What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

@Bjorn: Nice to see you went for that little station as well.

Also, here's my late red friday contribution. A Tomix EH500 First Edition and some not so red Kato KiHa 110.

DIuOyg8W0AEfd1o.jpg

DIuPCnVXoAIrqTv.jpg

• Like 8

Cool Loco!   Is that the one that runs on the JR freight track via saikyo line?

One night back in 2006 I was walking the train tracks off Harajuku station at 2am and remember one of these freights just coming out of nowhere. moving slowly and quietly, red engine like this.   I sat down under a bridge and smoked a cigarette while watching this beautiful train slowly pass me.  Unforgettable moment!

• Like 1
On 9/2/2017 at 10:40 PM, Suica said:

@Bjorn: Nice to see you went for that little station as well.

Also, here's my late red friday contribution. A Tomix EH500 First Edition and some not so red Kato KiHa 110.

DIuOyg8W0AEfd1o.jpg

Is this the one that came in the fancy box with a sleeve? If so how does it run? 

On 2.9.2017 at 1:00 AM, serotta1972 said:

You can get a new foam insert that will fit all 8 cars, like this.

IMG_2570.thumb.JPG.8c714e9adcdd9df5ade792e9eef5a453.JPG

Hi, where i can find the 8car foam? :-)

Edited by lighthouse
6 hours ago, nah00 said:

Is this the one that came in the fancy box with a sleeve? If so how does it run? 

That's the one.

Took a while to get it going, since it probably lay in the boy for many years but now she's running nicely. A bit louder than recent Tomix locos but I guess that's to be expected.

Das Steinkopf

The pockets are feeling a bit emptier of late but my rolling stock box is filling up nicely, latest delivery came via DHL in less than 72 hours which also included the weekend. My insatiable appetite for Hogarakadou containers continues and I now have somewhere to store my Tomix Taki 1000's, also DR Tokai has arrived to perform some diagnostic tests.

IMG_7820.JPG

IMG_7821.JPG

IMG_7822.JPG

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Suica said:

That's the one.

Took a while to get it going, since it probably lay in the boy for many years but now she's running nicely. A bit louder than recent Tomix locos but I guess that's to be expected.

Hmm I suppose I can live with a bit more noise, the novelty of having the 'first' one is nice (I also recently got the Kato EF-210 1 so this would pair up nice with it. 

5 hours ago, Das Steinkopf said:

The pockets are feeling a bit emptier of late but my rolling stock box is filling up nicely, latest delivery came via DHL in less than 72 hours which also included the weekend. My insatiable appetite for Hogarakadou containers continues and I now have somewhere to store my Tomix Taki 1000's, also DR Tokai has arrived to perform some diagnostic tests.

IMG_7820.JPG

IMG_7821.JPG

IMG_7822.JPG

Did you find that the printing on the Loginet containers was a bit below Hogaradokou's normal standards? Also can't wait for my Takis to show up too. 

Martijn Meerts

I ordered a couple of more modules from the modular workshop system thingy (http://www.hobbyzone.pl/en/wsm/) as well as some paint and scenery stuff.

The paint is various shades of darker brown to try and get a good color for the tracks. I've used a custom mixed colour before which is pretty much perfect, but it's expensive and you never know when the guy decides to stop mixing the paint. It's also meant for airbrushing, and I don't really want to go through the trouble of cleaning the airbrush after painting 1 module worth of single track. I've now ordered a couple of Vallejo Model Color colours, 1 is the equivalent of Tamiya XF64 Red Brown which a lot of people use for track. The only reason I didn't order the Tamiya is that the shop I made this order at does't have a lot of Tamiya, but does have the entire Vallejo range.

The scenery kits are the Woodland Scenics river and waterfall learning kit. I've never done water before, so I figured this might be a good start. And looking at the Enoden, there's plenty little bits of water and streams and rivers etc. The other kit is a snow kit which is really meant for things like creating snowy wargaming diorama's, but according to the description, the powder that creates the snow effect is fine enough for N-scale. They also claim it doesn't discolour, and it's easy to apply and gets some amazing results. The kit is from Krycell.

• Like 3

That modular workshop system thing looks really neat,  I'd like to see how yours come out.  I may end up getting some too once the money becomes available (assuming kato/tomix don't have too many releases in the intervening time).

Martijn Meerts

It's a really nice system, maybe not the cheapest if you need a lot of them, but you don't have to buy them all at a time. This is the 3rd time I'm ordering some bits and it should the the last order for now as well, since I won't have space left for more modules :)

Once the new ones have arrived and I've built them (they're really easy to build and the fit is pretty much perfect) I'll take a picture. Well, after cleaning up the rest of the desk of course :D

For some reason, Vallejo paint tends to get off the tracks easily. (i mean sometimes it falls off in flakes, but mostly just get rubbed off from the inside by the wheels and that can get into the pickups. My club uses matt Revell brick red (37) for painting tracks. It's brushable and when thinned, airbrushable.

