What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

This little beauty arrived today. I love it. I think I'll buy the other colors too.

pvYdlCb.jpg

Also, more double viaduct track, and a bunch of lack tables

oEwlBT1.jpg

And a little Jaguar that came all the way from Japan by itself in a giant box.

7fv5ZJc.jpg

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

I don't have any pics yet but my KATO Twilight Express Mizukaze was delivered yesterday by DHL.   I guess DHL is doing Sunday deliveries during the holiday delivery season.  I just opened the box this morning and it looks quite nice.    Uses standard EM13 style DCC.   Need to see what I have.   Will run it for breakin on DC today 😉

• Like 3

Let me join the Kato Twilight Express Mizukaze club!  Santa made an early delivery this year, haha.  The case is so shiny, I'm just staring at the case right now - I need to get me some white gloves to handle this thing.  A smaller package also came with some Tomytec Trucks that I had forgotten about, can't keep track of these pre-orders. Now I really need to do a temporary setup to run this new train along with my other 2 Kato Cruise Trains.  

IMG_3714.thumb.jpg.a0683781f8b38138c4be0c9b8b8c8398.jpg

IMG_3715.thumb.jpg.e62d809fe1520f8bfc088b615da45511.jpg

IMG_3716.thumb.jpg.2eaeb504197b30caac8501a2d46d4bce.jpg

• Like 12

Good evening guys,

new day with a new delivery:
Kato Cassiopeia Complete and Tomix C61-20, both from a good friend 🙂

Regards

Patrick

20191203_182303.jpg

• Like 9

I caved and got a kato viaduct station.  A really neat model, but much bigger than I expected! 

20191202_211514_compress21.thumb.jpg.45d3f23ad667b74c1dae003b6a605cb9.jpg

20191203_122255_compress2.thumb.jpg.ceb626b45935fb2c60cb14cc62e37c41.jpg

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 13
4 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

But now you have to supersize it with passing tracks! Then for for longer! 😜 

jeff

But why would you ever want to pass the station? It's there to be stopped at!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
16 minutes ago, GDorsett said:

But why would you ever want to pass the station? It's there to be stopped at!

When you are a Nozomi, you only stop at the biggest baddest stations.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
3 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

I caved and got a kato viaduct station.  A really neat model, but much bigger than I expected! 

20191203_122255_compress2.thumb.jpg.ceb626b45935fb2c60cb14cc62e37c41.jpg

Hmmm, I think one of those is exactly what I need. How long a train will it fit? I may need two. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I would certainly recommend getting one!  The base set will fit about 6 or 7 cars at the platform, and kato makes add on sets if you want it longer.  Platforms are not included, but any of the kato center platform sets should fit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It starts there, then you find another one silly cheap and start buying extensions:

I need another station entrance module as I have three (and obviously an uneven number doesn't work). You probably need to get up to nine plates to fit a twelve coach train like the Hokutosei or Cassiopeia in the loops, the turnouts and reverse curve take up a plate at each end. Eight should take full ten/eleven car Yamanote Line EMU sets.

I am in the midst of trying to fit the guts of a cheap Bluetooth speaker into one of the station entrance buildings, but struggling to find a way to keep the power switch and charging port accessible due to the shape of the circuit board. The speaker is in and fairly well hidden unless you get right down to eye level with it.

Edited by Welshbloke
More details
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yep, mine is two basic sets side by side and a couple of extra plates either end (they come in packs of two). You'll need more S Joiners to clip them all together solidly, but it works. I drilled holes in four of my plates so the turnout wiring can hang down out of sight, if I was building it into a fixed layout I'd hide them behind a viaduct pier leg or something.

53 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

Somehow your viaduct station @Welshbloke seems wider than the one from @Kiha66? Does it come with optional parts to make it wider? Or is it a different model

Yes it’s a very clever modular system. The base plates join end to end and side by side with the white joiners. 

To create enough width for 2 platforms and 4 tracks you need 2 plates side by side. Alternatively, the same set up could have 6 tracks and no platforms. Personally I prefer the #4 turnouts for this set up as you gain a little extra platform length (about 62mm at each end) as long as you use the 23-105 platform ends. The diverging tracks use up 1x 248mm plate length before the platform starts.

I think I calculated you’d need 24 station base plates to make a station capable of housing 4 platforms for 16 car shinkansens.

8 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

It starts there, then you find another one silly cheap and start buying extensions:

LOL, same here! I ended up with 3 station sets as a chap dumped several on ebay that he had used at the Chicago gift fair in a huge temp setup one year with Kato to sell trains to store buyers. It was rather odd, but I got them for about half price, used once! Extension sets are really expensive.

We’ve gone to making our own for the club layouts by laminating a layer of 1/8” masonite on the bottom, 3/16” foamcore in the middle, and Formica or 040 stryene on the top. Makes a very stiff, flat laminate the same thickness as the Kato plates and the foamcore layer is right at the right place for the wall studs to go, just drill out areas where needed. Formica is great as it’s very stiff and tough and they make a grey granite that looks just like Kato ballast, but it’s messy to work with (it’s basically thin fiberglass) and getting very hard to find anymore. Styrene works well. You can spray paint it with that grey granite speckle paint. Comes out to a fraction of the price and you can do large chunks without needing supports everywhere.

cheers,

jeff

• Like 2

The Twilight Express has arrived!  Ami ami had a shipping issue so it was delayed a few days, but luckily it arrived in perfect condition.  I'm very excited to get the whole set out and run it at the local club.

photo5134239176366073978.thumb.jpg.3ea37a1f6867c4ffe312b58123abb307.jpg

• Like 11
2 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Jackpot! 1100 yen with interior lights is a steal! Now you need to light up the other cars too ~  😛

Yeah, but then I'd need to decorate the interiors a bit, at least paint the seats green or something... A project for the next decade methinks.

Anyway I was wondering why it was so bright, and why the lighting strip was falling down (you can see it at the closer end of the car), it turns out it's a home-made one made out of a strip of LEDs. Needs toning down, either electrically (add a resistor somehow) or some sort of filter over the LEDs.  It'd certainly be a cheaper way of doing it.

Received a second-hand set that was sold with a "broken" pantograph. Took me a minute to snap the pieces of plastic back together.

I was also very happy to see that the package had somehow escaped the ever watching and expensive eye of the German customs.

• Like 3