What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

My Genbi and a lighting set arrived for MTP, it looks very atmospheric with the lighting installed, I was worried it wouldn't do much for the train. Also a 257-500 Series from Serrota and the Sonic 883 that's been hanging around my LHS. Finally also a book on railroad signalling, it's mainly based on the US model so I don't know how many parallels there are to Japan (though it seems there is some similarity in dwarf/shunt \

signals).

On 9/29/2017 at 9:47 PM, Kamome said:

I must admit, I do like the 651 series but this does look like it should have come with some matching fake nails. It’s a very detailed print but looks more like a ギャルの携帯 (gal‘s cellphone)

I’m sure all the other trains laugh at it!

Honestly this was my thought too. Despite being in my area of interest and having a stunning paint job it was just too much. The Genbi while even more lavish has a certain refinement too it, maybe it's the gloss black color.

augorder.jpg

• Like 10

I just won on Ebay a Kato 10-381Hokuetsu Express Series 681-2000 `Snow Rabit Express` (9-Car Set) for a great price and it's described as being like new.  Crossing my fingers that it will come as described.  Can't wait! But I missed getting a Tomix 92754 Odakyu Electric Railway Romance Car Series 50000 VSE (10-Car Set) by $10.  Oh well, 1 out of 2 isn't bad.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, serotta1972 said:

I just won on Ebay a Kato 10-381Hokuetsu Express Series 681-2000 `Snow Rabit Express` (9-Car Set) for a great price and it's described as being like new.  Crossing my fingers that it will come as described.  Can't wait! But I missed getting a Tomix 92754 Odakyu Electric Railway Romance Car Series 50000 VSE (10-Car Set) by $10.  Oh well, 1 out of 2 isn't bad.

Oh well what have I been missing on ebay man....

My Kato ED 62 arrived today and after admiring it for a few minutes eagerly took the shell off to see how easy it would be to fit DCC, but alas although the light board appears to match the dimensions of the DN163K4a decoder that fits the Glacier Express and others one of the LEDs is mounted in a different location, so it looks like the otherwise great looking ED62 will remain in its box for a while.

11 minutes ago, westfalen said:

My Kato ED 62 arrived today and after admiring it for a few minutes eagerly took the shell off to see how easy it would be to fit DCC, but alas although the light board appears to match the dimensions of the DN163K4a decoder that fits the Glacier Express and others one of the LEDs is mounted in a different location, so it looks like the otherwise great looking ED62 will remain in its box for a while.

Most kato Japan models require one light pipe to be trimmed before the shell fits over the decoder, its an unfortunate failing of whoever did the decoder design.    I usually just remove the light pipe on that side, so I can reinstall it if I want to switch it back to DC operation.  There's a Japanese company that makes decoders that fit as is, but I haven't been able to find if they ship overseas.

Just now, Kiha66 said:

Most kato Japan models require one light pipe to be trimmed before the shell fits over the decoder, its an unfortunate failing of whoever did the decoder design.    I usually just remove the light pipe on that side, so I can reinstall it if I want to switch it back to DC operation.  There's a Japanese company that makes decoders that fit as is, but I haven't been able to find if they ship overseas.

P.S. I just checked NGDCC http://www.snjpn.com/ngdcc/indexj.htm, I presume the company you are thinking of, he does ship overseas and I have several of his decoders. He just updated his website to say that his DE29x2_56 K decoder will fit the ED62 and is offering 20% off until the 7th, so looks like he might be getting an order from me.

• Like 1

Thanks!  Thats the one.  What has been your experience with them, I've been considering ordering some myself.  Does the ED62 use the the standard kato 3066 lightboard?

2 hours ago, westfalen said:

It seems someone already did a DN163K4a install in the ED62, it only takes a little modification to the underside of the shell it appears.

https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/mn583100/15179369.html

I did an impulse buy and got a Kanto Railway blue KiHa 350 series train:

IMG_20171004_140033.thumb.jpg.4a96f7f1c30738847b9126382df325bb.jpg

It's a custom model, made from a former Kato KiHa 35 with all the important details added (a/c, antennas, etc.), as well as the correct decals. Even though this was an impulse buy, I'm very happy with it!

