What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

I just ordered the Kato starter set featuring the same train (C57 Banetsu Monogatari sightseeing train) that Pauljag900 got at the top of the previous page. I'm hoping it will be here in about 3 weeks. I may have got one of the last few available sets.

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Das Steinkopf said:

The Yodobashi in Shinjuku is an awesome store, it is a bit of an oddity though as there is no one large store like Akihabara or other places, it is a group of satellite stores all in smaller buildings, the Toy and Hobby store is located on the corner and you will see a heap of Gatcha machines out the front, there is about 7 floors including the basement, the model rail section is on the 5th floor from memory.

It was moved to the basement recently.

I think the store originated there (that area was formerly called "Yodobashi") and has grown up higgeldy-piggeldy over the years.

Edited by railsquid
6 hours ago, Das Steinkopf said:

Kato Hobby Centre sells most of it's stock at full RRP

Yes full price but because of this you can find somethings you can’t always find elsewhere if you know what you’re looking for. 

I found the old style Emporers train and DD54 with flags in the old Kato store before the current one was properly renovated. I’ve never seen this Royal DD54 before or since so a nice find.

Enjoy it and maybe you’ll be inspired by something and it’ll be doubtful you’ll come out without a bag.

2 hours ago, Kamome said:

Yes full price but because of this you can find somethings you can’t always find elsewhere if you know what you’re looking for. 

I found the old style Emporers train and DD54 with flags in the old Kato store before the current one was properly renovated. I’ve never seen this Royal DD54 before or since so a nice find.

Enjoy it and maybe you’ll be inspired by something and it’ll be doubtful you’ll come out without a bag.

Hehe I didn’t even buy kato they had set A and B of the Evangelion 500 B train for 8200 yen which seems a lot cheaper than eBay.

going to buy motors for it now! Is a light kit possible?

The extension leads allow you to have the controller further away from the track. The reason I suggested one of each is that it means you can make up adapters and keep your options open with regards to power supply. Yes you can power the whole layout from the Tomix input, but equally if you want to split them at a later date and feed an all-Kato layout from a Tomix power supply (or vice versa) then you'll need adapters.

The wife came back from seeing her mom in Japan this past Tuesday and brought (some of) the stuff I had ordered and had deluevred to her sister's place, where she was staying.  Unfortunately, her sister had placed some of the boxes in a different place and so when they packed the stuff, not all of it made it.  Approximately 10-11 packs of track of various sorts and one Greenmax "pre-stained" overhead walk way are still at her sister's house.  We plan on going as a family in July so I will pick them up them.   Nothing I really needed.

Some of the slab track and some re-railers and some of the extra wide radius curves from KATO (unfortunately not much of the extra wide radius stuff made it but that is OK).  Also 4 KATO FL12 bi-polar function decoders, and 10 NGDCC bi-polar function decoders.  The decoders were the most important. And some Greenmax signs.  I had also asked for a couple packs of the sugarless mints.  She found a couple (not the same I had bought when we were there but that is fine) and got them, but then she was at Costco and she and her sister noticed Costco sized packages of mints as well, so I think I will be set for mints for the next 100 years.

IMG_0257.thumb.jpg.03f2ab58d9d80ce241f7c023928fc613.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Densha changed the title to What did you order or the post deliver? (N Gauge)

And another addition to my collection of obscurely specific MicroAce sets:

31844194877_5381f3d695_z.jpg

MicrAce 183 0/1500 series by Rail Squid, on Flickr

A 183 0/1500 series, as would have run 1993/1994 on Kaiji/Azusa services.

Generally very good condtion for a second-hand item, sold at a knock-down price because of this one major defect:

39820488153_da994e8b25_z.jpg

microace-a0569_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Which is aa not uncommon sight due to MicroAce's sometimes ridiculously tight packaging, but nothing a bit of scavenging from my MicroAce junk pile won't fix.

• Like 5
30 minutes ago, railsquid said:

And another addition to my collection of obscurely specific MicroAce sets:

Generally very good condtion for a second-hand item, sold at a knock-down price because of this one major defect:

I am seriously getting more jealous....  🙄

Not for long as my Twilight express is finally collected today! I am glad I ordered the full consist, this baby is SWEET!! 

20190118_172600.jpg

20190118_172653.jpg

20190118_172757.jpg

• Like 7

And of course, more buses! Cant wait to see if I got the secret variant this time!

Really loving the Kihas on the new Kitaro liveries, and Tomix did a lovely job (much better than the previous MA Kitaro liveries) plus a nice touch to include all 6 liveries into one single bookcase!

