BVE5 virtual zenmen tenbou Videos

Guest keio6000

Guest keio6000

I'm not sure if you're aware, but the popular (and free) BVE (formerly "Boso View Express") train simulator continues to mature.  Not to wax philosophical about it, but this shows the limtis of "free" - had this superb sim been sold for even a moderate price sufficient to support the hobbyist developer, well, he'd be a richer man and the rest of us would have it for multiple platforms (train simulators make a LOT of sense on iPAD).  But i digress.

Enthusiastic and talented volunteers continue to produce high quality routes for BVE5.  These often make more satisfying "cab view" videos than the real thing (especially for subways) as there is no glass reflection, no screaming children, and, crucially, no real restriction on the routes that can be modeled.

You can do a search on youtube for "BVE5" to find some.  The quality varies.  Here are some interesting ones:

Ginza Line from the Ueno Depot (!) to Shibuya:  I dont understand why this video has so man thumbs down on youtube.

Keihan Keishin line.  Amazing line!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKD_ex88b-A

Keio line shijuku to keio hachioji.  gives a great feel for suburban tokyo private line operations

Ito line.  not the most detailed sceneray, but  a lot of small detail in the video nevertheless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXb1P5nh_kM

Tokyo Monorail Hamamatsucho to Haneda

Tama monorail.  shows the high quality possible (though the line has some bugs)

The other 'open secret' is that if you need sound files for your layout or other projects, you can download the BVE route and find the files you need from there.  Good especially for train announcements.

there are of course many many more videos on youtube.  enjoy!

• Like 2

Damn. I used to play around with Open BVE a bit and bash trains together, but BVE 5 looks hella good! Time to break out the Wine again for the occasional run!

I downloaded this a few weeks ago and was very impressed!! Still not totally sure how to control the train yet but will read up a bit on it :)

Guest keio6000

I am, err, obviously a Keio fan.  With a little embarassment therefore I note that I've never actually ridden the keio keibajo line.  at 900m long, it's one of the shortest lines in japan.

BVE to the rescue!  and, because one thereand back run on the keibajo line just wont cut it, this video has 6 back to back runs, all patiently done by our cameraman wanman driver/conductor.  i haven't bothered to check if the route creator made something interesting (horses loose from the racetrack on the tracks!) happen on the 5th or 6th run to reward the patient ...  the keio branded bit of lineside equipment, visible in the video when you return to higashi-fuchu, is a nice touch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9GiJpc6ugU