What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

55 minutes ago, Das Steinkopf said:

the Kitty bus is for my wife

Yeah my wife keeps saying how much she wants another EH500 for long haul cargo operations. 🤣

I keep saying no and that we need to prioritize passenger movement.

Don’t worry, you’re in a safe space here!!

Edited by Kamome
  • Haha 5
Das Steinkopf
56 minutes ago, Kamome said:

Yeah my wife keeps saying how much she wants another EH500 for long haul cargo operations. 🤣

I keep saying no and that we need to prioritize passenger movement.

Don’t worry, you’re in a safe space here!!

Strangely enough my wife complains when I get more JRF locos or KoKi's in the mail but she doesn't mind passenger stock.

With the Kitty bus that will be my only venture in Kita Kyushu as my Kyushu stock is strictly limited to the Kumaden, given it's physically separated from JR Kyushu lines it makes it even more safer for me, my wife likes the Kumamon trains which gives me the excuse to model that line.

Ordered from AmiAmi:

Kato’s DX suburban platform - one each of the island and one-sided platform set and extension. 

Ordered from taobao, I hope: 16 black and grey coal wagons by Minitown 

5 hours ago, Das Steinkopf said:

Strangely enough my wife complains when I get more JRF locos or KoKi's in the mail but she doesn't mind passenger stock.

This seems to be a common theme with significant others. One benefit of being single, I can buy as many TaKis and KoKis as I want. Just have that little problem of having to subsist on peanut butter and crackers if I buy too many....

27 minutes ago, gcmr_new_zealand said:

are you going to use the lighting kit with them?

I’m thinking about it. It would add a fair bit to the cost, and I’d probably have to fix the wiring up before doing any gluing or ballast work, so. Hmm. I need to decide fairly soon, but not just now. Layout 2.0 doesn’t have a room yet. 

On 10/10/2019 at 12:56 PM, railsquid said:

As a wise man once said, you can never have enough EF64s:

48869626167_9b20d4820c_z.jpg

Tomix EF64 (0 series) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

As another wise man once said, you can never have enough EF65s:

48889311941_09ebf9f960_z.jpg

MicroAce EF65 (EF65 1074) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

especially when they're cheap as-new MicroAce ones no-one seems to want for whatever reasons. The only thing that sticks out (literally) are the number plates, which are somewhat chunky. Otherwise it has some quite fine detailing (whether it's accurate or not I don't know but it looks nice) including separate cab-door hand rails, as well as some random MicroAce-esque eccentricities such as coming pre-fitted with dummy couplers on either end, which can be replaced with the supplied MicroAce "floppy" Arnold couplers using a socket which is NEM-like but not quite. Also the centre bogie has electrical pickup, which I've never seen before.

As EF65 1074 (since renumbered to EF65 2074) this loco has been in service on the western side of the Musashino line so fits the layout narrative :).

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 5

It seems like MicroAce locomotives are really aimed at the more experienced and confident modeler. I’m happy to see members like @railsquidtaking advantage of the cheap models that are available as a result, even as I feel sympathy for the (presumably) naive and inexperienced buyers who are selling them. I think it’s going to be a long time before I buy another MA product. 

Still think you were just unlucky. I have plenty of micro ace trains and have no problem with any of them. *knock on wooden sleeper

• Like 1

They are certainly a bit of a "marmite" manufacturer. TBH unless you need a particular model which is only available from MA, the equivalent from Kato or Tomix will be a much safer bet.

On the other hand their stuff does usually come with all parts fitted, so you don't have the hassle of dealing with tiny flyaway plastic parts and potentially glue (and in the case of Tomix, rub-on numbers) to complete your model.

As far as I can remember, the only brand new at-retail-price MA product I've bought is the Keihan 800 series (which has been fine), everything else I've acquired in "good" second hand condition has also been fine, and all the cheap "poor/non-runner" stuff has been repairable. The only actual lemon I've had is the DD16, which despite having LED lighting has a prehistoric "split chassis/split bogie" design and stalls on corners.