20190118_172110.jpg

20190118_172200.jpg

20190118_172244.jpg

20190118_172336.jpg

• Like 6
4 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

I am seriously getting more jealous....  🙄

Not for long as my Twilight express is finally collected today! I am glad I ordered the full consist, this baby is SWEET!!

Beautifull set sammy,good choice👍👍😀

i gave mine a bit of a service this morning before I boxed it away ready for the de construction of Japanese dream!

Can t wait to see it coming around the sweeping 480radius curves👍👍😀

I said Japanese dream as I ve used that name on all m y layouts so far and I think it’s time for a change,new layout,new name.

Got a few ideas but will ponder for now!!😂😂😂

Edited by Densha
Staff Comment - Shortened quote length
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
scotspensioner

I got mine second hand last year as a present to.myself on turning 70!!

The colour reminds me of the early BR Inter city dmus 

Enjoy it Sammy!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tomytec 145 Series arrivals:

The motor and other parts are in another parcel, thinking I might film a "how to Tomytec" video for YouTube when they arrive. It's a bit different as it uses a unique motor unit, but most of the procedure will be the same for any other unit.

• Like 7

The perfect use for all those plastic wheels from Tomytec upgrades; gather them up and load them onto the 145s?

• Like 2

I might well do that. Need to find some plastic tube to glue over the pinpoints and make the wooden chocks they use to stop them rolling around (split matchsticks should work for the latter) There's a video of this unit being exhibited at the museum in Kyoto which includes plenty of shots of the demonstration load, including wheelsets and a pantograph. That said, I'd rather load something with a bit of weight to it, the power unit only has four driven wheels and I suspect adhesion may be lacking. Tomytec seem to be suggesting motorising both vehicles depending on your layout, which I take as meaning it won't be keen on gradients.

Has anyone seen photos of one of these working in multiple with other units, like KuMoYas and so on?

• Like 2

Kato 10-847 E259 Narita Express and 10848 add-on set. Have to get decoder(s) for these.

Also the Tomix 92488 700a Shinkansen 8 car add-on set B. I have absolutely no idea where I will run a 16 car Shinkansen out here but I had to have it!

• Like 3

Fitted the aerials to the cab roofs. Two things to note: The baseplate for one of them is now very thin, and you don't get the usual lengths of plastic track to park the vehicles on. Yep, I need to dab some paint on the white lines where the plastic bent unexpectedly...

Just ordered:

• Kato 3065-5 EF510-500 JRF Color (Silver) (Model Train) N Scale,1/150 Electric Locomotive
  • Kato 8025 WARA1 (2-Car Set) (Model Train) N Scale,1/150 Freight Car
  • Kato 8001 TOKI15000 (Model Train) N Scale,1/150 Freight Car
  • Kato 8022 YO8000 (Model Train) N Scale,1/150 Freight Car

Subtotal :   8,640 yen

eeeeeeeeeeee :)

The motor bits turned up for the KuMoRu 145:

I've added Kato Shibatas to the outer ends, it can handle an extra trailer on level track. Possibly two, the GreenMax KuMoYa 90-100 I was running it with earlier has quite high drag pickups compared to Kato or Tomytec trailers.

• Like 5

Went to Omiya today for the Tomix World pre-relocation sales.

1548503039767993194258.thumb.jpg.a621cf54035ead2e2c203f3a209e06ac.jpg

They were running a sort of 'lucky dip' to clear assorted excess stock with a generous helping of freebies. Everything except the upgrades for the 123 series was from 3 goes at the lucky dip for 500 yen a go.

• Like 5

Not strictly delivered by the mail, because I actually have a local hobby store I want to support. So I bought most of the tracks I need to add to the starter pack. I balked at the WX310 for $75(!) and they didn’t have rerailers but otherwise I’m all set. 37ECF191-24C9-450A-858E-AF0F25B93FBA.thumb.jpeg.680f406549752c113dcf4678f3b5e937.jpeg

• Like 3

That was a good lucky dip! I've been watching Shigemon on YouTube who spent the equivalent of about £300 on a couple of "lucky bags" from model shops at new year. The contents were things I'd be happy to have, but that's a lot more cash than I'd spend on a blind bag. ¥500 a go is more my budget!

Every now and again I place a speculative first and only bid on something going cheap that I would like to have, but am not desperate for ("Rule 1.5"), and sometimes no-one else does, so here's a Kato 251 series in original livery:

31963961177_ba5b3e3e96_z.jpg

Kato 251 series by Rail Squid, on Flickr

For a model which is over 25 years old, it's in very good shape.

There is some evidence these have occasionally run on charter trains on parts of the Chuo Line, which serves as a somewhat contrived justification :).

• Like 4