What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Ha! Good work squid! Life! life! let my creation have life! Sorry the wilder side got ahold of me...

MA does a lot of models with the puzzle box approach sadly. 

Phil,

It can be frustrating, but I always do enjoy fiddling with trains like this. It's all about practice, patience, and just diving in. I've broken a few things while trying to repair them, but then have alsways either fixed my mistake or gotten the parts to replace the busted bit. In the long run I've found it way more rewarding to be able to try to fix things than not trying and it's saved me loads of money over the years for myself and other clib members! It's worth diving in and trying. 

One way to get started is buy a couple of dead or funky engines cheap on ebay or at a local train show. Then tear these down and try to rebuild them into working order. The process will really teach you a lot about how the basics of the electrical pathway, gear train, motor, chassis disassembly, etc This works even if not exactly like your Japanese trains as the basics are all the same. The big thing is it just hones your manipulative skills and gives you confidence in going at things. Also teaches you how to and not to do things w.o dire consequences! Also helps you learn what are the best tools for each step and build up your repair tool box.

i was lucky as I grew up with a father that was always building and fixing things, so you always just went at it! He was a ship captain and at sea if anything breaks you can't just pull in and have it fixed you have to get it done then and there on your own! Also grew up next to a metal scrap yard so everyday I would drag some odd part back to the shop and tear it apart or go to the scrapyard with pliers, wrench, and screwdrivers and disassemble something. Always great fun and I think one of the best things I have ever learned in life as it's applicable in soooo many ways. Starting out at age 11 in n scale I started with 4 or 5 very early Lima, atlas, Bachman, and minitrix engines and a bunch of funky atlas sectional track a family friend bought for me at a yard sale. I had to constantly tear these engines apart to get them working and keep them running. Was a wonderful way to start the hobby. Most engines these days are a totally different world in quality and engineering, although those old ones used screws to go together so it was easier to take them apart dozens of times as opposed the current mostly clip together systems which you need to take care in gently prying them apart.

cheers

jeff

Just ordered a Kato EF81-400 Kyushu varient loco for 3940 yen new.

After last months travels in around Kyushu. I noticed that the freight around the island is still hauled by the older pink locos.

So I go on Mandarake to see if they have any cheap ones.  ED76-0 and EF81-400 they both had for 4500 yen old shop stock, (so window stock I think).  Checked AmiAmi and they have the  EF81-400 for 3940 yen 49% off.  Which technically is 41% off.  Win! :)

59dfe70fcf18b_kato3066-5.jpg.fadd2dc4b021f76a2344e0eb60d7b201.jpg

Hopefully shipping is around 680 yen.  So I should walk away with a loco shipped to home for around $55 AUD.

And if I wanna go a bit retro.  I can pull some blue cars behind it and MAke a Sakura/Fuji style 70s/80s consist.

Still probably get the ED76-0 for 4500 yen new week if Mandarake still have it.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 2

Nice find kato!  I've been tempted by the red electrics Kyushu, but they were all gone from Nagasaki by the time I went there so I've managed to hold off for now.  I really like how detailed the roof is on these ones. 

46 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Nice find kato!  I've been tempted by the red electrics Kyushu, but they were all gone from Nagasaki by the time I went there so I've managed to hold off for now.  I really like how detailed the roof is on these ones. 

I saw heaps between Fukuoka and Tosu, and also down in Kagoshima.  So no idea why you saw none at Nagasaki.

I also noted they (JRF in Kyushu) are still using Koki 100/101s, 102/103s, 104s, 106s and 50,000s.  not many 107s yet.  While in Kansai and Kanto, all the 104s and 106s I saw in 2014 have just about disappeared, with mainly 107s running the tracks.

Edited by katoftw
Das Steinkopf
8 hours ago, Philphil said:

Would you guys suggest that I jump down the slippery slope of collecting JR Freight or no? It's mighty tempting...

Regardless of what era you model you will end up with a heap of rolling stock, the JNR period has quite a diverese range of wagon and van types whilst contemporyary JRF is mainly confined to Koki's and Taki's, some private owner Hoki's are also used but they are only in certain regions where the private owners are based and ship to.

Das Steinkopf
1 hour ago, katoftw said:

After last months travels in around Kyushu. I noticed that the freight around the island is still hauled by the older pink locos.

So I go on Mandarake to see if they have any cheap ones.  ED76-0 and EF81-400 they both had for 4500 yen old shop stock, (so window stock I think).  Checked AmiAmi and they have the  EF81-400 for 3940 yen 49% off.  Which technically is 41% off.  Win! :)

Hopefully shipping is around 680 yen.  So I should walk away with a loco shipped to home for around $55 AUD.

And if I wanna go a bit retro.  I can pull some blue cars behind it and MAke a Sakura/Fuji style 70s/80s consist.