Anyway, did someone mention KoKis?

I seem to have increased my collection of JRF-era ones by two-thirds (bringing it up to 5, which is a reasonable length for my layout), with the acquisition of what looks like the Tomix EF210 starter set, which came in a very useful Tomix generic 10-car book case for about 4,000 yen.

48889843457_6112f0e1a8_z.jpg

Tomix EF210 (EF210 109) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Unfortunately it's missing the side number plates, fortunately replacements are available.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 7
1 hour ago, railsquid said:

Anyway, did someone mention KoKis?

I seem to have increased my collection of JRF-era ones by two-thirds (bringing it up to 5, which is a reasonable length for my layout), with the acquisition of what looks like the Tomix EF210 starter set, which came in a very useful Tomix generic 10-car book case for about 4,000 yen.

Only five? It seems that I have a different view of reasonable...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sounds like how my JRF KoKi set got started. Now at eleven fully laden flats and the EF210...

Incidentally, if you buy the twelve car Tomix KoKi case the EF210 fits nicely in one of the KoKiFu slots. You just need to cut a small notch in the foam for the other pantograph, and cut one of the removable foam pieces to wedge it in place.

7 hours ago, nah00 said:

Only five? It seems that I have a different view of reasonable...

I'm more of a HoKi squid myself, but need something for the EF210s, EH500s etc. to haul, and 3 looked a bit short.

What I really want is a nice rake of black Taiheiyo Cement hoppers of the sort which pass through Nishi-Kokubunji around 4pm most days.

There is hope, Popondetta did white Taiheiyo HoKis from Sangi, not much of  stretch that they may do those ones too. Especially now that they seem to have the QC problems worked out.

Unless I'm mistaken it's the HoKi 10000 wot I keep seeing, which were available from Kawai, so just a question of being patient until some come up at a reasonable price.

From the latest auction grab-bag, a Modemo KiHa35/36:

48903937226_3461d44a2e_z.jpg

Modemo KiHa 35/KiHa 36 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

The mechanism is somewhat last century (mind you it appears to have been made in 1999) and various parts including roof ventilators need applying (all parts present in sealed bags) but makes a nice change from the usual Kato/Tomix/Microace stuff.

• Like 5

Ordered: Kato's V1 mainline passing set. This comprises 2x EP718-15, 2x switches, 2x R718-15 curves, 6x S248 and 2x S62 straights. Amazon charges $75 and offers free delivery tomorrow, which is a huge savings over buying individual pieces (and I didn't want a full set of four R718-15 curves anyway, just one). So that's a very happy / suitable set for me.

Purchased: 3 yards of hunter green fabric. That means, enough grassy surface for the 8'x4' (approx 2430 x 1215 mm) expanse of Layout 2.0

• Like 3
On 10/11/2019 at 6:46 PM, Das Steinkopf said:

No special truck with this one Sammy and I'm happy with that as I really wanted the steamroller for a roadworks scene.

I placed the buses that way as I wanted the print from the right side of the Kitty bus to be shown as the print on the top of the pack is the same as the left hand side, the Kitty bus is for my wife and has a nice link as we stayed in Kokura and Hakata on our last trip back in 2017.

Ahah ~ Nice! I got the steamroller truck too just to complete the series... 

By the way, I hope you do know that there are 4 more up-coming Hello-Kitty buses ~  🙂

https://www.tomytec.co.jp/diocolle/items/pdf/newitem_20190912_08.pdf

• Like 1

Mail arrived early today. KiHa 32 baby 0 Hobby Train arrived from MTP.

IMG_6492.jpg

Edited by RogerMc
  • Like 7
1 hour ago, RogerMc said:

Mail arrived early today. Kiha 32 baby 0 Hobby Train arrived from MTP.

IMG_6492.jpg

That's neat looking. Was it a special prototype or was it just made for the model?

14 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

glad nariichi still had some!

He posted on FB and I snagged it. My first MA. I was leery. Exceptionally light loco.