually going to have to try that one of these days!