What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

New arrival today from my two boys was a late Xmas present, A C57 and 3 coaches,originally part of Kato s set 10-011.

looks fairly old but In good condition and runs beautifully.

Seven Stars in Kyushu, me too. 

Plus other random stuff from Imon in Shibuya today.

Sorry for the crap pic.

20190105_215726.jpg

Edited by TRod
  • Like 4

Bit late, but here is my E653 Inaho from Green Max (30501) presentation video.

I always install interior light in my japanese trains. But as I discovered, green max has:

A: no "standard" interior lighting brackets, holes, or diffusion bar holders

B: the plastic is so thin that the interior light shines through.

Lots of masking tape, glue, and cutting later, interior light is finally installed. It was quite frustrating; I ended up taping the entire interior. It also means that the interior lighting is not even everywhere.

The paint job on the outside is nice however. Seeing it run makes me almost forget what a pain it was.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Yavianice said:

Bit late, but here is my E653 Inaho from Green Max (30501) presentation video.

I always install interior light in my japanese trains. But as I discovered, green max has:

A: no "standard" interior lighting brackets, holes, or diffusion bar holders

B: the plastic is so thin that the interior light shines through.

Lots of masking tape, glue, and cutting later, interior light is finally installed. It was quite frustrating; I ended up taping the entire interior. It also means that the interior lighting is not even everywhere.

The paint job on the outside is nice however. Seeing it run makes me almost forget what a pain it was.

Lovely video and good work on that Inaho! I have it too, and lighting it up was a real pain... There were no brackets and one had to physically aim the springs onto the holes on the chassis! 

It also didn't allow for TN couplers, which is another bomber... 

Well, the paint works is really nice though... but by the time if Kato gets around making this model (which my guess would be they will since they are already planning  the Shirayuki E653), this model would probably be taken over by the Kato one in a flash... Not to forget it is also very expensive for a 7-car set...

A Tomytec KuMoRu/KuRu 145 is on the way, along with the bits to turn it into a working model. Decided it was probably now or never given they're selling out and prices are climbing.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, chadbag said:

That doesn't look like an EF58.

The original EF58s were essentially the passenger version of EF15s.  After a few dozen were made they switched to the streamlined body design.  Already produced units had new bodies made and the old bodies were then retrofitted to the wartime EF13s (which had been built as articulated steeple cabs to save materials).  A few EF58s that were mid production when the switch happened had the streamlined cab grafted onto the almost completed boxcab body, these are easily identifiable by counting the windows.  Boxcab bodies had 7 windows while units which were streamlined from the ground up have 5.  Kato made a very nice model of EF58 35, which was one of the units built as a boxcab with the streamlined front grafted on.  I believe unit 35 was the first of the class to have streamlining done.

A rebuilt boxcab version (notice the extra windows)
http://ef58.info/EF58/gazou/ef58001-050/1980M28-06-0901-2.jpg

A new build body version
http://ef58.info/EF58/gazou/guest/EF58/ohno/ohno-ef5838.JPG

This site is the place to go to see pic's of the entire class of EF58, they have some great info about other JNR electric classes too and some very nice photos of them in service.

http://ef58.info/EF58/EF58vol05.html

As an aside, a few units were not rebuilt into the streamlined shape and were instead re-geared to run as freight units (IIRC they received the same gear ratios as the EF15s and 16s).  These were reclassified as EF18s.
http://ef58.info/EF58/gazou/guest/EF18/namiki-EF1832.JPG

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
10 hours ago, railsquid said:

Another EF58 for the collection 😄

How are the motors on Microace locos like this? I only have a Class 9600 steamer from them and it runs good if having a bit of a dated mechanism. 

6 minutes ago, nah00 said:

How are the motors on Microace locos like this? I only have a Class 9600 steamer from them and it runs good if having a bit of a dated mechanism. 

Mostly they run fine, as good as Kato or Tomix. This one  The only MicroAce unit I've found is fundamentally problematic is the DD16, which has a poor pickup mechanism.

5 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

The original EF58s were essentially the passenger version of EF15s.  After a few dozen were made they switched to the streamlined body design...

This is what I love about our forum and our members. No matter what the subject, there's always someone who knows things I didn't know. I knew that the EF58s were modified with the streamlined cabs, but I didn't know about the different number of windows or the reason behind them. So thanks to railsquid and Kiha66!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

The original EF58s were essentially the passenger version of EF15s.  After a few dozen were made they switched to the streamlined body design.  Already produced units had new bodies made and the old bodies were then retrofitted to the wartime EF13s (which had been built as articulated steeple cabs to save materials).  A few EF58s that were mid production when the switch happened had the streamlined cab grafted onto the almost completed boxcab body, these are easily identifiable by counting the windows.  Boxcab bodies had 7 windows while units which were streamlined from the ground up have 5.  Kato made a very nice model of EF58 35, which was one of the units built as a boxcab with the streamlined front grafted on.  I believe unit 35 was the first of the class to have streamlining done.