The EF81's make a great subject to model as there are so many variants and liveries, I got to see a number of variants in the classic JNR AC locomotive Rose livery as well as an EF81-400 in Blue and White, I also got to see EF81-303 the sole surviving stainless steel model down at Kagoshima when I was there in April. I will note however that the EF81-600's as well as the ED76-1000's were in decline due to the introduction of the EH500's to the Kita Kyushu area. 

34613298341_39a7b577b4_z_d.jpg

34582058162_de80e4e261_z_d.jpg

Edited by Das Steinkopf
22 minutes ago, katoftw said:

I saw heaps between Fukuoka and Tosu, and also down in Kagoshima.  So no idea why you saw none at Nagasaki.

After the end of the blue trains and the demise of the Nagasaki freight yard, I don't think there is much reason for them to venture down there.   The whole line is now DMU for the Omura line portion, and EMU for everything else.  Sasebo station was redeveloped around 2001, removing the large freight yard and severing the connection to the shipyards and navy base.  The yard tracks at Nagasaki station were still there in 2015, but they are now all gone as JR Kyushu is building a new smaller elevated station where the fright yard was, and then redeveloping the whole land where the station once stood.

Jeff,

Thank you for your kind words of wisdom! All of you guys seem to have quite a bit of knowledge about your equipment, and that's very good!

Of course my big problem now is what happens when you have enough rolling stock to fill all the track on your layout?

I'd post a picture of my mess, but I don't really know how... Haha.

~Phillip 

• Haha 1

I'll admit to probably having more footage of trains then track, but with the great storage bookcases, at least its a little easier to hide how many you have.  I just won a few suha43 coaches from buyee, and a few more baggage cars.  Now I'm debating getting a kato C59 for some Kure line commuter and luggage trains.

Phil,

You will get there in time once you play with them for a while and start fiddling, really its the only way to learn. there are some pictures and diagrams that can help along with input from others, but its mostly just fiddling yourself.

i think most of us here are guilty of having more feet of train than feet of track! thats the problem with Japanese trains, way to much variety and interesting ones that just wears down the resistance... I shutter to think how much track i would need for all my trains! Japanese manufactures are smart, put the train sets in nice bookshelf cases so you can easily store them but get them out fast! 

cheers

jeff

Das Steinkopf
2 hours ago, katoftw said:

I also noted they (JRF in Kyushu) are still using Koki 100/101s, 102/103s, 104s, 106s and 50,000s.  not many 107s yet.  While in Kansai and Kanto, all the 104s and 106s I saw in 2014 have just about disappeared, with mainly 107s running the tracks.

There are still plenty of Koki 100-101, 102-103, 104 and 106’s running around Honshu, I got to see plenty of them when I was there especially around Nagoya. I even got to see a set of Koki 105’s when I was coming back from the SC Maglev Park. I am kicking myself as I had taken a number of pictures of the yard and then decided to put the camera away as I thought how many photos do I need of same type of Koki’s that I already had ample photos of, and then the Koki 105’s appeared, oh well at least I got to see them. With the Koki 50000’s they tended to show up in the more far flung places such as Toyama and Shiminoseki, I didn’t see any around Aichi, Kanto or Kansai Prefectures.

Edited by Das Steinkopf
8 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Ha! Good work squid! Life! life! let my creation have life! Sorry the wilder side got ahold of me...

MA does a lot of models with the puzzle box approach sadly. 

Phil,

It can be frustrating, but I always do enjoy fiddling with trains like this. It's all about practice, patience, and just diving in. I've broken a few things while trying to repair them, but then have alsways either fixed my mistake or gotten the parts to replace the busted bit. In the long run I've found it way more rewarding to be able to try to fix things than not trying and it's saved me loads of money over the years for myself and other clib members! It's worth diving in and trying. 

One way to get started is buy a couple of dead or funky engines cheap on ebay or at a local train show. Then tear these down and try to rebuild them into working order. The process will really teach you a lot about how the basics of the electrical pathway, gear train, motor, chassis disassembly, etc This works even if not exactly like your Japanese trains as the basics are all the same. The big thing is it just hones your manipulative skills and gives you confidence in going at things. Also teaches you how to and not to do things w.o dire consequences! Also helps you learn what are the best tools for each step and build up your repair tool box.

Yup, I started out with an old Kato loco (an EF65, dating from the early 80s as far as I can tell), luckily older 2nd hand locos in poor condition are dirt cheap in Japan, took it apart step-by-step and it's now a nice reliable  runner.

Essential tools:

- camera (or smartphone) to take pictures of each step so you can work out how to put it back together

- selection of small screwdrivers

- pincer/tweezer to pick up/manipulate parts

- sealable container and/or small ziplock bag to store the parts in so they don't get lost

- strong torch to locate parts which do get lost

- 9v battery with attached leads to test connections

A third hand would come in very useful sometimes...

The Internet can be very useful when looking for pictures/blog articles as plenty of people document their repair/modification attempts.