Martijn Meerts

I'll see what happens.. I've used Revell before, but never managed to find a colour I'm happy with. I'd prefer going with Gunze really, but they don't have a good rail colour in their range anymore, so it'd have to be a custom mix, which is what I'm trying to prevent.

I have noticed that a lot of acrylic paints don't stick to metal well, which is why I have a little glass fibre brush to roughen up the surface a little bit, and if needed I have some metal primers as well. As for painting flaking, that's very likely because the surface being painted wasn't cleaned well before painting. There's always some residue left from manufacturing which causes paint to not stick.

• Like 1
Das Steinkopf
3 hours ago, Martijn Meerts said:

I have noticed that a lot of acrylic paints don't stick to metal well, which is why I have a little glass fibre brush to roughen up the surface a little bit, and if needed I have some metal primers as well. As for painting flaking, that's very likely because the surface being painted wasn't cleaned well before painting. There's always some residue left from manufacturing which causes paint to not stick.

When I was doing OO Gauge I would use Tamiya Hull Red and Flat Brown Acrylics to emulate rust on my tracks and never had any issues, I would paint the tracks and sleepers prior to ballasting and then add the ballast and glue it down with diluted PVA, in some respects I think that helped maintain the paint as the diluted PVA mix worked as a varnish and protected the paint from flaking.

Martijn Meerts

I noticed hull red being mentioned to get a little more of an unused track rust effect, while the red brown is more to get the look of a main line. I do have some hull red, so I can experiment with that one as well. I'll definitely paint the track before ballasting, much easier to paint the track when it's not stuck on the baseboard yet :)

Das Steinkopf
On 5 September 2017 at 5:06 AM, nah00 said:

Did you find that the printing on the Loginet containers was a bit below Hogaradokou's normal standards? Also can't wait for my Takis to show up too. 

I had a good look at my U19A's under the magnifying lamp and found that they were up to their usual standard, I also cross refrenced photos of the real thing and couldn't see any issues there. https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/hiroforakiho/GALLERY/show_image_v2.html?id=https%3A%2F%2Fblog-001.west.edge.storage-yahoo.jp%2Fres%2Fblog-52-ec%2Fhiroforakiho%2Ffolder%2F1094797%2F59%2F47462659%2Fimg_6%3F1459072568&i=1

Re-release time!

Tomix 100 series Shinkansen Fresh Green Kodama colour & Kato 251 series Super View Odoriko arrived today from Amazon.

I never realised the 251 series came equipped with interior lights. I think that makes it really good value for money.

Also got my hands on some old catalogues. Japanese Tomix 1987 & Kato 1991, as well as two English/German Kato 1984 catalogues.

DJDB3D8XYAQ-tCX.jpg

DJDB4aoW4AASa7y.jpg

DJDCl6aWAAEbKxr.jpg

eJCHCO3W0AE2dGO.jpg

• Like 10

Picked these up today for the princely sum of £2 the trucks are Bandai and the bus Tomytec. The bus is perfect for my Tokyo layout plans. Not sure if the trucks liveries are fictional or real though.

IMG_20170906_183138.jpg

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Suica said:

Re-release time!

Tomix 100 series Shinkansen Fresh Green Kodama colour & Kato 251 series Super View Odoriko arrived today from Amazon.

I never realised the 251 series came equipped with interior lights. I think that makes it really good value for money.

Also got my hands on some old catalogues. Japanese Tomix 1987 & Kato 1991, as well as two English/German Kato 1984 catalogues.

Nice! That 100 series Kodama is really nice, iit's so nice that Tomix is re-releasing this set... I'm just waiting for mine to arrive!

The 251 is more of a new release rather than a re-release, with new LED lighting... The former set also has pre-installed interior lighting, but using the older bulb system meaning it is slightly less bright...

Those catalogues are really vintage and nice! Love the one with the 651 series!

6 hours ago, Wonderbolt said:

Picked these up today for the princely sum of £2 the trucks are Bandai and the bus Tomytec. The bus is perfect for my Tokyo layout plans. Not sure if the trucks liveries are fictional or real though.

Good deal! I'm pretty sure the livery is true for the bus, it belongs to Kanto Bus company, in the outskirts of Tokyo ... Not quite sure for the trucks though...

What questions me is the last cement mover truck.. I don't think I've seen this truck anyway before... perhaps a Mandai working vehicle truck series?

• Like 2

oooh nice, I'm waiting for my 100 Series Shinkansen Fresh Green livery and also the 251 in both old and new color to arrive.

• Like 1