What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

I have a few of the single bogie powered trains from kato, in general I don't have any issues withthem. Katos (non-driven) axles roll really well thanks to the metal axle tip bearings and the two car sets are really lightweight compared to a longer train, so one bogie is enough to move them. The Kato made DB Br 425 also has a single powered bogie for the whole 4 car train (it is articulated though, so only 5 bogies total), but it still runs reliably even on slopes.

My goodness, I miss trains! I need to either get off my butt or hire someone to do the benchwork in my new house so I can get back to having fun. But I'm a computer guy, not a woodworking guy... Hands down my least favorite part of model trains, and I never do a good job. I think I'll invite my carpenter neighbor over soon and ask him what he thinks.

Meanwhile, I've not been ordering anything lately since I don't have a layout, but I did get an interesting pickup at a model train show I went to recently...

46082804_365106790902623_4257153897119875072_n.thumb.jpg.081ddf6c7c6dd717c914248e1a989577.jpg

45808197_1188325094648477_666458905773080576_n.thumb.jpg.a210686f486939be176b192dbcda17af.jpg

Don't know a ton about the set, but any Japanese prototype is an extreme rarity in the states, so I picked it up... Could have been a bad deal, but I didn't see much on eBay or elsewhere so I said what the heck.

Thankfully not working on trains has given me a lot of time for video games, and there's no shortage of those, either.

• Like 6

The story behind any of our trains pales into insignificance at times,if you like it,have it😂😂👍not sure it’s always the best plan but it’s just about the only rule i apply when I buy mine 😂😂😂😂

Edited by Densha
Staff Comment - Removed Unnecessary Quote
  • Like 1

I don't have any pics yet (as this is a "secret" arrival and will be under the tree next week) but the (long pre-ordered) 10-1519 Seven Stars set showed up today.  Very nice, from the little I was able to look at it.   My basement office is dark and no room to set out but when no one is home, or at latest next week, I'll get some good photos and be able to take a good look.

DCC wise it looks similar to other KATO DF200 and I'll probably use one of the TCS K0D8 variant decoder boards.   One that uses SMD LEDs like the KATO board does.  Need to play with it.

Edited by chadbag
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Did it come with spare rapido couplers to replace the installed knuckle couplers?

And it comes with a gold screwdriver?

Edited by katoftw
3 hours ago, katoftw said:

Did it come with spare rapido couplers to replace the installed knuckle couplers?

And it comes with a gold screwdriver?

There are no spare couplers.   Note that the wagons are attached to each other with shibata style couplers and the knuckle attach the locomotive to the lead car (and on the front end of the locomotive and the rear window car non connected end).

LOL.  No screwdriver

Today I ordered online from Yodobashi for the first time.  It was pretty easy using the Chrome auto translate facility.   I don't usually use Chrome (just because I believe in a modicum of privacy and don't want to BE the product) but for this sort of thing, the auto translate feature is great.  I am having it delivered to my SIL in Kobe so Yodobashi was a good choice for reasonable prices and free delivery.   I looked at Ami Ami first but the stuff I wanted was on backorder (some KATO concrete slab Unitrack curves that were out when I ordered last week for delivery to my SIL), but Yodobashi claims to have it in stock at a few of their stores.  Since my wife will be visiting there after Christmas for 10 days, she can bring it back with her.

Also,  before it got wrapped up today, here is the "Seven Stars in Kyushu".   It is now wrapped in bright silver paper and living under my bed waiting for Monday night to be delivered to me by Santa!   (Sorry for the not so great photos -- I had to quickly take them as the family was out so I was able to wrap stuff for different family members but they were on their way home so I had to be quick about it)

large.YRgR2BwPQYeI4Fhp0RQDJA.jpg.12c83ed90e22e05231fd4aa279cd1f14.jpglarge.2081885283_IMG_0156(2).jpg.78595bb1aba0475b85b04e88d52b3860.jpglarge.85634428_IMG_0157(2).jpg.38ec1821734620b89c1f6c5b0fb97117.jpg

Edited by chadbag
O is not I
  • Like 9
On 12/19/2018 at 12:17 PM, chadbag said:

DCC wise it looks similar to other KATO DF200 and I'll probably use one of the TCS K0D8 variant decoder boards.   One that uses SMD LEDs like the KATO board does.  Need to play with it.

Is the K0D8 similiar to the Digitrax DN163K0A? I'm hoping to get a decoder that I won't have to modify the LEDs on and definitely don't want to start cutting up the inside of the locomotive. 

Also do you need to fit an FL12 to car 1 and 7 to control the directional lighting or does the on-off switch take care of that?

Edited by nah00
10 minutes ago, nah00 said:

Is the K0D8 similiar to the Digitrax DN163K0A? I'm hoping to get a decoder that I won't have to modify the LEDs on and definitely don't want to start cutting up the inside of the locomotive. 

Yes, I believe it is.  

There are multiple versions of the K0D8   -A, -B, -D etc.  Same decoder -- just different sets of LEDs (or maybe no LEDs -- add your own).  The one I think is probably best for this articular 7 Stars DF200 is probably this one:   K0D8-D     https://tcsdcc.com/1339  -- It does not include onboard LEDs but looks to be about the same length as the light board included and you just add your own SMD LEDs.   (Now, I have not yet done this so there may be some gotchas etc.)   You can look at the other K0D8 variants on the site.

Edited by chadbag

KOD8C looks like it could be a drop-in replacement for this, the short LEDs match up pretty much with how you have to modify the Digitrax board. Hopefully TCS boards play well with Digitrax controllers...