These work great to store small parts in when working. Rounded bottom make it easy to use your finger tip to then fish them out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2xCrystal-Plastic-Cup-Dappen-Dish-Arcylic-Nail-Art-Liquid-Powder-Lid-Nail-Tool-/192162711543?var=&hash=item2cbdca47f7:g:6MoAAOSwvKtY9vgl

these little guys also work well for parts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-10pcs-Clear-1-5ml-Plastic-Graduated-Cryovial-Lab-Test-Tubes-Sample-Hot-/322655149383?hash=item4b1fbedd47:g:pi8AAOSwM4xXaOk~

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-20-50-100x-5ml-Chemistry-Plastic-Test-Tubes-Vials-Seal-Caps-Pack-ContainerLA-/292218433051?var=&hash=item4409936e1b:g:KKMAAOSww9xZE0C7

also a piece of black valour fabric from the fabric store remnant bin is great to cover your work surface as if you drop a small part or screw the valour will stop it from bouncing off the table! Als just nice soft surface to rest your engine shells on rather than scratch it on something hard on the work surface.

A little test power supply is really handy. Pretty inexpensive for s simple one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15V-1A-DC-Power-Supply-Variable-Regulated-Digital-Precision-Test-Equipment-Phone-/181209183477?epid=1310241111&hash=item2a30e8b4f5:g:EE8AAOSwZr9ZqRrJ

cheers

jeff

8 hours ago, katoftw said:

Shipping was 380 yen.  So $51 AUD. :)

• Like 2

From what I've seen, a lot of you seem to have a nice collection of busses, so has anyone seen an N-scale model of a Zushi-area bus?

41 minutes ago, Philphil said:

From what I've seen, a lot of you seem to have a nice collection of busses, so has anyone seen an N-scale model of a Zushi-area bus?

Zushi-shi is mainly served by Keikyū buses, but I wouldn't be surprised if Enoden Bus and Kanachū also had one or two lines serving the town. Enoden has a bus service all the way to Yokohama as well, so why not Zushi? :P

I had been looking to add an EF64-0 to my collection. I couldn't spend the ~$130+ they are listed for on ebay these days. I just learned about modeltrainplus through the forum and found an EF64-0 in stock at good price.

Ordered Tomix 9101 EF64-0

I would have liked the Tomix 9102 seventh edition variant but I'm still excited to get my hands on the Tomix 9101.

tomix-9101_large.jpg?v=1401164861

• Like 3

Quick question: On my relatively new Tomix Hakone Tozan 2000 series I spotted a sharply defined area, where the paint is much thicker and in a slightly different tone/shine. Is this a “manufacturing defect” or is it supposed to look that way? 

DSC00177es.jpg

On 11/10/2017 at 10:48 AM, Kabutoni said:

As I was working on the base of my traverser, the Kato 10-119 (485 Series) came in. The traverser indeed *just* fits 6 cars...

IMG_20171011_154153.thumb.jpg.44b6dfd8608915b3338994ef68c47cee.jpg

The Kato model comes as KuHa-MoHa(p)-MoHa-SaRo-SaShi-KuHa setup, so it's an incomplete set. I will have to order an additional 2-car (MoHa(p) (4033) and MoHa (4035)) set for a realistic setup. Of course, it could run as a 4-car set, but I'd rather have a 6-car formation, as this is more realistic in my regard... Let's see if I can come across these older models for a reasonable price...

Sounds like my old 153 Series set, that came with the same formation. I run it with two additional MoHa pairs and a SaRo 163, despite the instructions being dated 1979 and the traction tyres being slices of heat shrink sleeving it has no trouble with the resulting eleven car set. Might add a SaHaShi 165 as one diagram I found showed a set with two restaurant cars, and I almost certainly won't find another SaHaShi 153. There isn't much external difference apart from bogies and numbering.

Good thing is I already ordered three (!) second hand unpowered MoHa 484 cars and am chasing two extra MoHa 485 cars. I only need one of either, but I guess the spare cars can be either used for donor purposes, or if they are in the right condition, for a longer formation. If all three MoHa 484s are in good condition, I'll probably get an equivalent of that in MoHa 485s as well to make a decent main line Ltd. Express that will never fit any layout I'll be building xD

One thing if you haven't already done so, fit the Kato tightlock couplers. Makes a huge difference to older models IMO.

Does yours have head and tail lights? The upgrade kit seems to be impossible to find now, and Model Train Plus have yet to make a suitable LED board for my 153.

I'm not sure if I'm going to upgrade this set after all is in. Eventually I want to get a Tomix HG 485 Series and probably resell or hand it down later. Because of the lack of space, I'd rather invest in detailed rolling stock, rather than size.

P.s. then again, with some dedication I think I can bring it onto par with a contemporary HG Tomix unit. Especially some red sections could use some light touching up, roof repaint, detailing metal parts, etc.

Edited by Kabutoni