I believe so, as the first batch delivered with boxcab bodies consisted of 31 units; 32 -34 became EF18-32 to EF18-34, so 35 onwards would have been delivered with the streamlined body.

Now I shall have to acquire an EF58-35... Seems Kato are doing a re-run in March, and  MicroAce do versions in blue and brown, it seems.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, railsquid said:

Now I shall have to acquire an EF58-35... Seems Kato are doing a re-run in March, and  MicroAce do versions in blue and brown, it seems.

(checks inventory)

Wait, I already have EF58-38 from MicroAce:

42747459764_9b4b1740d2_z.jpg

microace-ef58-38 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

which also has 7 windows. Never thought about that before, you learn something new every day.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, marknewton said:

This is what I love about our forum and our members. No matter what the subject, there's always someone who knows things I didn't know. I knew that the EF58s were modified with the streamlined cabs, but I didn't know about the different number of windows or the reason behind them. So thanks to railsquid and Kiha66!

Cheers,

Mark.

Absoloutely spot on there Mark👍👍😀

• Thanks 1

I remeber long ago looking at two versions of EF58s and thinking at first some box got switched then looking at it figured there was some sort of modification story there and should go learn about it and of course a bright shiny object appeared and now I learn about it years later...

thanks guys!

jeff

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have no idea what i’m doing (i just have a starter kit, some random track and some locos) buuut im in tokyo and wanted to do a tram set up with b shorty and trams... i hope i bought the right stuff! i’m not versed in layouts so went with Tomix pre templated.

what’s here?

1. Tomytec bus set BRT A and A

2. Tomix mini fine track parts MA, MA, MB, MB and MX

3. Bandai yamanote line b shorty (2 sets) with kato bogey and motor.

4. Modemo hanshin type 71 and tokyo toden type 8800 (i don’t know anything about trams  just picked two good looking ones)

5. Kato uni track adapter as i’m visting the kato center tomorrow (!)

6. Tomix 2018/2019 guide

i did want a shinkansen b shorty (i don’t think i will ever have layout space large enough for a full shinkansen), but out of stock!

any tips would be much appreciated!

3B618D29-092F-4624-A627-4612C2849736.jpeg

• Like 6

Did you buy some trailer bogies for the B Train Shorty too? The kit ones are just dummies. My suggestion would be to take a photo of the power unit sideframes and have a look at the Kato shop, they offer matching trailer bogies with a few different sideframe 

If you buy Kato and Tomix power extension leads you can make up a pair of adapters to use either brand's transformers with either brand's track. Tomix did offer a battery controller under the Tomytec brand a few years ago, you might strike lucky if you have a chance for a wander around the shops listed in Akihabara.

Talking of which, have a look at Tomytec models if you like the Shorties. Similar experience in terms of self-assembly but they're full scale length. You need a motor, trailer wheels and (if the model is of an electric train) pantographs, the box has a panel bottom right listing the part numbers. They will run on 140mm radius curves so your Tomix packs should suit them.

You selected very well for a tram layout. I prefer the points track sets, since you get manual points. You can reach these and throw them by hand on a small layout, and if you ever want one to be electrically thrown, you can just buy the solenoid unit (Tomix 0107) and swap it into the points roadbed. You also avoided the tight Super-Mini 103mm radius curves, which I think is smart if you wan to be able to run the widest variety of trams.

Try not to drool on the catalogue... ☺️

Rich K.

5 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

If you buy Kato and Tomix power extension leads you can make up a pair of adapters to use either brand's transformers with either brand's track. Tomix did offer a battery controller under the Tomytec brand a few years ago, you might strike lucky if you have a chance for a wander around the shops listed in Akihabara.

Thanks yes the store worker helped me pick out bogeys, also the above I do not understand, why do I need (what are?) extension leads, why do I need kato ones (i guess I have tomix ones?) do you mean leads that come out of my tomix controller and click into the kato track?

Cant I just power the circuit at the ‘tomix’ parts and the power will flow into the kato parts too?

thanks Rich K - I might grab some of these. I have two switches can I run multiple solenoids on one switch? Im a bit nervous about switches and currents... is there an idiots guide to these?

I would have liked wider track but I don’t have that much space and a busy household rules out floor running. This means I can have more complicated layouts with the smaller curves!

Going to head to yodobashi Shinjuku today and kato centre 🙂

Das Steinkopf
59 minutes ago, Nornicle said:

Going to head to yodobashi Shinjuku today and kato centre 🙂

The Yodobashi in Shinjuku is an awesome store, it is a bit of an oddity though as there is no one large store like Akihabara or other places, it is a group of satellite stores all in smaller buildings, the Toy and Hobby store is located on the corner and you will see a heap of Gatcha machines out the front, there is about 7 floors including the basement, the model rail section is on the 5th floor from memory. With shopping try to do most of it in Yodobashi as the Kato Hobby Centre sells most of it's stock at full RRP and there is very little in the way of bargains, mind you there will probably be no time to look for items as you cruise along and look at their extensive display of models and drool over the layouts they have in there, you might even get to see some of the future releases they have on display there, when I went there back in 2015 they had the RhB Alegra out for viewing.