What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

On 6/4/2019 at 4:23 PM, Ultratram said:

So my mega greenmax kit ebay find arrived today. When I saw the listing I was excited for the keikyu 1500 series. But there is so much good stuff in this lot. The kits grouped on the left all have motors, the right side is all economy kits. I will be slowly ordering the bogies for the economy kits when I find them in stock. I really like these older kits since they include sticker and decal sheets. I plan on starting a post in Projects where I will make a log of the progress from this lot. I just finished my JNR 155 series economy kit so i will be free to jump into building the keikyu 1500!

DSC00913.JPG

If you ever decide you don't want that KiNi05 in the top left corner, do please let me know... 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Welshbloke

A Kato MoHa 153 arrived:

I now have a ten car 153 based around one of the "Shonan Express" train packs, a spare MoHa pair and a SaRo 163. The latter three waiting in hope of my finding the seven car 153 Series pack Kato released years ago, as they were really intended for that.

• Like 2
lighthouse

First Order of June have arrived 🙂

Station-kit, Bus Set (Shibetsu), Container and Headmarks 🙂

012145.jpg

Edited by lighthouse
  • Like 4
Welshbloke

I think JNR KoKis may be happening... Just spotted and immediately grabbed a lot of a Tomix KoKi and KoKiFu 10000, and a KoKi 200. Now I'll have to buy more containers and another storage case!

lighthouse

I have 34x JRF Kokis, but not enough container... only my 14x JNR Kokis and 2x Kokifu are full of container 

Welshbloke

The hard part with KoKi 10000s is working out how to part load them. The normal version holds four containers and the KoKiFu three. The loading advice for JRF-era KoKis doesn't really fit, therefore! I'm guessing the same balanced loading rule applied but this means they either need to have two, four, or no containers loaded. Also guessing the KoKiFu would be fully loaded first in order to give the guard a more comfortable ride, as under-loaded springs are usually a bit harsh!

Any suggestions for locos and other types of KoKi which would have run with them are welcome, I have a suitable EF64-1000 if those hauled containers in JNR days?

Das Steinkopf
10 minutes ago, Welshbloke said:

Any suggestions for locos and other types of KoKi which would have run with them are welcome, I have a suitable EF64-1000 if those hauled containers in JNR days?

The EF64-1000's came into service about 4 to 5 years before the end of JNR, you could also use EF64-0, EF65-0, EF65-1000 and EF66-0's for JNR freight trains, not to mention DE-10's and DD51's.

Welshbloke

Would the KoKi 10000 and 50000s have mixed? I'm guessing the earlier KoKi 5500 wouldn't have as it had a lower top speed, which would have missed the point of building the 10000s in the first place.

The EF64-1000 should be ok then, unless they were primarily passenger locos at that time?

8 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

KoKi 200

You know, I have two Tomix Koki 200’s which are brand new and unused. I essentially bought them in error when I was planning a freight train of a very specific length, but my plans changed. If you’re interested you can have them for a very reasonable price (plus postage from America).

Welshbloke

I now have two of them as well, which I think is probably about the right proportion for an eleven car JRF container train. They don't seem anything like as common as the KoKi 10* series flats in real life? Thanks anyway!

Das Steinkopf
9 hours ago, Keith said:

Some more freight.

69ED9DF6-5627-4E6F-83F7-C0A9145FADF5.jpeg

You'll need another 8 Taki's to fill that case 😉 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Das Steinkopf said:

You'll need another 8 Taki's to fill that case 😉 

There were 7 in my last shipment and apparently another 4 on their way. Maybe I need another box to keep them in, but that could end up being a never ending circle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest addition to my Odakyu Romancecar collection.  Tomix 98658 Odakyu Electric Railway Romancecar GSE 70000.

IMG_7298 cropped 1024 x 768.jpg

IMG_7299 cropped 1024 x 768.jpg

• Like 5

There are times when I absolutely hate Tomix trains. I love their track, but their trains.   ??? Not even out of the box and on the track and it is falling apart. I will contract the dealer later on.

IMG_7301 1024 x768.jpg

113971148_IMG_73001024x768.thumb.jpg.9dd451a1251f443ab8964f0de37809cc.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Sad 2
Das Steinkopf
On 9 June 2019 at 12:09 AM, Welshbloke said:

Would the KoKi 10000 and 50000s have mixed? I'm guessing the earlier KoKi 5500 wouldn't have as it had a lower top speed, which would have missed the point of building the 10000s in the first place.

The EF64-1000 should be ok then, unless they were primarily passenger locos at that time?

The original KoKi 50000's were designed to compliment and then eventually replace the KoKi 5500's, they would run together as the KoKi 50000's could run at 95km/h whilst the KoKi 5500's ran at 85km/h with later variants modified to run at 95km/h, they would not have run with the KoKi 10000's as they were built for high speed container services that ran at 100km/h. 

The EF64-1000's were brought into service to replace a number of older classes used on freight services on the Joetsu and Chuo mainline. 

12 minutes ago, railsquid said:

What, and Rapido couplers and shiny wheelsets as well?!

Those shiny wheels are one of my biggest gripes with Tomix, especially on  the Tomytec motor units. I also have a Tomix JRF DE10 with shiny wheel rims worthy of pulling the Emporer’s train.

Edited by Kamome
  • Haha 1
50 minutes ago, bill937ca said:

There are times when I absolutely hate Tomix trains. I love their track, but their trains.   ??? Not even out of the box and on the track and it is falling apart. I will contract the dealer later on.

Ive had this happen with Kato, microace and greenmax as well, it’s not just Tomix. I’ve seen this a lot on greenmax and it’s the smallest proportion of my collection. For some reason the wheels and trucks get knocked loose in shipping.

Usually just popping them back in works fine along with a little press in on the ends of the trucks to make the wheel bearings fit snug into the trucks. I’ve only had a couple that stayed loose and kept popping out and dunking the truck in really hot water a minute and then pushing in on the offending end of the truck for a minute while it cools set it to a tighter fit.

With the trucks you have to wiggle them while snapping in and rotate fully a few times once in to make sure the little retainer fingers are securely popped into their notches in the chassis.

jeff

• Like 3
2 hours ago, bill937ca said:

This is mostly because tomix leaves a little bit too much room around the trains in the foam which makes the train susceptible to rattling while being shipped. I’ve had this pretty much every time I receive a tomix train. It is not broken; just reassemble the train and off you go. I never had a really broken train arrive here from Japan. EU trains on the other hand...

• Like 1

I think the opposite may be true as well as I’ve had ones pop out in shipping that were very tight on the wheels as well and I think translated any hard shocks into the wheels more than the car. Luckily like you I’ve never had any broken like this all easily put back together.

jeff

2 hours ago, cteno4 said:

I think the opposite may be true as well as I’ve had ones pop out in shipping that were very tight on the wheels as well and I think translated any hard shocks into the wheels more than the car. Luckily like you I’ve never had any broken like this all easily put back together.

jeff

Yes but also I’ve noticed that Tomix foam is a bit tougher than soft KATO foam, I think that might also be a problem when the packaging is snug. Though sometimes Kato also falls apart on me but not as often as Tomix.

The good news is except for a couple of the problem children I had to fix with hot water, once put back together I rarely ever have a wheel set come loose in just my usual banging around transporting to trains to shows. The few that do pop out randomly I think most are just from twisting the car oddly and catching a flange when removing.

jeff

That explains a lot, I had one Tomix train that had dropped a bogie, but it went back in just fine. It is odd as I’ve had plenty of stuff from the UK with no problem.

Keith