• Like 6
6 hours ago, Densha said:

Is that Kanto Railway train a new model? Or was it released in the past?

It's a remodelled Kato KiHa35. Completely custom and a one-off. IIRC there was a small custom series of models released by Kanto Railway themselves, but these were quite expensive and very limited. The finishing on those would also have been a tad better, but I'm very happy with this fan tribute. Now, if only single car DMU from Kanto Railway became a thing... 

46 minutes ago, Densha said:

Yes, those are a few to look out for on auctions for me, but I mean more contemporary types that were in use for a bit longer than these (only the red and white/blue where in use up until last year). This blue 2-car KiHa 350 was in use until last year as well for public driving courses and the occasional mainline appearance.

Das Steinkopf

A mix of bits and pieces turned up the other day, I have finally got my hands on some Kuro Neko containers which adds more variety to my forever expanding collection. I also got a mix of TN and Kato knuckle couplers to rid my freight stock of those horrid Arnold couplers. There is also some trucks for a future Keihan Keishin project and one of the new Kato R481 curved girder deck bridge sections as well as some pillar extension sets that I have discussed the use of in an earlier post.

738C2332-AD97-4A21-9231-281E546513A0.jpeg

• Like 6
18 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

It seems someone already did a DN163K4a install in the ED62, it only takes a little modification to the underside of the shell it appears.

https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/mn583100/15179369.html

I've sent a decoder order to NGDCC since I didn't have a DN163K4a on hand anyway, ended up getting four while he has them on discount and then to use up the decoders ordered another ED62 and DE10 (can't have to many of those) and reserved the sealed beam headlight variant of the ED62.

Two deliveries in two day, I received yesterday (one month after shipping...) my three set of HoKi 800 and a big delivery today with Takkyubin KoKi 106, beautiful South Hokkaido Railway KiHa40 and a full set of KiHa 261 HET.

A lot of amusement in perspective this weekend :-)

IMG_20171004_203831.thumb.jpg.3146614200832cd345de96bad6532a65.jpg

IMG_20171006_154009.thumb.jpg.7bdac6d8350a099e10e71f8de51a436a.jpg

• Like 8

I've stayed away from the 103's knowing it comes is so many color variants that knowing myself, it would be difficult to have just one.  Well, how great is it
that Tomix came out with a model that has 5 different colors in one set.  Hopefully this will satisfy my need and I don't go buying complete trains in the different colors.

IMG_3245.thumb.jpeg.e25917fe0cd53f387be535b9be1581a5.jpegIMG_3246.thumb.jpeg.6939eba906f76237e9cf76a52e2425f4.jpegIMG_3247.thumb.jpeg.1ec851d6c5f478a8a6774ff9b735dc88.jpeg

• Like 13

This is a wonderful set, Junior.

I kinda really need a 103 series myself but I don't have that kind of money at the moment. I hope I can find something nice when I'm back in Japan.

(I'd actually really like a Hanwa line train but it looks like they're only made by Greenmax and not that widely available anymore.)

Nice set junior! I was sorely tempted by this set, but the price has held me back, but you are pushing temptation again!

jeff

trainhoarder

Two Oha 61s turned up today courtesy of loco1hobby. I couldn't be happier, for the price they were an absolute bargain. They look great with my EF57!

Next stop- Japanese steam...

• Like 2

What a neat model, I've been tempted by tomix's 103s only to turn away at the price, I fear seeing this one in the flesh may push me over the edge.  Looks like JR kept the two car pantograph+motor sets connected, and then just mixed the colors. 

50 minutes ago, Kabutoni said:

Interesting indeed! Such an outrageous idea to have two special formations running for just two days. Even more outrageous is the idea of producing a special release of a model of it! O_o

The most outrageous thing about it are the FOUR JR logos at the front of and rear!

• Haha 2