1 minute ago, nah00 said:

KOD8C looks like it could be a drop-in replacement for this, the short LEDs match up pretty much with how you have to modify the Digitrax board. Hopefully TCS boards play well with Digitrax controllers...

The write-up in the forum for the DF200 said he had to sand down (flatten) the LEDs to make them fit.  Otherwise, I was thinking the same thing.  HOwever, see this note: "The K0D8 line of decoders are available with different lighting configurations. Pay special attention to the compatibility. The K0D8-C features 2 onboard super-bright, "Sunny White" LED's with short leads."  If you are looking at this for the 7 STars DF200, does this match the correct light color?  I have not run mine so I don't know.

I don't think I have any -C models (I very well may -- need to go through my stash).  I do have some -D.    I usually buy my TCS decoders on eBay when they have a 10% or 15% coupon running.  The sellers there usually are discounted over MSRP anyway and then 10% or 15% off makes them bearable...

10 hours ago, chadbag said:

Also,  before it got wrapped up today, here is the "Seven Stars in Kyushu"

Looks lovely. Just had a closer look in my local hobby shop but sadly he’s selling them for the full ¥36500 plus tax, so just shy of ¥40,000.

I’m awaiting my confirmation from Ami Ami so I shall grow greener and greener with envy until then. I did save ¥10000 off the RRP so I can’t complain too much. Mine may have been pushed back to January due to the high demand.

Annoyingly, these sets seem to be available for purchase on the Ami Ami site but for a higher price. 

Edited by Kamome

Parcels! Containing four EMU cars:

No powered MoRo 164, but the half set can be towed by a KuMoYa or similar for now (hence why one KuMoRo currently has a Shibata coupler in place of the factory knuckle). The next shot illustrates the missing bits I could do with part numbers for. Gangway bellows, the square-based aerial and the skirt around the coupler:

Finally, my first JNR KoKi arrived in the form of a KoKi 10000. Mostly bought it as I like the JNR tank containers and needed something to load them on. This will either be the start of a new JNR era container train or a museum exhibit:

• Like 5

I have ordered the Kato 10-510 4 car bullet train, Kato 22-014 power pack, Kato V14 &  a Sante Fe EMD F7A. The power pack will arrive in a couple days, the bullet train in early to late January. The V14 inner loop track is down already, the rail have been rusted and I am playing with spots of ballast. The EMD F7A doesn't run and is just for show

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, AmtrakBullet said:

I have ordered the Kato 10-510 4 car bullet train, Kato 22-014 power pack, Kato V14 &  a Sante Fe EMD F7A. The power pack will arrive in a couple days, the bullet train in early to late January. The V14 inner loop track is down already, the rail have been rusted and I am playing with spots of ballast. The EMD F7A doesn't run and is just for show

Unless it's a dummy F7 it should be possible to get it going again. Try unclipping the bodyshell and giving the motor a nudge with a small screwdriver to see if it's free to turn. You can use a PP3 9v battery and a couple of test leads for that if you don't have a power supply yet, just touch the wires to the loco wheels.

• Like 1
scotspensioner

The 10-158 parts arent listed separately on the sheet other than the bodies,chassis,bogies ,and pantiograph as block parts.The diagram illustration is very small and unclear. If it helps the skirt under the end is part of the bogie and the series numbers are 4160/1/2/3.

Incidentallythey didn't always run coupled directly together in JR days .I've seen a photo of a 12 coach formation with two ordinary sets coupled in between.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Edited by scotspensioner
Additional info
  • Like 1

Thanks, I did wonder whether the instructions went into that much detail.

I've found photos of each half set being taken out for a test run behind a KuMoYa 145, so I'll substitute a similar unit to move the dummy half.

I'm leaving the knuckle couplers on as they're slightly shorter than a pair of Shibatas, despite being inaccurate. May convert the inner cab ends though if they mixed and matched with unmodified 165s!

Today the neighbor boy dropped off a box.  I guess the mailman left it in the wrong package box.  It was my SAL from Hobby Search, which I had kind of forgottten about.  Pre-orders from long ago that finally shipped.  Another JR103 to join the existing ones.

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

It was scheduled, per DHL, for Wednesday the 26th, but came this morning.  Would have been perfect timing for Christmas, but will be put aside until the end of January and my daughter's birthday.  The Tomix Hello Kitty Shinkansen.  It looks nice!

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

• Like 6
36 minutes ago, chadbag said:

It was scheduled, per DHL, for Wednesday the 26th, but came this morning.  Would have been perfect timing for Christmas, but will be put aside until the end of January and my daughter's birthday.  The Tomix Hello Kitty Shinkansen.  It looks nice!

Nice. Are you going to DCC it before the birthday? Or leave it DC? Any thoughts on which decoder to give it?

Edited by gavino200
45 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Nice. Are you going to DCC it before the birthday? Or leave it DC? Any thoughts on which decoder to give it?

It will be DCC but not before the birthday.  Our layouts now are impromptu table top so I can do DCC or DC, depending on what we need or want to run, and i am not sure I'll have enough time or a place without prying eyes to get it done by the birthday.    For the motor I'll use a D&H DH05 or DH10, depending on what I have available in my stash (not already planned for a train).  Not sure how best to run the front and rear cab lights.  I may have the wife get some FL12 while she is in Japan and hardwire those in or get some NGDCC bipolar decoders (or both) or just wire in function decoders and flip the LEDs and program them etc (the usual routine).  We'll see what I can come up with.

I expect the motor decoder to be similar to the Tomix N700 I did so it should be pretty easy.  I'll make sure to document it for posterity.

• Like 2